General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 01:44 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Huh, well that's interesting. I got 30k plus out of a set of $2 NGK standard copper plugs in our MCS. I've put way more miles than that before on platinums (in a different car). The iridiums are not looking that impressive.

Last edited by GearheadS; 05-01-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts
Bosch ZR7SI332S

Bosch ZR7SI332S Iridium sold at ECS Tuning, Pelican etc are also available at Autozone and are 1 free when you buy 3 thru May 1. Promo AUTO1348

http://autozonepromotions.com/WebAPI...d5a4731978.pdf
http://autozonepromotions.com/WebAPI...d5a4731978.pdf

As noted on the box, gap preset at 0.28 inches or 0.7 mm. I checked and they were all correct.

17 ft lbs or 23 NM torque spec, as noted on box and same as what's in Bentley Manual.

Last edited by Lex2008; 04-29-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:13 PM
drink8648
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know, asked a thousand times but with my mods, should I run BKR7EIX. If not, what?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:26 PM
jorge_escarcega
Neutral
Stock?

What type of spark plugs come with the mini stock?

Old 09-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Dogote
2nd Gear
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=39947

New part numbers for some NGK plugs

Old 04-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChill

In short, stop running those goofball JCW plugs that have 4 ground electrodes. Select a "copper" or platinum V-Power plug in the correct heat range, gap it correctly for your application (0.032" for R53's with stock boost levels & 0.030" for mild pulleys), and be on your way. Ditch the Iridium, too.

Originally Posted by pirranah
This should be quoted over and over again. People need to quit making a simple job so complicated! I just read post after post after post and it's no wonder people get so confused when it comes to this.
No doubt.

Great thread here, quite interesting and found the info that I needed.

Was going to go with the BKR7EQUP because that's factory for my 06 JCW, but I've never been fond of multi-electrodes,
so I'm going with the BKR7E.

As far as indexing to face the intake valve, what is the proper o'clock position?

Old 04-27-2018, 11:57 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Oldboy, all -

Interesting comments on the multi-ground strap spark plug.
I just bought an 05, JCW equipped car. My first foray into any type of foreign car.
One of the first things I did was to pull the plugs to check their condition.
Hmm, have never seen this "exact" design of plug, though having various motorcycles, I'm not at all new to multi-ground strap spark plugs. Many aircraft spark plugs are also very similar to the one recommended for the JCW engine. In the aircraft world, a single point failure is a bad thing as one might guess..! So in this case, having more than a single ground electrode is a good thing, especially since the ground electrode wears faster than the center electrode.
Multiple ground plugs have been around longer than...dare I say anyone on this NAM board, and most likely are not going away any time soon. That said, I seriously doubt they are "goofball" or a gimmick.

So, exactly why are these plugs..."goofball" ?
This particular design appears to me to be one of the better designed plugs I've seen. "Most"...sport bike (motorcycle) spark plugs are also of a multi-ground strap design.
So...again, what makes your comment more accurate than the Japanese, Italians, English (!) in their spark plug choice for their high rpm engines, for motorcycle (sport bike) spark plug use ?

Is there ANY...power to be had in (any) plug design ? Fresh/new plug vs. new plug, very little if any, and most of that is more dependent on with the fuel used, the boost pressure used and the combustion chamber design.
Is there any mileage to be gained ? A fresh/new plug to new plug, simple answer, no (dependent on the just above comment).
When a person installs new spark plugs where the ones removed had 40,000+ miles on them...ANY gimmicky, goofball, or...standard spark plug will run better, get better mileage and the engine will start easier than the ones just removed. Including having no high RPM miss..!
The exotic materials, as has been said, are for longer lived electrodes, and a longer replacement interval. Other comments about materials and their electrical properties...while basically true, with a good ignition system, the air/fuel mixture will never know the difference. Is the higher cost worth it, vs. the longer run times...don't know, never worked on that thesis.

Two things here. 1. I've been at this for...well, a LONG time. Had a couple of race cars, helped more than a couple of friends with race cars, street cars, boats, bikes, tested about everything there is to test (per cars engine), spent a lot of money experimenting over the years. Used about every ground strap gap capable to see what difference was made.
And 2. Nothing I've posted here is a secret. If you have the time, I'd guess all of the above is online somewhere in the WWW. Just use caution...there's a LOT of myths and wives tales out there (about anything you can think of !). I won't mention any spark plug names...but rest assured, the brands, styles that don't find their way in ANY sort of race engine, isn't worth much..!

Mike

Last edited by OCR; 04-28-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:58 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Earlier in this thread was a link to an interesting paper:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...90447912000883

Wherein their experiment cited:

"4.3. Spark plug with four ground electrodes, type-C

This type of spark plug was introduced by different manufactures primarily to extend spark plug durability. It is clear that there is a higher rate of combustion variability when this spark plug was used. This is explained firstly by increased contact area and heat transfer to the ground electrodes in the initial period of flame kernel growth. Secondly, it is well known that as a spark channel forms between the two spark electrodes, the local resistance increases as the localized temperature grows due to the energy flow during the spark event. After a few sparks, the local resistance becomes high enough to cause the spark to seek paths with less resistance and this moves the spark channel around over a series of sparks to prevent the “arc welding”. The rotating spark in this case changes the spark plug orientation which affects smoothness of engine operation as mentioned earlier. In circumstances where the charge motion carried the kernel into the ground strap, the flame growth would be slowed by the presence of a cold wall. With a different orientation, the same plug could have much different performance.

Multiple ground electrode designed spark plugs significantly slow down the early flame development, due to the increase in heat loses and the reduction in flame growth due the restricted flow directions."
And indeed, even NGK themselves cite those facts in this video:

"...the increased durability and fouling protection provided by multiple ground electrode spark plugs often comes at the cost of ignitabilty..."

It seems that multi-electrodes are primarily made for long-life as opposed to performance, which are perfect for neglectful owners, but for enthusiast owners who maintain their cars and change the plugs routinely, I see not much benefit for a multi-electrode design.

If the traditional j-gap plug ends up not working for me, then I'll go with the EQUP's,
or perhaps I'll try out some radioactive polonium plugs!

Old 04-28-2018, 07:18 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Additional notes re: indexing

Perhaps somewhat of a controversial topic, but it's a habit I developed along the way and prefer to do it this way --- such a thing was probably much more effective for 8 valve heads back in the hot rod days and may only provide minuscule advantage in modern 16 valve heads, but every little bit helps in my book.

The process may take slightly longer, but it's not really too time consuming.

An indexer tool helps in shaving time, and it also helps because you don't have to keep installing/uninstalling on the soft head threads which can be inconvenient, just make sure the tool threads match up to the head threads and you're good to go.

I have an Accel tool, but there are many cheaper alternatives out there, and if you're skilled as a machinist it'd be relatively easy to make one...

Looking at pix of the Tritec head it looks like a 6 o'clock orientation would be the best bet if one wanted to do this.
Yes? No?

Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Oldboy Speedwell. Thanks for bringing this thread back. It is an excellent thread. Just like the stupid runflats, MINI did disservice to the owners of doing all these pointless service longevity BS. When you tell your customer their spark plugs lasts 100k, some less informed customers tend to think the car need next to no routine attention. Why the hell to save say $30 of spark plugs when they cost less than a tank of fuel? Very long ago, when Bosch first touted how wonderful their platinum spark plugs. I bought a set that is equivalent in heat range to the generic stock plugs, and it performed like crap. Since that experience I stayed away from all the wonderful precious metal plugs with pin head center electrodes.

Kudos for NHK's FAQ sections to debunk a lot of myths and disinformations.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:25 AM
2013JCWMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This was exactly what I needed to read about spark plug information for an N18 R56! And as a bonus, there was extra information about spark plugs in general. Thanks for this post!

Old 10-18-2018, 03:47 AM
Heroofsomething
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I'm a bit late but hopefully the spark plug guru can help. I have a 2009 r56 mini it's the base model, I'm about 5k miles away from 100k miles, I need to change the spark plugs and read your page and responsea but I'm not sure if its suitable for me since I wanted the Silver spark plugs cause you mentioned them being the "best" but the thing is I have the base mini, no upgrades whatsoever, do you think it would be okay for me to get them? The price isnt an issue as long as I know they actually help, like are they just better or simply for performance? I dont plan on racing or tracking the mini I just want it to run as best as possible and if silver or copper work, I want to run them instead, also I noticed you said it might change the mpg? Badly or just keep it the same? Thanks if you reply!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:09 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
1422's gapped @ .024, filed a bit.. changed at every 15k.. because Im a fanatic.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:16 PM
SpuuDy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know if plugs from an 09 R56 S will work for an 03 R53S?

Old 06-12-2019, 11:52 PM
lukwen
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What about Brisk spark plugs they really want to work with my Cooper S but they cut out. Thinking they might work better with a new set of modified coilpacks.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:17 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear

Wow, got a great bargain on a twofer 4 pack of NGK plugs,
thanks ebay!

Hey.
Whoah.

waitaminnit

Wuzzup with this?

YOWZA!

I became a victim of fake spark plugs!

Cannot believe that counterfeit spark plugs are now something to watch out for,
especially if bought on Ebay or Amazon.

What a total drag.

I've been running basic coppers for a while now but recently decided to give BKR7EIX a go and see if I noticed any difference,
but being the bargain hunter I am made the mistake of getting them from ebay.

The consequences could have been fatal and I'm so glad that I noticed they seemed off somehow by the looks, so I did a quick search and there are tons of reports out there regarding fake NGK's.

It is a big problem.

NGK even has a section of their site devoted to the counterfeits.

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-mlwd0jz.jpg

Here's some pix of the telltale signs...

...upon first casual glance there appears to be not much difference and you may not inspect it closely, moreso because it came out of an official-looking box that seems totally legit.

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-gyxsqcq.jpg

Check the ground strap --- the fakes are at a rather harsh bend while genuine has an elegant curve.

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-yvdabgd.jpg

Not sure if this is always a reliable method of detection since counterfeiters tend to evolve and update processes once evident markers have been uncovered,
but the fakes I got had an underscore on the letter P while the genuines do not.

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-h2z7xf8.jpg

Genuine NGK on top of terminal have a visible divot,
the fakes do not.

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-n8xtoc8.jpg

Fakes use cheap porcelain and may be chipped,
the top shoulder also looks different.

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-c036nwm.jpg

Genuine has a powdery residue from the manufacturing process at the base of the insulator,
the fakes do not.

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-hjao6io.jpg

The fakes are very convincing though unless you eyeball them very closely and I think that they're continuing to be made with attempts to upgrade their process as some of the older markers that were identified to look for and posted online in various guides have seemingly been "fixed" by the counterfeiters...

...this video is a good one which shows just how authentic the fakes look and how some of the previous markers are not present anymore, for example: loose fitting crush washer amongst a couple of other things.

:

Getting these fakes was very alarming and disconcerting to me so thought I'd post a warning about the issue.

The following users liked this post:
CooperSAZ (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 06:43 AM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Un...believable...

Old 07-28-2020, 06:54 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably isn't. Glad you or your car wasn't hurt. Sharp eyes, for sure!

Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,381 Posts
I only buy my NGK plugs direct from NGK:
https://www.ngk.com/NGK-Automotive-Parts-l1411.aspx

The following 2 users liked this post by njaremka:
Here2Go (04-03-2022), Oldboy Speedwell (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 09:21 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
I only buy my NGK plugs direct from NGK:
https://www.ngk.com/NGK-Automotive-Parts-l1411.aspx
Most excellent.

Thanks for the pointer, I was unaware that you could buy direct,
is shipping reasonable?

The cost looks good too --- I replaced the fakes by going to Autozone and paid $8.50 each plus tax,
NGK direct offers a lower price so that's nice.

edit:
just did a dry run checkout at NGK,
shipping is reasonable using USPS 1st class.

Next purchase of plugs will deffo be directly from them.

Wish they'd up their game on merch tho,
I'd love a Spark Boy t-shirt!

I do have a vintage NGK tee that's pretty cool...

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-7y4gien.jpg

...but lesson learned here because this could have been seriously catastrophic,
so I will be much more cautious regarding ebay parts in the future.

Just never thought that spark plugs would be counterfeited, but hey the world seems like it's going to hell inna handbasket so why not? LOL

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 07-28-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:40 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Certain items I am very careful about where I buy them from. With shipping included, you'll probably pay a little bit more buying from NGK. However, peace of mind is more than worth it.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:48 PM
louisut
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Adding another data point to this discussion. I have a 2005 R53 and installed NGK BKR7EQUP at about 130k miles. Within the past 10k miles, I've noticed my mpg getting worse and worse and a hesitation around 2-3k RPM start to appear. I decided to change the plugs at 160k miles to try to fix both and replaced the plugs with BKR7EIX.

Initial results seem good; the hesitation is gone and the mpg is much better. 30k seems a bit early for platinum plugs, but they seemed to be the culprit. I'll probably try the conventional V-power BKR6E next.

BKR7EQUP at 30k miles

Last edited by louisut; 08-03-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:46 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear

I recently changed my plugs so I won't be getting these anytime soon, but was just wondering if anyone here has happened to use the new design NGK Ruthenium?

I was reading across various marque forums and the chatter about them is mostly positive.

I like the design --- the ground electrode tip in particular which is similar to an old hot rodder trick where they'd file it back a little.

I will likely try them out at some point.

For my application it'd be FR7BHX-S (92400).

Those come gapped rather large tho,
at .043".

Recently got myself a nicely designed plug gapping tool --- there's many out there in this style ranging from $5 - $95,
but I found this one on sale for $13...

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-uy8v0uc.jpg

...has a nice ball bearing in the tip which is a good feature as opposed to just a plain bolt end.

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-yjqijir.jpg

Old 09-06-2020, 07:31 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Recently got myself a nicely designed plug gapping tool --- there's many out there in this style ranging from $5 - $95,
but I found this one on sale for $13...

...has a nice ball bearing in the tip which is a good feature as opposed to just a plain bolt end.

I like that gapping tool set.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:41 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Yes, it works very well.

Got it from K-Motor on ebay.

The silver tabs are magnets so that's another cool feature.

I got the last 14mm one they had on sale but surely they'll list them again I'd reckon.

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.-i7d33az.png

Quick Reply: A basic guide to Spark Plugs.