General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Mini people still wave at each other??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
quickTWITCH
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Rarely pass a MINI in my area. Passed 2 today, smiled and waved....nada...

This was the exception to the rule, however, I usually get them back with a smile or a flash of lights!
Where are you at in Maryland?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
snowmanmini
2nd Gear
I still wave and it seems that I only get waves back from owners that have something to their mini. My kids always wave and love the return waves.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:53 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minimiser
Dunno where they are all coming from, but last week or so have seen more than a dozen...Almost all have waved till this morning. Waved at three..flashed lights...got within eyeshot..NADA, just puzzeled looks and tilted heads...NO friendly...THEN it ocured to me I was in my wife's GMC Envoy

NO SNICKERING!! Wait till you are older than dirt.
I smiled at this, as I am ALMOST as old as dirt...

On vacation as the passenger in my husbands Tacoma it was all I could do not to wave at the other MINI's

Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by quickTWITCH
Where are you at in Maryland?
Work in Frederick, live in Carroll County (New Windsor). Am a member of C3M, Central Maryland Motoring! Where are you???

Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
dmw319
Neutral
I wave to the other minis! About half of the time peple wave back.. :(

Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
MINImalistnam
3rd Gear
waving at other minis

Reminds me of when we old guys bought motorcycles back in the 1960's and early 70's. The standard biker wave while in motion was a left fist held up, with the elbow at a right angle. (The non-gas hand).

After the motorcycles really caught on, 'everybody' in town had one, and the waving got a little tiring, so we finally stopped doing it as often. I notice with the proliferation of Mini's in town that is also the case. Although I do flash the floods when I want a better chance of reaction.

P.S. Spaarky gets 32MPG regular-like

Last edited by MINImalistnam; 07-19-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: missed a word or two
Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Minimiser
2nd Gear
"factory boot latch rattle unfixable by dealer"

You.too? I've wedged paper shims, tried weatherstriping, fiddled with stops, forced bride to ride scrunched up in back, removed license plate holder, smeared glycerin, removed batteries from hearing aids...finally I just gave up and leave the hatch slightly open.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM
MINImalistnam
3rd Gear
boot latch

My apologies to the other posters. My Arkansas friend and I regress for a moment.

Right now I have some electrical tape wound around the male loop portion of the errr...trunk latch. That stops the rattle, but of course is temporary. According to the records, the dealership replaced the latch twice.

I'm 19 days past expiration of the warranty, and, you know what ? don't have the inclination to go back just for this. BTW, love those tomatoes coming north.

Best Regards !

Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
USCooper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there's got to be some formula to determine the % chance of receiving a wave back. It assumes they see you, of course, but then I believe it's a factor of the ownership of MINIs in your area per capita, demographic factors of the driver and then environmental factors like day of week, time, etc. Perhaps I've thought too much into this, but I deal with large amounts data on a daily basis so I can't help myself! What are everyone's thoughts on this, before I give my opinion?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
I believe there also has to be a technique in waving. I.e. When the sun is behind you, flash lights. When the sun is ahead of you, wave.

Sometimes the other driver just doesn't notice you waving or flashing.

Except to this one Chili Red Clubman owner I see when ever I am going to work. NEVER waves or flashes lights, I gave up on that poor sap...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 PM
USCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JohnW94
I believe there also has to be a technique in waving. I.e. When the sun is behind you, flash lights. When the sun is ahead of you, wave.

Sometimes the other driver just doesn't notice you waving or flashing.

Except to this one Chili Red Clubman owner I see when ever I am going to work. NEVER waves or flashes lights, I gave up on that poor sap...
Solid point. We'll add that to "environmental factors".

Funny about the clubman owner. Makes you wonder if he doesn't know or has something against the wave. I'm from the south where people wave at strangers anyways, so the car is actually a reason to wave considering we do already do it, for no real reason.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM
alixcks
2nd Gear
I'm hoping that Mini owners in my area will wave back (still waiting for my MCS)! Obviously, it depends on the driver's mood and all that, but it would be nice to see a friendly wave or smile once in a while.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Jolio
2nd Gear
The majority of mini's I see are going the same direction of me, so either, (1.) blow pass me without slowing down to wave or (2.) don't care about waving and keep their heads straight ahead. This morning I saw this clubman on the way to the freeway with no plates, meaning he/she still had the dealer "sign" in the plate area. He/she was pushing that mini way too fast locally, if she was in the break-in period.

I've yet to encounter ppl coming torwards me.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 PM
fleazilla
2nd Gear
I'm agreeing with Mini population/demagraffic here in Roanoke VA not much waving goin on...now I've started stalking mini's and leaving notes on there wipers! Maybe they will get it? First I introduce my screen name then tell them about NAM and or Tarhealmini.org cause they would just be smart to do so,as I've wriitten on the other site some people just don't get it,some people just want to drive a "cute car"and have know idea what there really driving and or of it's ralley raceing heritage it's time we educate these people my friends!
Lol
it will be a minirevulotion!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
I'm going to give some non-wavers the benefit of the doubt. I try to always be on the lookout for other MINI's so I can smile and wave. However, depending on the day I've had, I may be deep in thought and realize, too late, that a MINI just whizzed by me...I just figure, sometimes, the other MINI is otherwise distracted and simply doesn't see me...

Old 07-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by USCooper
Solid point. We'll add that to "environmental factors".

Funny about the clubman owner. Makes you wonder if he doesn't know or has something against the wave. I'm from the south where people wave at strangers anyways, so the car is actually a reason to wave considering we do already do it, for no real reason.

Well I'm from Jersey so here or in NYC people wave good morning to each other but it is usually with this face and the middle finger

Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnW94
Well I'm from Jersey so here or in NYC people wave good morning to each other but it is usually with this face and the middle finger
Hi,, John! I can vouche for that! Lived in Jersey for 10 years. Folks from the south are much more likely to do the "traditional" wave

Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 AM
Gizmo
6th Gear
So you can image how happy I get when I get a genuine wave from another MINI =)

Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 AM
zKryT
2nd Gear
Back in the day it seemed like everyone waved. Now, at least in NY, NO ONE waves. Maybe I'm not being obvious enough that I'm waving at them, but usually just get looks as they drive past. Almost seems like a lot more people have Mini's so the comradery kinda got lost with that.

Oh well, I keep hope alive that one day I just may get that wave back lol

Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Oh YES I CAN! Are there may Minis running around good old Flemington?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 AM
ChristieY
2nd Gear
I definitely get more waves on the weekend - I think that is when people motor for fun so there are more MINI enthusiasts on the road, as opposed to people who just drive the car for practical reasons.

I am teaching my younger sister how to drive and she has always told me that the wave was embarrassing and that she would never do it. But then one day she was driving and somebody waved to her and she got so excited and now she loves the wave. She even wants to go to MINI meetups with me now Another person converted to the MINI side!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 AM
hexon
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
I smiled at this, as I am ALMOST as old as dirt...

On vacation as the passenger in my husbands Tacoma it was all I could do not to wave at the other MINI's
I wave at other MINIs even if I'm not in mine. My girlfriend blushes when we're in her Mustang, but she'll actually wave too when we are in my MINI.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 AM
wileenreber
2nd Gear
Waves

I used to get more waves when I had my old 2006 Cooper. Now with the (Maxi) MINI (countryman) I dont get as many. I dont think the "high profile" is recognized right away, at a distance. If i do get a wave its when they are very close, and there is also a "double-take" connected with it. Sometimes even a honk, but the waves, flash of lights, or honks are few............ sadly.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:54 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
MINI sightings are rare in my area. On my way in to work, a beautiful full pepper white clubman pulled in behind me and just before I had to turn off, I opened the screen on my moonroof, stuck my arm up and waved. The lady driving the clubby behind me laughed and waved back enthusiastically. As I turned I watched the clubman go by and noticed she had lots of decals on the side. I think that MIMI owner "gets it"

Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Mysticeti
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USCooper
I think there's got to be some formula to determine the % chance of receiving a wave back. It assumes they see you, of course, but then I believe it's a factor of the ownership of MINIs in your area per capita, demographic factors of the driver and then environmental factors like day of week, time, etc. Perhaps I've thought too much into this, but I deal with large amounts data on a daily basis so I can't help myself! What are everyone's thoughts on this, before I give my opinion?
Yep. Perhaps the formula could take into account visible custom graphics or mods (+1), MINI centric vanity plate (+1), perma-grin on driver (+2), out of state licence plate (-1 -- may be too focused on where they're going), etc.

Quick Reply: Do Mini people still wave at each other??