North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   Manual trans driving technique question (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/200387-manual-trans-driving-technique-question.html)

Vic Mackey 12-01-2010 03:36 PM

Manual trans driving technique question

Howdy to all the helpful people here. Its been a bit since I have driven a manual. I have two questions regarding driving a manual. I am sure the answers are out there on the google.....but I am seeking Mini specific info.

1. Is it OK to skip gears?

2. Is it OK to take the car out of gear while moving.....without using the clutch?

Before I get into the habit of doing these things, I just want to make sure they are not harmful to the life of my trans and/or clutch.

Cheers!

Herk1117 12-01-2010 03:40 PM

(1) Yes, it's ok to skip gears
(2) generally, you don't want to take the car out of gear without the clutch.

Have fun!

Island maser 12-01-2010 03:56 PM

-Skipping gears in no problem, just dont lug the engine down to low is you skip on upshifts. It is actually the best way to get the best gas milage. I monitored my Jetta TDI and to be a hypermiler you have to skip gears or you will never break 50 MPG.

- Use the clutch, that is what is there for. The MINI will slip to N easily
if you are off the gas but not a good driving habit to get into. Much more
likely to damage the gear box if you make mistakes. Clutch is light and
easy. If you are bored work on your heel and toeing. Blip the throttle on
down shifts to match the revs. Enjoy rowing the gears, its way more fun
than an auto slush box.

Vic Mackey 12-01-2010 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Island maser (Post 3168562)
-Skipping gears in no problem, just dont lug the engine down to low is you skip on upshifts. It is actually the best way to get the best gas milage. I monitored my Jetta TDI and to be a hypermiler you have to skip gears or you will never break 50 MPG.

- Use the clutch, that is what is there for. The MINI will slip to N easily
if you are off the gas but not a good driving habit to get into. Much more
likely to damage the gear box if you make mistakes. Clutch is light and
easy. If you are bored work on your heel and toeing. Blip the throttle on
down shifts to match the revs. Enjoy rowing the gears, its way more fun
than an auto slush box.

Thanks for the replies.

I am loving the manual. I had an 01 BMW 330I, and I thought the steptronic was cool....but the Mini in manual just kicks its azzzzz.

The reason I was wanting to shift into neutral W/O clutch was to save wear on the clutch itself. I imagine over the course of a year it will save several thousand clutch presses.

BensMini 12-01-2010 04:29 PM

The automatic lets you play boy racer with the gears and skip the pain of clutch pushing, and when you get tired of rowing just park the oars and let the computer do it. It's the best of both worlds.