North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   So I bought the Schwaben Scan Tool... Review and Q&A (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/299852-so-i-bought-the-schwaben-scan-tool-review-and-q-and-a.html)

martinb 04-28-2016 05:44 PM

As I recall, it's just an activate function for the pump. Haven't actually tried it yet but it's there and the folks at Schwaben assure me that it works.

As for the bleeding procedure, I'm not familiar with it. I let BR Racing do all my brake bleeds.

HaveATank 05-25-2016 07:55 PM

I just purchased this tool get it tomorrow if it doesnt clear ABS or adaptations it will be going right back. once they have all this features i will consider getting it again. If they are trying to sell something made for a MINI i think it should do everything. I own an R53 and R56 so ill see what it can and cannot do.

ECSTuning 05-26-2016 07:51 AM

It will clear the ABS, i just used it one Gen1 and Gen 2. The adaptation thing is for certain models, have not tested it on gen 2 automatics. It does more then read codes, you cant test functionality, which most cant do. Which is great for troubleshooting.

Also it will find stored codes and codes in the HVAC system, Footwell module, window faults etc..

Also it comes with 18 month updates for free, as more functions are added you can update.

GeneralSpecific 06-04-2016 03:26 PM

Has anyone been successful in using the tool to reset the service intervals? I changed my oil last weekend and while it did read out the percentage remaining it would NOT reset it. I have to say I'm very disappointed!
ECS - You've got an R58 like me, have you had any luck?

HaveATank 06-04-2016 03:51 PM

Well it going back. It will not clear adaptations or Airbag (in my previous post input abs by mistake). For ab r53 this tools is pretty useless. Maybe better for an r56. The software on this is the same as the one on an autel which is from 2010. So dont hold your breath for them to update this for an R53.

jamez 06-05-2016 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific (Post 4214470)
Has anyone been successful in using the tool to reset the service intervals? I changed my oil last weekend and while it did read out the percentage remaining it would NOT reset it. I have to say I'm very disappointed! ECS - You've got an R58 like me, have you had any luck?

I reset the interval, but I was NOT able to CHANGE the interval on an R53 (which I would consider an advanced coding feature that I do want)

GeneralSpecific 06-05-2016 04:54 PM

I'm not really bothered not being able to change the interval, I just want what I consider to be one of the most basic features... Interesting that it works for R53 and not R58.

I couldn't get it to pulse the ABS either...

jamez 06-05-2016 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by RB-MINI (Post 4202421)
Is there an actual brake bleed command/procedure to trigger the ABS pump, or do you just have to trigger the pump for each caliper at the right time? First gen, if it matters.

Yes it will trigger the ABS pump, and individual valves if you wish.

https://vimeo.com/158806259

Sorry, I haven't messed around with it enough to know the bleeding procedure yet.

ECSTuning 06-06-2016 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific (Post 4214470)
Has anyone been successful in using the tool to reset the service intervals? I changed my oil last weekend and while it did read out the percentage remaining it would NOT reset it. I have to say I'm very disappointed!
ECS - You've got an R58 like me, have you had any luck?

Yes, i got it to reset the airbags, reset the oil service and service intervals , and used it on both R52 and R58 models. Make sure you check out Jamez video on how to activate functions. Then let me know.

GearheadS 10-25-2016 03:02 PM

Mild thread resurrection! I have a 2005 MCS Convertible.

I've read the threads but am unclear on a few things:

1) Does this tool show live engine parameter data while the engine is running - things like Fuel Trim, Engine Temp, O2 Sensor Voltage, etc? If so, does it show just numbers, or will it graph them?

2) Will this tool reset the fuel trim adaptations? (I may have that term slightly wrong.)

3) Do I understand correctly that you can buy other manufacturer's modules - common ones like Toyota or Ford, for example?

4) Will it read basic OBDII codes on any OBDII car?

Thanks, Jeremy

njaremka 10-25-2016 03:16 PM

I have another question: can the tool be used to turn off the "bulb out" check? (Additionally, can the tool be used as an alternative to the NCS expert software for re-coding?)

RB-MINI 10-25-2016 04:29 PM

To add to the questions... will this tool display the auto trans fluid temperature on a first gen R53?

GearheadS 10-27-2016 04:33 PM

Hey all, still wondering the following:

1) Does this tool show live engine parameter data while the engine is running - things like Fuel Trim, Engine Temp, O2 Sensor Voltage, etc? If so, does it show just numbers, or will it graph them?

2) Will this tool reset the fuel trim adaptations? (I may have that term slightly wrong.)

3) Do I understand correctly that you can buy other manufacturer's modules - common ones like Toyota or Ford, for example?

5) Does it have ways to test, say, the TMAP sensor? I know it reads the code that is thrown, but does it have some active way of testing the response, resistance, or other characteristic of the sensors in order to pinpoint a bad one? (I have a P0171 error which means system lean, could be any of several things.)

Thanks!

GeneralSpecific 10-28-2016 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by GearheadS (Post 4253745)
Hey all, still wondering the following:

5) Does it have ways to test, say, the TMAP sensor? I know it reads the code that is thrown, but does it have some active way of testing the response, resistance, or other characteristic of the sensors in order to pinpoint a bad one? (I have a P0171 error which means system lean, could be any of several things.)

Thanks!

1. Yes - all that. It can graph them.
2. I beleive so. I know that I have reset adaptations but I think it will do what you need.
3. The manufacturer does make other modules for the OEM scan tool (which ECS rebrands as Schwaben) but I can't guess as to whether you can add them. I'd call ECS and speak with them directly to confirm.
4. Yes - I've used it on my father's Ford. It can also do basic OBD type codes.
5. I don't know what a PMAP sensor is but if it reports data over the CAN bus I'd say you have a good chance of getting at that data. Specific tests are another matter - I doubt it. You're probably going to have to look up what "normal" is for the component and compare that to your car.

RB-MINI:
I think it does show auto trans temp but I don't remember.

njaremka:
No. (I wish!:razz:)

frankthetank77 12-09-2016 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific (Post 4254001)
1. Yes - all that. It can graph them.
2. I beleive so. I know that I have reset adaptations but I think it will do what you need.
3. The manufacturer does make other modules for the OEM scan tool (which ECS rebrands as Schwaben) but I can't guess as to whether you can add them. I'd call ECS and speak with them directly to confirm.
4. Yes - I've used it on my father's Ford. It can also do basic OBD type codes.
5. I don't know what a PMAP sensor is but if it reports data over the CAN bus I'd say you have a good chance of getting at that data. Specific tests are another matter - I doubt it. You're probably going to have to look up what "normal" is for the component and compare that to your car.

RB-MINI:
I think it does show auto trans temp but I don't remember.

njaremka:
No. (I wish!:razz:)

I ordered one, and should be here today! I'm curious to get my codes read as my 2011 R60 has been acting up lately. Twice in the last month it's had a hard time starting and twice again it's given me half power warning while the car was struggling to run (all on separate occasions). What's infuriating :mad: about all of this is the engine, turbo, and DME are all less than a year old. Long story, but this shouldn't be happening again!

Nice write up by the way! :popcorn:

GeneralSpecific 12-11-2016 06:41 PM

Frank, I'm gonna take a SWAG and say it's your high pressure fuel pump. Prepare your wallet... :(
Look for fuel pump related codes, and check your fuel rail pressure.

Minnie.the.Moocher 12-11-2016 09:12 PM

HPFP is probably going to be covered so keep wallet in pocket.

frankthetank77 12-12-2016 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific (Post 4264743)
Frank, I'm gonna take a SWAG and say it's your high pressure fuel pump. Prepare your wallet... :(
Look for fuel pump related codes, and check your fuel rail pressure.

Geez...I hope you're wrong. The Dealer replaced that just over a year ago...

GeneralSpecific 12-12-2016 07:17 PM

I hope I'm wrong on both counts! (coverage and/or cause)
Let us know how you get on.

frankthetank77 12-13-2016 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific (Post 4265021)
I hope I'm wrong on both counts! (coverage and/or cause)
Let us know how you get on.

I do have to say you weren't far off though. While driving home last night she started to sputter and lose power. Pulled over and let her idle, and she just shut off. Luckily, I wasn't to far off from my indi and limped over and had them scan it. Came back with a bunch of low pressure fuel codes. The mechanic took it for a quick drive and said when he put a load on it the low pressure fuel reading would drop to 0...he even had a hard time getting back to the shop.

Jumped on the phone with the dealer, which is 2.5hrs south, and let them know they would be getting my car. Tow truck showed up about an hour later and off she went...:sad:

Did get a call from the dealer this morning saying they were going to get going on it soon. Now we wait!:sad:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...71db107fd6.jpg

lajya 04-18-2017 01:47 AM

a good thread... have read lots of thread about Schwaben tool and Foxwell tool
most say no difference except the shape
and i did see someone post a photo of his Schwaben tool manual and "Foxwell NT510" there

my question is Schwaben for $200 and Foxwell tool for $150... same tool with different brands? marketing tricks?

i'm considering this one http://www.eobdtool.co.uk/wholesale/...m-scanner.html

anyone has experience of this Foxwell nt510?

knbond1 05-23-2017 01:26 PM

Did you end up buying this tool? Was it able to clear this adaptation for you?? I have the exact same code with mine and did the same checks. Thanks

Originally Posted by macnagaf (Post 4189008)
I need a fuel trim adaptation reset. I have a P2096 code and I have already checked for leaks in the intake tract and there was nothing. Switched my O2 sensors out for new ones and now need to reset the adaptations to get rid of the code and pass inspection by the end of March :eek:

knbond1 05-31-2017 08:29 PM

Did this not clear adaptations? I want to get one for my 06' r53 to clear a fuel adaptation and have been trying to see peoples experience with it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by HaveATank (Post 4214478)
Well it going back. It will not clear adaptations or Airbag (in my previous post input abs by mistake). For ab r53 this tools is pretty useless. Maybe better for an r56. The software on this is the same as the one on an autel which is from 2010. So dont hold your breath for them to update this for an R53.

rrob311 06-13-2017 04:14 PM

05 mini cvt adaptation

Will this unit work to adapt the cvt for an 05?

GeneralSpecific 06-20-2017 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by rrob311 (Post 4308323)
Will this unit work to adapt the cvt for an 05?

I am not sure; I think it may. I had to do a CVT adaptation for a '03 but I used a laptop to do it.

If I remember (no guarantees) I can check my girlfriend's car this weekend to see if the option is available.
Hopefully someone else can get you an answer sooner.