General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's official, you have until the end of next week to order a R56.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 PM
St_G
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think, visually, the bigger loss is that I can't see any room for a color line in the new interior. That's been such a big way to add personality and distinctiveness to make a MINI uniquely YOURS, y'know?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by St_G
I honestly don't have a strong opinion either way on the center speedo. I *do* like the overall shape -- if not the materials -- of the R56 interior, though with the optional Nav screen, the remaining floating needle rim speedometer isn't overly useful/readable. One thing that I don't love about the F56 interior that we've seen is that it doesn't have the edge-to-edge flowing shapes of the R56 or R50/3 cars. Everything feels more segmented and disparate. And, yes, more like any other car.

But here's the thing: as long as that interior is inside a small, sporty car with cute (yeah, I said it) styling, it's still a MINI to me. The promise of the new engines and technology more than outweighs the potential disappointment of the interior shapes.

Plus, I REALLY dig that giant start/stop toggle. That thing is awesome.
I understand totally what your saying.. and I do agree with what you mean.. You have brought up some good points! I guess the reason I bring up the speedo so much is because it just seemed to give the wow factor..ha ha and its hard to see it go...lol..

Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM
bunny85
Neutral
I started a new thread before I saw this one...
East Bay Mini said last night they are taking orders until August?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Mugen Power
Neutral
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
Til the end of this week. Dealers are aiming to take 2014 orders this friday or early next week. MINIUSA configurator will switch to 2014 hopefully in early to mid July.
Is the Clubman going to be all new for 2014 like the hatch?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mugen Power
Is the Clubman going to be all new for 2014 like the hatch?
Nope

Old 06-06-2013, 02:42 PM
R56paul
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just ordered an R56; no problems

Hey guys, new here... just wanted to note that I ordered my Eclipse Gray R56 on 5/29 with no problems. It's in production now. Dealer gave me no indication that either ordering would be cut-off at a certain time, or that 2014 ordering was imminent (even though I asked him about them). He didn't pressure me in any way to buy from their stock or find one from another dealer.

Of course, that doesn't mean someone else's experience a week or two from now won't be completely the opposite.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Originally Posted by R56paul
Hey guys, new here... just wanted to note that I ordered my Eclipse Gray R56 on 5/29 with no problems. It's in production now. Dealer gave me no indication that either ordering would be cut-off at a certain time, or that 2014 ordering was imminent (even though I asked him about them). He didn't pressure me in any way to buy from their stock or find one from another dealer.

Of course, that doesn't mean someone else's experience a week or two from now won't be completely the opposite.
Awesome!! welcome aboard Don't forget to check out the 2013 support group...!! Some good info there for yah...Im waiting as well... but im getting closer ha ha ..lol

Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Trung Nguyen
Neutral
Originally Posted by R56paul

I'm new as well, Ordered 6/18/13 - Production 1st week of July. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:46 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
The 2014 hardtop will be the F56, an entirely new model from the ground up. The factory necessarily needs time to retool in order to begin production. While we won't see the new model here until spring 2014, it will be available in Europe starting in the fall, hence the need to make the change sooner. The Cabrio, Clubman, Coupe, Roadster, Countryman are not affected by this change, as they will remain the same for 2014 (and the Countryman/Paceman are built in Austria anyway).
I sincerely hope your statement concerning the Roadster is 100% correct. Autoblog just released pictures of the 2014 Hardtop (F56) and the front end is not an improvement IMO. I will order a 2014 Roadster after the 2013 winter passes; I would love the new Roadster to remain in it's present form.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Center speedo is history from what we have seen.
That is a mixed bag. Mini enthusiasts certainly like it, but even at that, a lot are getting Connected/Nav and from what I understand, few use the speedo anyway, the digital readout on the tach is easier to see and accurate, not 5mph off because you are looking at it at a weird angle.

But that big center speedo is one of the biggest complaints I read about in just about every review of the Mini.

I ordered my CMS with the big speedo and no Connected/Nav because it is a quirky conversation piece, and, IMHO, Connected/Nav is crap. No touch screen? What is this, 1997?

I am not glad to see the speedo go, but honestly, it wouldn't have affected my buying decision if it were already gone.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tampadave
I sincerely hope your statement concerning the Roadster is 100% correct. Autoblog just released pictures of the 2014 Hardtop (F56) and the front end is not an improvement IMO. I will order a 2014 Roadster after the 2013 winter passes; I would love the new Roadster to remain in it's present form.
Not sure if this timeline is still accurate, but I've not seen anything to contradict it, and it makes sense. BMW doesn't do wholesale changes to entire makes. One model at a time.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 PM
DegasMini
Neutral
Hey all, relatively new here, but just wanted to post this link:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ed-undisguised

I quite like the exterior shape as a whole. I think the grille and the lights really do it for me. The grille sort of reminds me of the grilles of Minis of old. However, one thing that does put me off is that enormous front overhang. Look at it! I just hope that it doesn't upset the balance of the car... Also, the rear tail lights look a little too large and shapeless for my taste.

I think it looks good, but not nearly as good-looking as the R53 and R56 models..

Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
Not sure if this timeline is still accurate, but I've not seen anything to contradict it, and it makes sense. BMW doesn't do wholesale changes to entire makes. One model at a time.
In the thread on Roadsters, Gil-galad said the Roadster will remain unchanged in the 2014 and 2015 model years. I hope he's right! That black thing on the front end is nasty looking. I heard the black bumper was designed to comply with European safety standards, thus leaving open the possibility (however remote) that the American market may not see that particular change.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 AM
MattSaint
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would need to see that in person

I'd need to see the car in person, something seems weird from the camera angle. I will miss the center mounted speedo and the round vents. As someone else commented, the interior just doesn't flow for me and appears segmented. Again, would need to see it in person.

As an additional comment. Left-hand drive sample with the gas tank on the passenger side. Prolly another safety people for those that run out of gas on the motorway. You can refuel on the curbside...

Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 PM
WolfsBane
3rd Gear
BMW has a history of implementing very gradual and deliberate changes in their lineups. Their philosophy is that when implementing a significant change in your models, start with a base model, work out the kinks, and when issues get worked out, move on to other models in the line up using what you have learned.

At this time, the only projected change, (the start of the 3rd generation), is from the R56 to the F56. One or two more models will make the transition next year, and so on until the final model in the current lineup makes the transition in 2017. At this point in time, that model is supposed to be the R-59. However, discussion appear to be taking place at certain levels about the R-59. Word has it that some of the decision makers want to re-configure the R-59, and redesign it into what some would call a "proper" roadster. In other words, rear wheel drive. I expect that the only change that we will see this fall, will be the introduction of the F-56. And the rest of the models will go into next year with very minimal changes.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:25 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Changing factories over is also a big process. They have spent over a year putting a whole new F-56 line in the old NEDCAR plant in the Netherlands. They now have to re-work Oxford which is making all other models while still trying to run.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 AM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WolfsBane
Word has it that some of the decision makers want to re-configure the R-59, and redesign it into what some would call a "proper" roadster. In other words, rear wheel drive. I expect that the only change that we will see this fall, will be the introduction of the F-56. And the rest of the models will go into next year with very minimal changes.
I don't think there will be a rear wheel drive mini. BMW bought the brand to enter the less expensive (than BMW) front wheel drive market. That may add All4 to other models beyond the R60/61 as a higher end option, but don't see RWD.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
But they are evidently starting to make FWD BMWs, so the distinction isn't nearly as clear. Who knows, maybe they will try to put together a RWD MINI. I'm not really sure how you can really do that, but what do I know?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
But they are evidently starting to make FWD BMWs, so the distinction isn't nearly as clear. Who knows, maybe they will try to put together a RWD MINI. I'm not really sure how you can really do that, but what do I know?
Looks like they took a Mini and slapped new body panels on and a BMW badge. There is even a Mini in the shot for reference.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:05 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Attention MINI owners. If you or someone that you know is looking to order a MINI Cooper Hardtop, Cooper S Hardtop, or John Cooper Works Hardtop please contact your MINI dealer ASAP

MINI Hardtop production will STOP in late June/early July. All MINI dealerships have been given their final allocation of cars and have until the end of next week to modify their orders for production. After that you will unable to order a MINI Hardtop until January or February of 2014!
Hey Bram, are 2013 HT orders over now?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I have not heard anything lately.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:48 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
I have not heard anything lately.
Ok, thanks

Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM
stokessd
Neutral
My wife and I just ordered a 2013 Hardtop (R56) Cooper S on Sept 7th. We got it form the dealer in Indianapolis. It was part of their allocations, and is currently waiting to be built. They guys at the Indy mini dealer said they can still order Hardtop 2013's no problem. I also talked to the mini dealer in Ann Arbor, and they said that they could not order a hardtop model until january or february of next year. But that dealer has only been open for about three months, and I suspect the other dealers had snapped up the allotments before they opened their doors.

Sheldon

Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
I thought you couldn't even order a R56 anymore..lol.. Lucky you though!!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:01 PM
batdevice_
3rd Gear
I just ordered a 2013 JCW hardtop last week. October build, Just got my production#.
They said it was 1 of 3 JCW's being built for the last production of the R56. Cool!

Quick Reply: It's official, you have until the end of next week to order a R56.