General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident update: Transmission issues!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Accident update: Transmission issues!

Seems there IS a more damage than originally estimated.

Ever since the accident (the one where I avoided becoming a hood ornament to a MACK dumptruck via my passenger side!), whenever I try to shift into 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th, it takes a LOT of effort.

There isn't any grinding noise whatsoever. The noise can best be described as "spooling/spinning".

If I need to upshift at normal speeds, the engine sounds like it's "spooling/spinning" but I don't see ANY increase in speed and then BOOM! it's sudden acceleration.

Any time that I need to accelerate, the car "sounds" like it's doing something (the spooling/spinning) but it's like the gears/teeth aren't engaging (no grinding at all...it's as if you're in neutral and revving the engine) and again...BOOM! suddenly there's a MAJOR increase in speed.

One shop said that it's "a classic case of low transmission fluid levels".

Schultze will be going in for a "diagnostic assessment" and the insurance adjuster will go from there.

Does it sound like "low transmission fluid levels" or something more serious?

I also had to add 2 qts of oil at the last fill-up. I check the oil, washer fluids (both sides) and tire pressures at every fill-up, so it is a big issue to suddenly have to put in 2 qts of oil. They will also be checking to see if there's any damage to the oil pan, etc.

Another shop that I talked to said there's only one way to find out the actual transmission fluid level on MINIs: put it on a lift and attach a special machine since "MINI doesn't use transmission fluid dipsticks" like other carmakers".

(sigh)

Thoughts? Comments? Warnings?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Low/old transmission fluid levels can cause difficulty shifting. Not sure about the engagement issues, though.

Sounds like a Syncro problem to me, but i have very little experience with manual trannies. Maybe someone can shoot this idea down.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
tmors424
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if you have a manual or automatic. Have them check all the mounts. Some of the mounts are liquid filled and can get damaged internally in a side impact caulsing a drivetrain misalignment. That can affect drive ability and shifting with a manual. Were any of the wheels impacted in the collision? Did a drive axal require removal in the course of repairs? Is it possible someone at the shop hot-rodded your car while in their care and burned up the clutch. How about the tow truck driver? Did he drive the car up the rollback bed or winch it up? Hate to sound synical but all these senerios are possible.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tmors424
Not sure if you have a manual or automatic. Have them check all the mounts. Some of the mounts are liquid filled and can get damaged internally in a side impact caulsing a drivetrain misalignment. That can affect drive ability and shifting with a manual. Were any of the wheels impacted in the collision? Did a drive axal require removal in the course of repairs? Is it possible someone at the shop hot-rodded your car while in their care and burned up the clutch. How about the tow truck driver? Did he drive the car up the rollback bed or winch it up? Hate to sound synical but all these senerios are possible.
The impact was the right front wheel & aero bumper.

The impact sheared two spokes of my R84 (X-lite) wheel.

No tow truck. I didn't realize the spokes were sheared until I got home. The snowstorm at the time caused highway traffic to move between 20-25mph, so I never really "got up to speed" and at such low speeds, there wasn't any vibration.

Repairs haven't started yet. The first collision center said nothing was wrong. Nothing at all. Of course, they DIDN'T even remove the wheel to take a close look!

I arranged for a second estimate at my usual collision shop (no, I'm not a regular, LOL) for 12/27 but it was bumped back to today (01/05) due to the Christmas weekend snowstorm here in Hampton Roads, VA.

It's a manual transmission with 70700 miles on the clock when I parked it this evening.

If the mounts need replacing, should I stick with OEM or go AF? If AF, what is recommended?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 PM
tmors424
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would stay with the mounts for now. Have them check all of them. A/M mounts will likely be stronger because most ot them are ether solid rubber or neopreme. There is a trade off though, it will likely increase NHV (noise, vibration, harshness). Also, have the shop check with ether All Data or BMW/Mini OEM procedure guides for areas to check following a collision to the wheel/suspension. Good luck and let us know how it goes.