Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

P0128 Code after replacing thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Rogerbird1
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thrmostat housing replacement - connector colors

Originally Posted by sunil Kumar
@mathew,

were you able to resolve the problem? I have 2010 mini r56 turbo, the dealer replaced thermostat housing and I'm still getting P1028, not very long may be less than 100 miles. Did plugging green into green , brown into brown for thermostat sensor. Please help.
I am waiting on this response also.
I replaced the thermostat housing about 600 miles ago, it is now giving codes again. P0597, P112B, P0128.
Seems to be more common in wet weather (been raining 2 days) or if I run through the carwash.

I also noticed the differing colors on the Sensor and housing.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:06 PM
Rogerbird1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rogerbird1
I am waiting on this response also.
I replaced the thermostat housing about 600 miles ago, it is now giving codes again. P0597, P112B, P0128.
Seems to be more common in wet weather (been raining 2 days) or if I run through the carwash.

I also noticed the differing colors on the Sensor and housing.
I double checked the sensor connectors, they appear to be in the correct places and secure.
I also replaced the Coolant temp sensor, and bled the system again, No air at all.
So I am stuck. Still getting the eng warning every startup.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Rogerbird1
1st Gear
Ordered another Thermostat housing

Originally Posted by Rogerbird1
I double checked the sensor connectors, they appear to be in the correct places and secure.
I also replaced the Coolant temp sensor, and bled the system again, No air at all.
So I am stuck. Still getting the eng warning every startup.
I ordered another, and requested a RMA for the current one.. (PartsGeek.com)

Old 05-31-2019, 02:08 PM
qfloyd25
Neutral
Replaced thermostat now code P0128

Hello All,

I'm looking for some help. I've read through the strings and watch several YouTube videos. So first the background. I had a leaking thermostat housing. I called the local Mini Service Center that has serviced my 2012 Mini Cooper S 6spd in the past and got the part numbers for what I needed. I then placed an order with ECS Tuning for the thermostat housing, temp sensor adapter and water pipe; all OEM.

My system had the bleed screw temperature sensor already installed.

The new thermostat housing has the temperature sensor made into the housing and the bleed screw port beside it.

I got everything installed, bled he system with the heater on. Let it cool, made sure fluid level was good then took for test drive. I had the Torque App installed and was watching the temperature and faults. I immediately got fault P0128. The temperature only got up to about 128 F.

Next day I went back in and made sure all the connections we're good and I bled the system again. Started up and still have the P0128 and the cooling fan stays on for a long time. I cleared the code but it keeps coming back and my temperature doesn't go over 118 F.

I called the Mini Service Center and asked for help. They told me you are supposed to bleed the system while revving the engine to 2500-3000rpm. They also suggested the parts aren't OEM Mini.

I still have the fault.

Can you all offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-31-2019, 02:24 PM
Rogerbird1
1st Gear
I ordered a replacement (non-OEM) from Parts Geek again, Got am RMA for the first one.
I have removed the first one and installed the new one (SKS ?? ) and the codes vanished with out clearing them. Car is running fine.
She is currently not my daily driver, so i will have to run a few tanks to see if the new one holds with out codes.

I have returned the first one on the RMA, I am waiting to see if I get a refund... after evaluation..

Roger

Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 AM
mhavel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am on my second replacement (non-OEM) housing and am starting to think it may be wiring harness related. I think i'm going to change out the plug on the harness for the actuator as the temp sensor seems to read fine.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Rogerbird1
1st Gear
The replacement (2nd one) Worked..

Originally Posted by mhavel
I too am on my second replacement (non-OEM) housing and am starting to think it may be wiring harness related. I think i'm going to change out the plug on the harness for the actuator as the temp sensor seems to read fine.
The replacement (2nd one) Worked..so far. Immediately no codes, I didnt even have to clear them.
Also, I just got my refund of the First one the end of last week from Parts Geek.

Roger

Old 05-04-2021, 12:15 PM
revhoagie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qfloyd25
Hello All,

I'm looking for some help. I've read through the strings and watch several YouTube videos. So first the background. I had a leaking thermostat housing. I called the local Mini Service Center that has serviced my 2012 Mini Cooper S 6spd in the past and got the part numbers for what I needed. I then placed an order with ECS Tuning for the thermostat housing, temp sensor adapter and water pipe; all OEM.

My system had the bleed screw temperature sensor already installed.

The new thermostat housing has the temperature sensor made into the housing and the bleed screw port beside it.

I got everything installed, bled he system with the heater on. Let it cool, made sure fluid level was good then took for test drive. I had the Torque App installed and was watching the temperature and faults. I immediately got fault P0128. The temperature only got up to about 128 F.

Next day I went back in and made sure all the connections we're good and I bled the system again. Started up and still have the P0128 and the cooling fan stays on for a long time. I cleared the code but it keeps coming back and my temperature doesn't go over 118 F.

I called the Mini Service Center and asked for help. They told me you are supposed to bleed the system while revving the engine to 2500-3000rpm. They also suggested the parts aren't OEM Mini.

I still have the fault.

Can you all offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Did you ever get this resolved. I’m dealing with similar issues :-/

Old 05-13-2021, 08:39 AM
Briscoec
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
What brand was Thermostat housing

I bought the POS China aftermarket on Prime. What a deal right? Coolant sensor lasted one week. Now it's starting to throw code that runs the fan. What was I thinking.