General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought the Schwaben Scan Tool... Review and Q&A

Old 03-26-2016, 05:49 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Schwaben Scan Tool Menu Map R53

That's funny, yesterday I mapped the interface for the R53's

The graphic is huge so I've cut it down into more manageable chunks

Check it out here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9631244&type=3

Things to note:
Some things may work differently on differently optioned cars. For instance, my OE stereo is removed, so I could not control those features to document. I have left some documentation intentionally off as it was getting pretty deep. Any right facing arrows just mean there is more to this specific feature.

The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (10-28-2019)
Old 03-26-2016, 09:19 AM
bheights
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice! You did a great job. It really helps to see the bigger picture and how may layers deep it can get.

One of the things I quickly learned is how uncomfortable it is to type inside the car. At first, I had the laptop in my car with one hand on the scan tool and trying to type into the spreadsheet. But then I realized I can just use my phone camera to record while scrolling through the menu items then play it back in the comforts of the living room to fill out the spreadsheet.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:26 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Thx. Yah I was typing/creating it on my Microsoft Surface whilts in the driver seat. The Surface is small enough, but it sure did take a while.

I used a free site to create it:
www.draw.io

lets see if a direct image can be posted. Larger "zooms" for the R53 map is available on my earlier link.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 AM
bheights
1st Gear
As I was continuing my scan tool documentation process this morning, I ran the Auto Scan feature and found this error.

8040A9/Intermittent - START-STOP button hall effect sensor Incorrect operation (pressure oblique)

Looks like I'll have to bring it to the dealer to have it checked out. I haven't noticed any problems with my START-STOP so I wonder if this is a real problem or not.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:41 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Great, you have a problem you didn't even know you had. I hate it when that happens..

Old 03-27-2016, 07:04 PM
SupeR53
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Software, fixing problems you didn't know that you had in ways that you can't understand...
Great thread BTW

Old 03-27-2016, 09:17 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Great, you have a problem you didn't even know you had. I hate it when that happens..
I'd suggest doing what I do... clear the code and see if it comes back

Awesome work everybody! I really wanted to do mapping of the menus but I've not had the time available. I am glad that I was able to start a conversation about it, though, and even better that others have the time to add to the information.

As far as adaptations are concerned, I used the tool to reset my valvetronic adaptations this weekend following some work I'd done. It worked nicely.

Jamez, could you post all your images here? I think it'll help others, to have it all in one spot. (plus, I don't have a Facebook account )

Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 PM
bheights
1st Gear
I'm okay with some problems with the car as long as it's covered under the warranty. Nothing is perfect. With a tool like this, one can become a bit of a hypochondriac. I'm hoping to make a good use out of this investment by running the auto scan on a regular basis to check for codes and take snapshots of the OBD data to see if there are any noticeable trends. Since this tool can be used for other car makers with the purchase of additional software modules, I'm planning to get the VW/Audi module so I can keep an eye on my wife's car as well.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:00 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific
Jamez, could you post all your images here? I think it'll help others, to have it all in one spot. (plus, I don't have a Facebook account )

I am in the process of making my own video review, and was trying to keep things quiet until I was finished, but once bheights posted his, it made sense to post the R53's as well.
Anyway, since I don't want to hijack your thread, and since my review is specific to the R53, I've created my own thread in the 1st gen forum.

I've posted the zoomed map images over there, and will post my video review there as well (when it's done late April)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eo-review.html

Old 04-09-2016, 03:07 PM
bheights
1st Gear
Here is everything I can document for the Mini F56 portion of the tool in a Google Sheets format. Some areas are greyed out as the tool indicates it could not communicate with the car.

There are 790 rows in the sheet manually typed in so please excuse any typos.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...3rzU0g/pubhtml

Old 04-11-2016, 08:06 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Nice, it shows an error link right now.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM
bheights
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Nice, it shows an error link right now.
Hmm... can't replicate the problem. It works for me even when I'm not logged into Google. Anyone else getting an error?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, shows an error for me?

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
good for me.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:12 AM
bheights
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
good for me.
Good to know. Thanks! Here is the CSV file if anyone wants it.

The 2nd tab has the OBD Live Data fields if you want to log data from your car onto the spreadsheet. I can't say the description of each item is 100% accurate as I couldn't find them on the Foxwell site. Instead, I found them from the Snap-on scanner manual.

Attached Files
Old 04-11-2016, 11:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Very nice, funny that google doc link did not work for me.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I have to ask those of you who have this unit whether I'd be able to reprogram a new OEM CD player head unit into my 2012 R58S with this thing, and if it seems like a fairly easy and straightforward process? I'd rather not have to pay the dealership if I can avoid it!

Old 04-19-2016, 05:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I believe it will not reprogram a new head unit, i could not find that in the stereo section on my R58. Just a bunch of read out and test functions.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:08 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I believe it will not reprogram a new head unit, i could not find that in the stereo section on my R58. Just a bunch of read out and test functions.
Nuts. That's too bad. Off to the dealership I go, I guess.

Thanks for checking though, ECS. Much appreciated!

Old 04-19-2016, 11:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:24 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jamez
I am in the process of making my own video review, and was trying to keep things quiet until I was finished, but once bheights posted his, it made sense to post the R53's as well.
Anyway, since I don't want to hijack your thread, and since my review is specific to the R53, I've created my own thread in the 1st gen forum.

I've posted the zoomed map images over there, and will post my video review there as well (when it's done late April)

I've posted my R53 video review over on the other 1st gen thread:

The following users liked this post:
Grand-Cayman (03-12-2021)
Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought the Schwaben tool a while back when I needed to diagnose a convertible top failure. It was helpful and did the job. Nowhere can I find any fuctionality that will allow programming of the convenience functions but for me, that's not a big deal. This tool does just about everything else, though. It pretty much paid for itself when I was dealing with my top malfunctions and then, more recently, when I was experiencing a hesitation in accelleration it diagnosed a bad MAP sensor which I replaced myself. That alone more than paid for the tool.

Very satisfied.

Oh, and it seems it'll do the basic OBDII scans on ANY vehicle. You just won't get all the advanced stuff that's Mini specific.

Last edited by martinb; 04-28-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:19 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by martinb
....Nowhere can I find any fuctionality that will allow programming of the convenience functions but for me, that's not a big deal. This tool does just about everything else, though.... more recently, when I was experiencing a hesitation in accelleration it diagnosed a bad MAP sensor which I replaced myself.
If it was an R52, I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any "coding"... As you say... Haven't found it yet.

Ooohhh... Tell us more about the MAP (or was it the TMAP at the front?). Did the machine tell you via a code scan that it was faulty? I'm getting hesitation as well, and am trying to work out where from

Old 04-28-2016, 04:13 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is another program, I forget what it's called, that does do the coding for the convenience features on the 2nd gen and later. At least that's my recollection.

For my car, a first gen full JCW cab, it pretty much does none of those. But that's fine. It does many other things that regular OBDII scanners won't do. Like tickling the ABS pump for bleeding brakes, reading fault codes in the body, including the convertible top, etc.

As for the MAP sensor, it was the one on the intake side of the supercharger. It's located on a bracket just to the right of the cylinder head. (On a first gen.) I forgot what the code fault read like, but it was obvious it needed replacing after doing the scan. 150 bucks (ouch) but I already had the tool and replacing it took only a few minutes and I was back in business.

Not sure, but I think a regular OBDII scanner would have picked this fault up as well.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:28 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Is there an actual brake bleed command/procedure to trigger the ABS pump, or do you just have to trigger the pump for each caliper at the right time? First gen, if it matters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I bought the Schwaben Scan Tool... Review and Q&A