General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80% are slush boxes?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80% are slush boxes?!

I was at my local MINI dealer last week and happened to ask the sales

mgr. what percentage of all new MINIS (all models) have auto trannys.

He said right away 80%, all I could say was that's sad. What do you

think?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 AM
minirooferS
4th Gear
well for mercedes its 100%

for other manufacturers its probably more than 80%.

Its sad but atleast MINI is the only car brand that prefers you to get a manual.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Nooooooo :'(

Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
That can't be right. May 80% for his dealer. MINI said last fall their manual sales accounted for approx. 30% which is one of the highest in the industry.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The automatic gives you more control and driving options anyway, so it makes sense that they would sell more of them.

Dave

Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
North Americans really don't like manual boxes (and I have my opinions on why that is but I will avoid making a troll comment ) - and the rest of the world seems to be following suit. Although MINI has a high manualtrans sales as a % compared to other companies, they still only sell 30% or less as manuals.

It is sad but true - it is becoming harder to find cars with a manual transmission. I can see the benefit of a quality fast dual-clutch sequential gearbox for track use (when I win millions and can have a dedicated track car - or two), but give me a manual for everyday driving IMO in a small sporty car.

Last edited by walk0080; 02-06-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
The idea that a manual is so much better is pretty much a myth perpetuated by snobs who throw out trendy catch phrases like "slushbox".

I have a 2012 MCSa with JCW suspension, tuning, aero, wheels, and strut brace, and I wouldn't trade it for a manual any day. But I understand that's just me, and I avoid petty flame wars over such nonsense. I respect those who choose manual, because it's an equally valid viewpoint.

The auto/manual debate is sort of like asking which is better: a flathead or phillips head screwdriver? The answer is neither, it just depends on which one is more applicable to the task at hand. It's really no more serious than that.

j

Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 AM
tasteskindasalty
2nd Gear
I spend an hour and a half every day stuck between one hundred feet increments of stop lights. You couldn't give me a manual for free. Sure, I bet a manual MINI would be great flying around bends or tracking lap times, but for the other 363 days of the year I'll take an automatic.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Subzero
The auto/manual debate is sort of like asking which is better: a flathead or phillips head screwdriver? The answer is neither, it just depends on which one is more applicable to the task at hand. It's really no more serious than that.

j
Phillips all the way!!!!

Originally Posted by tasteskindasalty
I spend an hour and a half every day stuck between one hundred feet increments of stop lights. You couldn't give me a manual for free. Sure, I bet a manual MINI would be great flying around bends or tracking lap times, but for the other 363 days of the year I'll take an automatic.
Been there, done that and I still picked a manual but again very personal.

I just think it is unfortunate that car companies (which are motivated by profit and greed among other things) don't want to cater to the minority motorists. Not surprised, just disappointing. I fully expect MINI to do a 180 someday and pretend their 'being MANual' campain never happened once it becomes too cost ineffective offering transmission choice.

Last edited by walk0080; 02-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
That can't be right. May 80% for his dealer. MINI said last fall their manual sales accounted for approx. 30% which is one of the highest in the industry.
On the White Roof Radio podcast, they said sailes were running at about 80% automatics, and for BMW around 98%. I'm not surprised at all. 30% manual seems too high.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
Phillips all the way!!!!
Flathead hater!!

+1 to Subzero's post.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
tasteskindasalty
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
I just think it is unfortunate that car companies (which are motivated by profit and greed among other things) don't want to cater to the minority motorists.
They don't cater to the minority of motorists because they want to stay in business.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tasteskindasalty
They don't cater to the minority of motorists because they want to stay in business.
MINI still sells 20% as manuals and have done so for some time now and their sales keep going up.

There are more significant reasons why some car companies are nearly bankrupting themselves. Perhaps it is because their are not selling enough manuals!

I have driven a MCSa on the track and it was decent (not great - but that is just me). I drove a MCa (Canadian model with paddle shift - no Sport Button) for several years and it was a miserable experience. Moral of the story - MINI would sell MORE automatics if they offered the Canadian justa Coopers with a Sport Button.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 AM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Interesting. My MA said that her sales are pretty evenly split. I prefer a manual for the fun factor, and I just feel more involved and alert with one. But every car I owned at my old house (where I sat in bumper to bumper traffic for my commute) was an automatic for obvious reasons. It's sad (to me) that manuals are becoming so rare. Rather than not offering one at all, I'd be somewhat satisfied if a manual were even a costed option.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I do think that the regular torque-converter automatic transmission is less efficient and delivers less performance than a manual transmission. The difference is much less with lockup torque converters and manual control of which gear you're in, but it is still there.

The "automated manual" transmissions (e.g., VW's DSG) offer more performance than a manual, mostly because they can be set up to change gears in significantly less time than a human can do it.

Automatics of all kinds are much less annoying to drive in very heavy traffic.

...And I still don't want one. I tried a DSG-equipped car, and found that I wanted the extra work of managing the clutch pedal and the gear shift lever. But that is purely personal preference.

Frankly, the actual rational reasons for manual transmissions are getting fewer and less distinct every year with new technology. But it's not a rational choice for me.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM
cereal
4th Gear
In what is dated as September of 2011, you can see that here at AutoGuide that Jim McDowell (someone important at MINI???) apparently claimed. However not a direct quote from McDowell, apparently he said something like:

While total sales of manual transmission models make up just five to six percent of all vehicles sold in the U.S. each year, the take rate for MINI buyers is vastly higher at 34 percent. Depending on the region, that number can be even higher, with roughly half (49%) of all MINIs sold in New England being manuals.
As others have stated, certain regions have different needs. Makes sense to me. I purchased a manual because I don't do have stop and go traffic, and I'd be in an auto if I was in that situation.

However, believing what one dealership states off their hip is hardly representative of the whole brand. I'll stick with this report (34%). I've seen it elsewhere in correlation with MINI's Manualhood campaign, just couldn't seem to find it.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Cotnballs2000
2nd Gear
I lot of the newer "auto's" out perform the manuals in performance and MPG especially the dual clutch autos like VWs DSG and the newer gen CVT autos.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Jupiter
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SCMountaineer
Interesting. My MA said that her sales are pretty evenly split. I prefer a manual for the fun factor, and I just feel more involved and alert with one. But every car I owned at my old house (where I sat in bumper to bumper traffic for my commute) was an automatic for obvious reasons. It's sad (to me) that manuals are becoming so rare. Rather than not offering one at all, I'd be somewhat satisfied if a manual were even a costed option.

SCMountaineer, I guess you don't understand the concept behind a "costed option"... You can only charge for something the customer actually wants and is willing to pay for! Recently MINI was offering $500 rebate for Manual buyers... What do you think that means? Go figure!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 PM
danigurrl
4th Gear
I drive in traffic for half of my commute...and I still wouldn't trade my "man pedal" for anything. I'll only drive manuals. If a car isn't offered in a stick...I won't consider the car for even a second.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jupiter
SCMountaineer, I guess you don't understand the concept behind a "costed option"... You can only charge for something the customer actually wants and is willing to pay for! Recently MINI was offering $500 rebate for Manual buyers... What do you think that means? Go figure!
I'm just saying that I would rather pay for the option of having a manual than not have the choice at all. (As is the case with a couple of Hondas I considered, and all Mercedes now) I realize that a dwindling number of drivers want a third pedal, and if it the only way car makers can "make it work" is to charge for a manual, I'd have to pony up.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by danigurrl
I drive in traffic for half of my commute...and I still wouldn't trade my "man pedal" for anything. I'll only drive manuals. If a car isn't offered in a stick...I won't consider the car for even a second.
My parents are the same way...neither have ever owned an automatic. My stepmom has kept her current Honda Accord much longer than she normally would have because she simply can't replace it---Honda no longer makes a loaded 4 door Accord with a manual.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I am a stick shift snob and I don't give a damn. Autotragics suck I don't care what anyone says. Paddle shifters are no like driving a stick not even close.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
I am a stick shift snob and I don't give a damn. Autotragics suck I don't care what anyone says. Paddle shifters are no like driving a stick not even close.
I agree, paddle shifters are not like driving a stick, they are better!

Dave

Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jupiter
Recently MINI was offering $500 rebate for Manual buyers... What do you think that means?
I think it means they were having trouble getting automatic transmissions from Aisin in Japan, and they wanted to create more of a demand for the manual transmissions than otherwise would have been present.

As for the auto-vs-stick: Neither one is "better". They each have pluses and minuses. They are merely "different from each other".

Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
I love driving an automatic loaner and having the car fall on it's face when you slam on the gas and it's trying to decide which gear to select.

Oh wait... I didn't mean to say "love"

Quick Reply: 80% are slush boxes?!