North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   02 mcs checking oil? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/192354-02-mcs-checking-oil.html)

Sajuuk Khar 07-08-2010 01:40 PM

02 mcs checking oil?

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a new to me 02 mini cooper s with 59k miles on it. Everything seems to be great with the car.

I hear a little rattle at idle from the engine, it isn't too bad or loud but sounds like lifters maybe? is this a common issue?

My real question is how do I check the oil in this car? I pull out the dip stick and I just see this yellow thing at the bottom of it with no low or full marks as the manual indicates? :confused:

HRM 07-08-2010 01:44 PM

The manual is pointing to where the low and high marks would be if they existed. (just a guess)

If there is oil near the middle, you are OK.

Porthos 07-08-2010 04:39 PM

http://www.whiteroofradio.com/check-your-oil-again/
Good podcast by the way. Start listening.......Go!!!

ZippyNH 07-08-2010 05:22 PM

A rattle at 59k...not a good sign. Try to listen hard...is it from the belt side....or is it more of a ping (from low octane fuel)? Any codes for misfires?
I might be tempted to wait till the next mini...an internal engine rattle, and an airbag light (previous posts)...it sounds like an ominous start...one tip later mini's were generaly assembled to much higher standards than the earlier cars that tended to have lots of issues...even with low miles. I'm not saying it is a bad car, but thre are lots of danger signs, so tread carefully.

nabeshin 07-08-2010 05:47 PM

You want the oil to be in the dimpled area of the stick. Preferably at the end towards the handle. Check it every few thousand to be safe. The car will undoubtedly use enough oil over the 7k to 10k interval that you will need to add some oil. Or simply change at 5k with a check at 2.5k.

Sajuuk Khar 07-08-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 3086481)
A rattle at 59k...not a good sign. Try to listen hard...is it from the belt side....or is it more of a ping (from low octane fuel)? Any codes for misfires?
I might be tempted to wait till the next mini...an internal engine rattle, and an airbag light (previous posts)...it sounds like an ominous start...one tip later mini's were generaly assembled to much higher standards than the earlier cars that tended to have lots of issues...even with low miles. I'm not saying it is a bad car, but thre are lots of danger signs, so tread carefully.

It seems the rattle only happens when the car is warmed up and is in neutral, when I press down on the cluth the rattle goes away, if I take my foot off the cluth in neutral it comes back.

Does anyone else have this problem? Ive read on other fourms this is a common thing and could be a sigh the gear box is on its way out, is this ture?

Ive already bought the car so Im stuck with it, but I have a 6 months waranty for the dealer, and I think the drive train is covered. I will talk to them tomorrow about this.

ZippyNH 07-08-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar (Post 3086516)
It seems the rattle only happens when the car is warmed up and is in neutral, when I press down on the cluth the rattle goes away, if I take my foot off the cluth in neutral it comes back.

Does anyone else have this problem? Ive read on other fourms this is a common thing and could be a sigh the gear box is on its way out, is this ture?

Ive already bought the car so Im stuck with it, but I have a 6 months waranty for the dealer, and I think the drive train is covered. I will talk to them tomorrow about this.

That sounds like a clutch rattle.....not the gearbox.

Sajuuk Khar 07-09-2010 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 3086576)
That sounds like a clutch rattle.....not the gearbox.

It this clutch rattle something to be concerned about? Ive been doing some research and it seems like a common problem. Lots of people seems to have their clutch/flywheel or even the whole gearbox replaced and sometimes it solves the rattle and other times it doesn't.

If its not hurting anything I think I can live with it..

Porthos 07-09-2010 09:33 AM

Remember you can over fill the oild which will cause just as many problems as not having enough.