Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

P0128 and P173B Fault Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
npcsr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0128 and P173B Fault Codes

Hi!

This is my first post in this forum, and I appreciate any help offered. This spring I purchased a 2007 Mini Cooper S with 32,000 miles on it (39000 now). I purchased a 3yr/100000mi extended warranty (Zurich) through the auto dealeership.

I had my first problems a couple weeks ago. Chronologically, here are the events:
- Received a yellow, steady CEL
- Took MCS to Sears Auto where they changed my oil and flushed coolant. I didn't mind getting this done anyway, but CEL stayed on.
- Next day I received a red "Brakes" light, and noticed a "stored" Check Control symbol. I went to the Check-Info section of the OBC and the code CC-ID 031 was displayed. (through NAM I found this code means Increased Emissions)

- Took MCS to a repair facility (not a Mini Dealer - none within 100 miles) and had brakes and rotors replaced, which eliminated the red "Brakes" Error. They charged me $100 to check the diagnostic code, and reported it as P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature). They said either thermostat needs replaced (which I understand is not uncommon), or I have "air pockets" in the coolant.

- Took car to AutoZone yesterday for a "2nd opinion", and was given diagnosis code of P173B (I was there during the test)...and no charge, btw. As best I can tell by researching, this is Fuel Trim (running too rich)...not positive though.

- This morning the OBC only shows "Service" so I must also be due for regular service. No indication of CC-ID 031, and the CEL is still displayed, steady.

My MCS now idles quite rough, but once I get moving, all seems OK. No temperature lights. But when I shut the car off after an length of travel longer than a few minutes, the cooling fan stays on and runs a while, which it never did before.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Happy motoring - npcsr

Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
npcsr,

I'm sorry you're having so many problems.

You mentioned a "P173B" code in your post. As far as I know there is no such code so I assume that was a typo and you meant P0173 since you later mentioned "fuel trim".

Here's some info on the fault codes:

P0173 http://www.obd-codes.com/p0173

P0128 http://www.obd-codes.com/p0128

Please keep in mind that fault codes only show that there is a possible problem with something relating to that sensor and it may or may not be your ACTUAL problem. These codes are not a substitute for a knowledgeable mechanic and should only be used as a starting point for a remedy.

You might consider getting your own code reader as there are many nice ones on the market. For example: http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9580-.../dp/B003IOITRG
This model records live data, as well as graphs it, which is very helpful! Another feature of this code reader is that it will show the "freeze frame"* data. It will also print this data for future reference as well as reset the CEL should you decide to do so.

Another code reader mentioned often on the forum is the ScanGaugeII http://www.scangauge.com/ but I don't know its features or if it is a good diagnostic tool. Perhaps someone will post on this.

Good luck and please keep us informed as to the final solution.

* Freeze frame data is a snapshot of the real-time sensor feeds at the instant of a DTC condition. An auto mechanic can use this data to figure out what was going on at the time your car's "check engine" light went on.This is a feature of the vehicle's OBDII computer.

Last edited by mbu; 08-17-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:02 AM
npcsr
Neutral
Thank you!

Thank you for all the help and guidance! I will post after the repairs -

I took my Jeep to work today...grateful to have alternative transportation, but I miss the fun of my Cooper!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:20 PM
npcsr
Neutral
Central PA service options...

Thank you mbu (and everyone else) for the codes and all the good advice regarding code readers! I wish I would have posted on the forum prior to spending money on getting the codes "read" to me for $100. Live and learn I guess

Well I am 10 days and $650 into my repair process, and I find myself with 2 new front brakes and rotors, and a Mini (that I love and miss!) which not only still has the fuel trim error, but will barely start and is undriveable. The independent shop I took it to in Clearfield (3rd place to attempt a repair so far) was unable to repair it but recommended a place in State College. So I made an appointment (earliest they can take a look at it is Sept 7th).

I would love to hear from any Mini Cooper owners from Central PA (Clearfield, Centre, Blair, Jefferson, and bordering counties) as to where they get service, and any recommendations.

And most importantly, have a fun ride!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:10 PM
npcsr
Neutral
Mini is fixed!

Happy to report my Mini is fixed. The coolant sensor and thermostat needed replaced. Received great service in State College.

Thanks for the help-

Nick

Old 01-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Andoni
Neutral
Hi

I need to know about Code 173 B ?
Thaks

Old 06-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Ann Rishel
Neutral
Originally Posted by npcsr
Happy to report my Mini is fixed. The coolant sensor and thermostat needed replaced. Received great service in State College.

Thanks for the help-

Nick
Hi. I know this is a really old post, but my son just got a Mini Cooper S R53. Where did you take it in State College? We also live in that area and need to find a good mechanic.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 PM
@#M
Neutral
Any guidance with "drive train" message reflecting engine in Orange color on my mini Cooper f56, 2016 model. The car loses power when I compress accelerator..Diagnoses tells of wastegate.. any advise? Sorry to bring my problems instead of an advise.

It also advises of driving moderately but it won't move.