North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   Key and Fob (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/293540-key-and-fob.html)

joedotmac 09-22-2015 11:53 AM

Key and Fob

Bought a 2011 MCS just a couple months back. Came with one key and one fob. The key won't stay secure in the fob. Holding just the key portion a slight downward and upward motion will separate the fob. The what appears to be release button on the fob does nothing from what I can tell.

I procured a new fob and the security of the key isn't much better if any. The key will not positively in any way secure or latch into the fob.

Possible an issue with the key?

What is the normal or expected properly functioning key/fob action needed to secure and or separate? What's the function of what appears to be a release button on the fob?

Slave to Felines 09-22-2015 04:33 PM

The key is supposed to stay in the fob until you press the button. Then it should be able to slide out. Mine doesn't stay in that securely, and seems to be getting looser with age and use.

Not sure how it can be fixed, though.

grueinthebox 09-23-2015 04:01 PM

I've had 6 different keys for three different MINIs, plus those I've encountered for loaners and such. I once laundered one of my keys by accident (it still worked fine after, if anyone's interested). Out of all those keys I've never had the key come out of the fob unintentionally. I'm going to go with "not normal".

joedotmac 09-27-2015 12:22 PM

This is odd. In my quest to figure out the root cause, fiddling with the release button of the new fob and pressing it quite hard a few times, it now secures the key soundly. X-Files strange.

IDoSeaDoo 10-23-2015 07:52 AM

seems like the inside of the fob is worn. the little tabs that hold the key are just aging. I wonder if wrapping some plastic around and sticking it in there will snug it up a bit more. I'm afraid to put a key chain on this as I believe it'll separate the key from the fob and maybe make me lose it. anyone else find a fix for this?

ECSTuning 10-23-2015 10:50 AM

Might have had dirt in the trigger on the back of the key button or it was sticking.

The tab can be bent, its a tricky procedure that can be done but you will need some small tools and a pick.

IDoSeaDoo 10-23-2015 11:09 AM

what tab?

I don't see any significan't dirt buildup that would prevent it from returning. pressing the button allows it to move about 1/8". My understanding is that it moves two solid tabs in as you press the button. When you slide the key in, the key pushes the tabs out of the way until they reach the slot, where they pop into place. It seems like the tabs don't come out far enough to grip the slot properly and the key is able to slide out on its own... The tabs don't appear to be bendable, but rather a solid piece of metal formed into the assembly.

DneprDave 10-23-2015 11:20 AM

I've had the key out of the fob exactly one time. I don't see it getting worn and loose if it isn't used.

ECSTuning 10-23-2015 11:21 AM

http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-ge...assembled.html

There is a spring loaded button that lifts up that tabs that are on piece. its the bottom tab that needs to lift up , just touch it a hair , not much and make sure the spring function its good,. you might have to dissect it and reseal it with glue.

IDoSeaDoo 10-23-2015 11:23 AM

Has that ever actually worked to fix anyone's fob? I can see the tabs and they appear worn. I'm not the first owner, so IDK how many times the key's been out.

Is there even a use for the key beyond opening the locks? Can the car be started with that key?

ECSTuning 10-23-2015 11:32 AM

Thats the only way to get it apart. The key is just used as a back up for the driver door and if you have a R57 MINI Convertible , for the glove box lock.

I have the key fob right now and its spring loaded and the tab on the bottom along with the metal sides move all at once upward to catch the neck of the key at its gaped sides.