General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 07:41 AM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If I set my cell phone, notebook or feather on the passenger seat

You set anything on the passenger seat and the fasten seat belt chime goes off.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:16 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I hate that when I run errands in the Mini, it’s takes 3x longer than it should because I just seem to keep driving around. Wait...guess that isn’t a hate after all. I should say, my wife hates.

The following users liked this post:
coach74 (10-12-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:46 PM
I_am_not_the_stig
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After 9 months of ownership, I can pretty equivocally say “everything”. I have never hated a vehicle as much as I hate my 2011 R56 Justa. Every time I get over the last repair, and think “Ok now I can just drive it for a bit”, something else breaks. Every time I decide to do a repair on it (I do almost all of my own maintenance, on all of my vehicles) it fights me every step of the way. It is horribly over-engineered, and not in a good way. In the way that makes you wonder if they hire directly from an asylum, and if they employ midgets in the factory, just to connect the lighting harnesses and the stupid brake pad sensor pigtails.

As far as specific hatred:
1. I hate the oil consumption. I should not have to pay attention to the oil level that closely on anything made after 1990.
2. I loathe the dipstick. I couldn’t read the stock one for anything, so I bought the $70 (FOR A FREAKIN DIPSTICK!!) Cravenspeed “solution”. It isn’t much better. The issue is that the dipstick tube design is hot garbage, not the actual stick.
3. The climate controls. For the love of all that is holy, WHY does the temperature adjust in 2 degree increments? I’m most comfortable at 69 or 71, but those aren’t freakin options. I blame the metric system. Something something 9/5 + 32...
4. Parts. It sucks to find replacements, and when you do, they are at ECS. So you’re never getting your order.
5. My dealership sucks.
6. The lack of meaningful gauges. A speedo, a tach, and a bunch of idiot lights and a crappy computer mode do not an informed driver make. I should be able to at least see engine temp and oil pressure. Especially when you can’t design an engine that doesn’t burn a crap ton of oil.
7. The sunroof. That’s been beaten to death.
8. The fact that I can’t make sport mode the default mode. Throttle response is crap in normal mode. I think I’ve stalled in traffic when I’m in normal mode. Let me have sport mode unless I say otherwise.
9. The tail light housings. Just use a freakin plug like every other car company. Your conductor maze backplane doesn’t work worth a crap, it melts itself, and then I’m supposed to go spend $400 on a new housing, because you couldn’t be bothered to use a normal solution to the everyday problem of “power needs to get to the bulb”. Then the car says there is a light out, but doesn’t know which one.
10. That the car is described in Internet forums as “quirky”. I’ve since realized that “quirky” is Internet code for “it’s a giant steaming pile of doo”.

Thats all I’m listing here, but if I had it to do over, I would have bought literally any other car on the planet. Yaris, Prius, Lada and Dacia included. My insurance agent says I can’t light it on fire. Apparently since I asked him, it’s collusion or conspiracy. Don’t remember which...

Hoping this post doesn’t get me banned. I need this forum for repair suggestions at 2am when I can’t figure out how to fix whatever I happen to be repairing in that particular night.

The following 2 users liked this post by I_am_not_the_stig:
Derek86 (01-24-2019), Goldsmithy (10-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by I_am_not_the_stig
After 9 months of ownership, I can pretty equivocally say “everything”. I have never hated a vehicle as much as I hate my 2011 R56 Justa. Every time I get over the last repair, and think “Ok now I can just drive it for a bit”, something else breaks. Every time I decide to do a repair on it (I do almost all of my own maintenance, on all of my vehicles) it fights me every step of the way. It is horribly over-engineered, and not in a good way. In the way that makes you wonder if they hire directly from an asylum, and if they employ midgets in the factory, just to connect the lighting harnesses and the stupid brake pad sensor pigtails.

1. I hate the oil consumption. I should not have to pay attention to the oil level that closely on anything made after 1990.
2. I loathe the dipstick. I couldn’t read the stock one for anything, so I bought the $70 (FOR A FREAKIN DIPSTICK!!) Cravenspeed “solution”. It isn’t much better. The issue is that the dipstick tube design is hot garbage, not the actual stick.
3. The climate controls. For the love of all that is holy, WHY does the temperature adjust in 2 degree increments? I’m most comfortable at 69 or 71, but those aren’t freakin options. I blame the metric system. Something something 9/5 + 32...
4. Parts. It sucks to find replacements, and when you do, they are at ECS. So you’re never getting your order.
5. My dealership sucks.
6. The lack of meaningful gauges. A speedo, a tach, and a bunch of idiot lights and a crappy computer mode do not an informed driver make. I should be able to at least see engine temp and oil pressure. Especially when you can’t design an engine that doesn’t burn a crap ton of oil.
8. The fact that I can’t make sport mode the default mode. Throttle response is crap in normal mode. I think I’ve stalled in traffic when I’m in normal mode. Let me have sport mode unless I say otherwise.
9. The tail light housings. Just use a freakin plug like every other car company. Your conductor maze backplane doesn’t work worth a crap, it melts itself, and then I’m supposed to go spend $400 on a new housing, because you couldn’t be bothered to use a normal solution to the everyday problem of “power needs to get to the bulb”. Then the car says there is a light out, but doesn’t know which one.
10. That the car is described in Internet forums as “quirky”. I’ve since realized that “quirky” is Internet code for “it’s a giant steaming pile of doo”.

Thats all I’m listing here, but if I had it to do over, I would have bought literally any other car on the planet. Yaris, Prius, Lada and Dacia included. My insurance agent says I can’t light it on fire. Apparently since I asked him, it’s collusion or conspiracy. Don’t remember which...

Hoping this post doesn’t get me banned. I need this forum for repair suggestions at 2am when I can’t figure out how to fix whatever I happen to be repairing in that particular night.
Dude! If these comments were enough to get you banned, we would have about 10 members left. I can happily say that since changing from a R56 to a F56 I have only been checking the oil monthly and have yet to add any between changes over the last three years. Granted, I have to depend on an electronic dipstick to check the level. I still carry an extra quart of oil in the boot out of habit. Also, it can be programmed to start up and stay in Sport Mode.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:18 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts

5. My dealership sucks.

+1 sport should be stock on all the time.

I can help with that one, " 4. Parts. It sucks to find replacements, and when you do, they are at ECS. So you’re never getting your order. " shoot me a PM and I will do all I can to make sure you get them. I was just like everyone else before I was at ECS, just a shady tree mechanic trying to find parts that I could not find anywhere.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-19-2018, 06:32 AM
I_am_not_the_stig
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
@ECSTuning - Thanks for that. I’ll keep it in mind the next time something breaks (hopefully not too soon)!

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Welcome. I am here for my MINI people.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hate that if i have the windows down and spray the windshield it all gets inside of the car

Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 AM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the back of the car gets so dirty

Old 09-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts

5. My dealership sucks.

Its a car, there are millions out there, sell it if it causes you that much stress and unhappiness. Cut your losses and walk away

Oh, and I hate how long my F56 is. I wish it was the same size as the 2nd and 1st generation Minis

Old 09-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Evlkarl
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
What I hated the most about my 3 Mini,s? That darn rust protection that they spray in at the factory because of the heat here in Arizona that "Stuff" leaked out on 3 all of my cars and messed up the black trim.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:56 PM
TnickR57
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seat belts

Originally Posted by R56 Wi MINI
I hate the seatbelts. They always get stuck inbetween the seat and the door and then I have to crack open the door in order to get the seatbelt on.

I also would not get the sunroof again. Too many squeaks and rattles and it gets sooo hot inside the car in the summer.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy another MINI in a heartbeat!!!!
I got some clips for the seat belts at Walmart that work pretty good to keep the belt up.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
So I really don't hate it, but after a lot of years of driving I find that I have curbed these wheels more on this car than all my other cars combined. Don't really understand it, unless it is just related to getting older. I've had low slung cars like Nissan ZX or BMW Z4. Maybe I need to invent rubber wheels or go back to a bicycle.

btw - Our F55, I haven't had an issue, nor the R60 , just the F56.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 AM
TnickR57
1st Gear
Run flats

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
So I really don't hate it, but after a lot of years of driving I find that I have curbed these wheels more on this car than all my other cars combined. Don't really understand it, unless it is just related to getting older. I've had low slung cars like Nissan ZX or BMW Z4. Maybe I need to invent rubber wheels or go back to a bicycle.

btw - Our F55, I haven't had an issue, nor the R60 , just the F56.
I'm not liking these run flat tires! Hit a pothole and busted a tire! Less than 2000 miles on them. So, $180 later...new tire.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 AM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TnickR57
I'm not liking these run flat tires! Hit a pothole and busted a tire! Less than 2000 miles on them. So, $180 later...new tire.
Since 2013, I've ruined at least 3 run-flat tires and one rim (another rim is slightly bent, but not enough to need replacing). Plus, I had enough of the noise & harsh ride of the run-flats, so I finally replaced them with Cooper Zeon PS3-G1 non-run-flats. Handling is only slightly less sharp, and they're very quiet and a lot more pothole-resistant (although I wouldn't push my luck!).

Old 11-28-2018, 03:36 PM
Myfast
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hate only 5 things about my R56:

1 Rattles
2 Everything is designed to be replaced and not repaired
3 Ratles
4 Run flats, make driving unbearable
5 Rattles

Old 11-28-2018, 03:54 PM
TnickR57
1st Gear
Run Flats

Originally Posted by Myfast
I hate only 5 things about my R5
1 Rattles
2 Everything is designed to be replaced and not repaired
3 Ratles
4 Run flats, make driving unbearable
5 Rattles
Ditching run flats next week. Hopefully, that'll stop some rattles.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:12 PM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
2009 mini clubman owned less than two weeks, I hate that I didn't get one sooner 😎
I get the feeling from reading other posts that in may have a different opinion in a few months LOL. I did just buy another clubby with a blown engine. It's got more options then mine so if I can't fix the motor i will be doing a swap with the added options.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:07 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
I hate the lack of a headlight indicator on my R60. With auto headlights, I can't always tell if they've come on in the rain or at dusk.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:11 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Don't the dash lights come on with the headlights?

Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
As you can see in my sig, I have a ‘16 f56 JCW. I did my own build, and selected Midnight Black for the body, and Chile Red for the top. I really wish I would have made the whole car black. It still looks great.....but it could have been better. Heavy sigh.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:14 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by normtrum
As you can see in my sig, I have a ‘16 f56 JCW. I did my own build, and selected Midnight Black for the body, and Chile Red for the top. I really wish I would have made the whole car black. It still looks great.....but it could have been better. Heavy sigh.
Vinyl is a simple cure. Mine was black, then red, then purple and now brushed metal.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:06 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Driving #211 today, Splashing through the rain puddles and beaming through fog. Wild wet weather here in South central PA.

I running the Continental ContiProContact SSR Grand Touring All-Season (Run Flats) I think they are some of the best tires Continental has ever made. Quite, Grippy, and great wear.

Motor ON!

Last edited by JABowders; 01-24-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
I hate that all the other drivers on the road are not having as much fun as I do everytime I drive my Mini.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:29 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
I hate waiting for it to be delivered. Car has been built and currently at port waiting for it to be shipped.

Quick Reply: What You Hate Most about Your Mini???