General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th gen MINI

Old 02-19-2017, 07:42 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
4th gen MINI

I heard that the new engines will come out this fall. While I love the torque of my '15S, my previous N18 seemed to rev better in the higher ranges. Do we have any spies around here?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:49 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I think the upcoming changes are just a facelift (LCA), not a new generation. It'll probably be a few years before we see a 4th gen.

--Matt

Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

According to Motoringfile, there will be new engines and a DCT transmission. That's more than a facelift.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
"The update will include a revised family of newly refined engines that will produce slightly more power and be slightly more efficient (Confirmed for the Cooper and Cooper S)"

http://www.motoringfile.com/2017/02/...transmissions/

Old 02-21-2017, 04:43 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mattkosem
I think the upcoming changes are just a facelift (LCA), not a new generation. It'll probably be a few years before we see a 4th gen.

--Matt
LCI ("Life Cycle Impulse" in BMW-speak).

Otherwise correct: the MF rumors suggest that the 2018 changes are simply a facelift -- albeit a rather significant one -- rather than a replacement for the F56. With a typical 7-year lifecycle, the next truly new MINI should be in showrooms around 2021-2022.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Wanderlustsrt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So essentially it sounds like generation 3.5? New engine, New transmission, New styling exterior. Does anyone know if interior and suspension has been changed at all?

I really have grown to love my R56 after doing maintenance, new brakes, new shocks, new plugs, and courtesy of the dealer new fuel pump. I see why everyone is so into these little cars now. But in about a 20-25K miles (a year and 3 months for me) I may upgrade if the gen 3.5 is compelling.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Yojinbo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderlustsrt
So essentially it sounds like generation 3.5? New engine, New transmission, New styling exterior. Does anyone know if interior and suspension has been changed at all?

I really have grown to love my R56 after doing maintenance, new brakes, new shocks, new plugs, and courtesy of the dealer new fuel pump. I see why everyone is so into these little cars now. But in about a 20-25K miles (a year and 3 months for me) I may upgrade if the gen 3.5 is compelling.
Two things that popped into my head: MINI is a relatively small part of BMW and with the adoption of modular engines, engine changes are likely to be minor and driven by developmental work done by BMW. I doubt that MINI spends much $$ on engine development. A new engine is still going to be a 1.5L triple with a few tweaks and larger or additonal turbine or new head to reduce emissions and slightly increase HP or torque. They're not going to drop a blown straight-6 in a MINI. Also, the MINI shape/stance are iconic and a huge part of why people buy MINI and not a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. So any cosmetic changes are also likely to be evolutionary and minor so as not to upset the applecart. A new bumper or chin spoiler, but the changes to the round lights and the grill and distinctive MINI parts are going to be so subtle that the casual observer probably won't notice. Just my opinion.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Wanderlustsrt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...hots-and-video

These guys seem to think BMW usa power trains will be updated 2.0. If there is no 1.5 in any BMW in the USA there will not be a 1.5 in mini as it would have to certify that engine for emissions in the USA and I doubt usa mini sales justify that. I bet we get something comparable to the lowest available engine in the 2 series when it gets its updates at the same time. Although a boosted 3 cylinder would sound pretty cool if rung out.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:41 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dpcompt
According to Motoringfile, there will be new engines and a DCT transmission. That's more than a facelift.

We've seen MINI go through a mid cycle refresh before during each generation so we have a pretty good idea what to expect.

TL;DR: Not enough changes to warrant a redesign, but enough where we actually have a term for these mid-cycle refresh. Non-MINI people wouldn't even notice unless comparing side by side.

LCI updates are usually tweaks to the existing design, albeit more than a model year to model year change. Engines will be tweaked, but they'll be the same basic engine. Probably a retune for more output, better mpg, and response. The overall body design will be the same, but some things like the headlights and tail lights will be tweaked. New technologies will be introduced; for example, the touchscreen nav currently available on the F54 and F60 will then be available across the model lineup. Carplay will be offered, updated driver assistance systems, and rearview cameras will be standard.

The 4th gen models (G56, G55, etc.) will be a completely different car. All new engines, all new interior/exterior designs, new chassis, new car. BMW/MINI tend to do new generations every 7 years so we will probably see 4th gen MINIs in 2020 as a 2021 model.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...hots-and-video

These guys seem to think BMW usa power trains will be updated 2.0. If there is no 1.5 in any BMW in the USA there will not be a 1.5 in mini as it would have to certify that engine for emissions in the USA and I doubt usa mini sales justify that. I bet we get something comparable to the lowest available engine in the 2 series when it gets its updates at the same time. Although a boosted 3 cylinder would sound pretty cool if rung out.
BMW does use the 3-cylinder in plenty of other models though. In addition to the i8 (which is a great example of what the B38 is capable of) and the entire MINI lineup, the 3-cylinder is also found in other overseas BMW models like the 118i, the 218i, the 318i, and the X1 sDrive18i AND a detuned version of the 3-cylinder is found in the MINI One across the pond. There's enough models that use the 3-cylinder to justify the R&D cost and the stricter Euro emissions standards make it easier to meet US standards.

Search this Thread