General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yay - New MCS Convertibile after 12 years

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:19 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yay - New MCS Convertibile after 12 years

Hi all!

So, I love Mini. I have a 2006 cool blue mini cooper s convertible I bought in 2005 and after 142k miles, I ordered a new one on Sat. It's Carribean blue. Inside is all over satilite gray and a Piana black dash. So excited.

Just had to share!

Old 08-03-2017, 03:28 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
It will be interesting to hear the comparisons between the two. You trading the vert in?

Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 AM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
Oh, that is a good idea. I will write up a post about the two. It's really the same car 12 years later. Mostly the same packages, leather seats, Convertiable S. There are just a few differences

- 2006 manual while the 2018 is an automatic.
- 2006 did NOT have navigation and the 2018 does
- 2006 did NOT have the sports package and the 2018 does.

It's going to be a long 10 weeks waiting for the car.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The new model will be faster but there are those that say the 06 feels faster although it is going slower.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:56 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Congrats would love to see pics when you get it. Thats a big jump from a gen 1 to gen 3.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-03-2017, 05:45 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
The new model will be faster but there are those that say the 06 feels faster although it is going slower.
It rides a little different for sure. It's not quite a go carty from what I can tell. I think it's the size. It got bigger and feels like "mini" when I drive it.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Congrats would love to see pics when you get it. Thats a big jump from a gen 1 to gen 3.
I'll post photos. I love the new color.

What is interesting is there was no other car I even though of getting. I did test drive the Series 3 and the Audi convertible - boring. ;-) I love Mini.

This is the color I got. Same color, same stripes and same inside. I think those are the same wheels too. I wanted 18's but I live in San Francisco and i just thought they would be to jarring.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:45 AM
oldyankee
1st Gear
Beautiful! My wife does not want to drive our 05 R52 w/six speed so an automatic may be in our future as well. I'll be looking forward to your comparison comments.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 PM
contented
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
We ordered a 2017 MCS convertible in Caribbean Aqua w/ the white bonnet stripes. Base interior, union jack on top, automatic and backup camera, etc. 14k miles in a year. We love the car. The only mistake I made was not upgrading the base 16" wheels to 17". At first you'll think the Pirelli Centurato P7 run flats are ok. Just replaced them w/ !6" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. The difference is unbelievable, its like a different car. I'd have preferred the summer Michelin Pilot Super Sport but they aren't available in 16". 17" offers a much wider selection of tires.

Enjoy your new car.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:34 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by contented
We ordered a 2017 MCS convertible in Caribbean Aqua w/ the white bonnet stripes. Base interior, union jack on top, automatic and backup camera, etc. 14k miles in a year. We love the car. The only mistake I made was not upgrading the base 16" wheels to 17". At first you'll think the Pirelli Centurato P7 run flats are ok. Just replaced them w/ !6" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. The difference is unbelievable, its like a different car. I'd have preferred the summer Michelin Pilot Super Sport but they aren't available in 16". 17" offers a much wider selection of tires.

Enjoy your new car.
Thanks, I got the 17 inch wheels. I almost went for 18 inches, but I live in San Fransciso and I'm a bit scared about how jarring the ride will be on potholes.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
With the 17" you will be a little safer. If you ditch the factory run flats its will ride much smoother and if down the road you want to change the wheels 16" is the most comfortable and the smallest size to clear those front brakes.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-06-2017, 09:27 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
It's built!!!! Waiting at the dock for the boat. Can't wait

Old 09-07-2017, 05:53 AM
contented
2nd Gear
If you want to have some fun, find out the name of the ship its going to travel on (your dealer knows). Then use google to find a ship tracker and watch as the ship goes from port to port. On my 17 MCS convertible the ship (with my car) went from the Netherlands to Germany then England before crossing the Atlantic. Google Earth is way cool for a closeup look at the ports, especially at the USA arrival/distribution center. The cars are parked very close together. The ships holds thousands of cars. Think about the complexity and scale of loading/unloading/storing and ultimately shipping to a dealer in an efficient manner.

Enjoy.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:44 AM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by contented
If you want to have some fun, find out the name of the ship its going to travel on (your dealer knows). Then use google to find a ship tracker and watch as the ship goes from port to port. On my 17 MCS convertible the ship (with my car) went from the Netherlands to Germany then England before crossing the Atlantic. Google Earth is way cool for a closeup look at the ports, especially at the USA arrival/distribution center. The cars are parked very close together. The ships holds thousands of cars. Think about the complexity and scale of loading/unloading/storing and ultimately shipping to a dealer in an efficient manner.

Enjoy.
This is so cool. It's on the boat. I will do exactly what you said. How cool. Mini should build an app with Google maps to show this.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
OMG, how amazing cool. The boat just passed the azores....

Attached Thumbnails Yay - New MCS Convertibile after 12 years-untitled.jpeg  
Old 09-30-2017, 05:45 PM
contented
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by galaxygrrl
OMG, how amazing cool. The boat just passed the azores....
As you've no doubt discovered by now, the free ship trackers don't update (or at least the one I used didn't) the ship's position out on the open ocean. Once the vessel gets nearer to the US coast, the positioning gets updated again. Mine visited several US ports before finally getting offloaded on Ga.

Don't forget to use google earth at the port.

Last edited by contented; 09-30-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:51 AM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
Yep, I noticed that. It went from the Azores to Baltimore. Now, it's going down the East coast to the Pamama Canal. This is so much fun. Thank you for suggesting it.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:36 AM
contented
2nd Gear
Now I'm kind of excited for you. What is the name of your ship? I'd like to watch it continue it's journey thru the Ditch.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
The name of the ship is "Morning Courier" all you need to do is google the name. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Also, I think what is just as cool is I named my car today ( I've never named a car because I could never figure a good one out), but I'm naming this car Arya. A fierce, speedly little car that can kick butt. (Game of Thrones reference for those who don't watch the show)

Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Lefooey
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You’ll have to get a couple of grille badge holders and regularly change the badges. Many-faced god, you know.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:47 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
My car has made it through the Panama Canal! and is on it's way up the coast via Mexico and arrives jsut north of LA in 5 days.

Originally Posted by Lefooey
You’ll have to get a couple of grille badge holders and regularly change the badges. Many-faced god, you know.
I'm going to have to do something to make this car more Arya like. I was thinking of vanity plates, but I wont spend the money - and I bet Arya is taken anyway. I was thinking maybe a Stark Banner Sticker on the window.

But what I really want to be able to do is change the color. It's too bad that is not simple.

Anyway, back to the boat, this is so much fun watching the boat. Thanks for the tip.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:30 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be careful. With her grill changing all the time she might be hard to find in the parking lot.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Congrats and the wait is the best part.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
Ugh....the wait is killing me. I'm not sure it's the best part - driving her home will be fun! - But watching the boat is a blast.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:39 PM
contented
2nd Gear
Once the ship reaches your port it will be yet more time untill they get it on the truck to your dealer. Ours got lost in the shuffle for 5-6 days. Dealer didn't know where car was at. :-( The anticipation almost becomes too much. :-) It was a good day when our MA sent us a picture of ours coming of the truck. We then knew delivery was near.

What port is your mini headed to?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:11 AM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
My car is in the US! It went to Port Heuneme which is right north of LA. It needs to make it to San Francisco.