General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:07 AM
scubus
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
It has been over a few days, Christmas break and all... high speed polished the car - especially the hood which I thought would need a respray - nope. Removed the old faded Mini wings and replaced them with brand new trim pieces front and back, ordered a new stereo and will be installing it as soon as it arrives, ordered the GP surround and scoop decals to replace the old faded ones, stripped out the old bubbled window tint and replaced it with lighter, ceramic tint all around, changed the oil with Euro formula Mobil 1, shampooed the seats, and I am having a nervous breakdown because the steamer I used to remove the old window film made the already falling headliner fall nearly completely! That is a job I am leaving to a professional, but it will drive me bonkers until he can get it in next week. The good news is that I can run the microphone for the new stereo properly under the headliner.

Replaced the stinger antenna with a stubby. Also removed the cup holder. Of course saving all the original parts.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:23 AM
martinschwabe
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xthehereticx
how was this done?

Old 12-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Michael Jessop
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maintenance for 2013

Brought her in for an oil change to my local guy. He made a point of noting that while the oil was changed somewhat recently and the counter reset, the filter looks as though it was NOT changed with the oil. I also had the transmission fluid changed out (that BMW fluid is expensive!)

He also said that I would likely be needing new front brakes in sometime soon after the next oil change. They are almost down to the sensor and he said after that there is still some more wiggle room. But I am thinking sooner than later, maybe next month or so I will have them done.

I have been looking around (not thoroughly in the forum yet) on mini parts sites for brake replacements... does anyone recommend anything like SP Performance brakes or EBC brakes, etc? Looking to be safe, good brakes, but not breaking the bank at the same time.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:06 PM
Michael Jessop
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Jessop
Brought her in for an oil change to my local guy. He made a point of noting that while the oil was changed somewhat recently and the counter reset, the filter looks as though it was NOT changed with the oil. I also had the transmission fluid changed out (that BMW fluid is expensive!)

He also said that I would likely be needing new front brakes in sometime soon after the next oil change. They are almost down to the sensor and he said after that there is still some more wiggle room. But I am thinking sooner than later, maybe next month or so I will have them done.

I have been looking around (not thoroughly in the forum yet) on mini parts sites for brake replacements... does anyone recommend anything like SP Performance brakes or EBC brakes, etc? Looking to be safe, good brakes, but not breaking the bank at the same time.
I should note that he said the oil looked pretty good, no metal, no flakes and the transmission fluid (87000+ miles) was dark but still visibly red tinted. So other than the brakes no leaks reported and seems like regular wear and tear.

So so far I have replaced the tires with Yoko Advans, oil, transmission fluid. Brakes next month likely because I feel odd about waiting. Maybe sooner.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:51 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
EBC Red brake pads and oem rotors are a very good combination. I wasn't prepared to change the rotors on my last brake job, and didn't want to wait for rotors to come or to drive to the dealer, so I got some Autozone Duralast rotors all around and they have performed very well. I would paint the top hats on the rotors as they will rust.

The EBC Red brake pads perform better than stock and the aren't dusty like oem brake pads.

The following users liked this post:
Michael Jessop (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 04:34 PM
peterpan101
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by martinschwabe
how was this done?
looks like plasti dip

Old 12-29-2018, 06:12 PM
BlackMarket
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Forge Intercooler & Forge Boost Hard Pipes

Today was a good day! I installed a Forge Intercooler & Forge Boost Hard Pipes on my ‘15 MCS Auto.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 323 Likes on 224 Posts
I ordered my strut plates last night. A long with coil , wires an plugs . Then I ordered a new chrome cover for my rear trunk lid. Chrome was bubbling up.
My new seat covers came in a few days ago. Will install next weekend. Will share pics.
Remember owing a mini is addictive, Lol.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Fbfisher
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Simple OEM “upgrades” Installed

The adventure down the slippery slope begins with these modest upgrades:

OEM All Weather front and trunk floor mats
OEM Armrest Snap-In iPhone Adapter
OEM Stubby Antenna replaces the “stinger”
OEM Wing Black Jack License Plate Frames

On the short list;
rear windows tint

Cheets!

Old 12-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Ghouler
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0015 Code

The check engine light came on. P0015 code... did some research, replaced the VANOS solenoid .. so far, so good!!

Old 12-31-2018, 07:43 AM
wtorres141
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Finished up the front set of JCW-type calipers I purchased here, preparing for new brake setup early 2019; I'm not a fan of the bright red so I went with dk.grey metallic to match the wheels.

Dk. Grey with silver heat resistant decals

Here is the lucky recipient of those calipers- cannot install them yet... too cold out there, also need to wait on four new disks to fit these JWC-type brake upgrades.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:32 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Wow! Nice color! Love the lettering.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:04 PM
ObjectsInMirrorsAreLosing
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had two things to do today. I replaced all four ignition coils on my 2011 MCS. It would occasionally stutter when accelerating HARD in 2nd and/or 3rd gear going from 3k to 5k RPM, but not any more!! I'll keep a close eye on it because the problem was intermittent, but I'd be surprised if that happened again.
The second thing was to replace the top break light bulb on the right rear. It took me a while to figure out which bulb was causing the "exterior light out" warning. The bottom light was working, which made it look like the break lights were working. Anyway, finally get the offending bulb out, and it looked fine to me. I put the new bulb in anyway, and it still doesn't work. I suspect I need a whole new tail light. At least I'm making progress in diagnosing. Has anyone else experienced that?
Happy New Year MiniFam!!

Old 12-31-2018, 02:34 PM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mini is running at normal operating temperature fter 4 tries of replacing the Thermostat without it leaking .

The notches on the gasket, thermostat and housing needed to be in alignment.

SES light is now extinguished and it passed inspection today. :-D

Old 12-31-2018, 02:46 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
I went out to the garage to do a little tinkering on the R52 JCW car, decided it was too cold out there, didn't want to wait for the furnace to warm up the place, so I gave the girl a pat on the roof and went back into the house.....time for a nap

Bryan (Happy New Year everyone)

Old 12-31-2018, 05:03 PM
AzBluesman1962
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to pics of the SuperBird....wait it;s an Daytona 500...just saw the hood!

Old 01-02-2019, 02:34 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Today's project was replacing the stock stereo. Wanted bluetooth audio and hands free phone. Was not interested in a CD player so I went with a media player.

Tomorrow or Friday I'll be replacing the rear bumper skin - if anyone has suggestions, tips or tricks I am all ears.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:44 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scubus
Today's project was replacing the stock stereo. Wanted bluetooth audio and hands free phone. Was not interested in a CD player so I went with a media player.

Tomorrow or Friday I'll be replacing the rear bumper skin - if anyone has suggestions, tips or tricks I am all ears.

What brand radio? An you do still have steering wheel control?

Old 01-02-2019, 03:53 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shrevemini
What brand radio? An you do still have steering wheel control?
It is a Pioneer and yes, I still have steering controls. It is kind of a cop out, but after installing stereos over the years I decided to go with Crutchfield and their pre-wiring service. For $25 everything arrived prewired and I literally plugged it in and that was that. With only front speakers in the GP I wasn't going all out and went with the Pioneer MVH-S512BS. So far it sounds fine and has enough bass boost to give reasonably good depth.

I am having the headliner redone tomorrow and I am going to have them run the phone mic in the proper location for me.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:27 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scubus
It is a Pioneer and yes, I still have steering controls. It is kind of a cop out, but after installing stereos over the years I decided to go with Crutchfield and their pre-wiring service. For $25 everything arrived prewired and I literally plugged it in and that was that. With only front speakers in the GP I wasn't going all out and went with the Pioneer MVH-S512BS. So far it sounds fine and has enough bass boost to give reasonably good depth.

I am having the headliner redone tomorrow and I am going to have them run the phone mic in the proper location for me.
Can you post pic of you mic location?

Old 01-02-2019, 04:37 PM
scubus
4th Gear
I can, but it is described pretty well in this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-mini-for.html

Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Normally at this time of year, Egan is tucked away in the garage waiting to come out and play when the weather is nice.

For better or worse though, the clutch on my Fiancee's Fiat 500 was kaput, and while that is being mended by one of the local auto service shops, she's borrowing my Jeep Cherokee, and as a result, I have to take Egan out for the week. Oh darn...

Like John Wick hammering out the slab in his basement to get to his weapons, and other gear, I broke out my Winter tires to reinstall. Actually glad I kept those rather than selling them.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:32 PM
aunknown
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trwxxa
I installed my Mini Do More hitch.

2 hours, start to finish, with no helping hands around.
I thought for sure this was one of those projects that are only supposed to take a little bit and then somehow end up taking all day.
This this is giving me a little bit better feeling about getting one.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:40 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Okay, my project for today was running the mic correctly. Under the headliner, behind the a-pillar, under the dash and zip-tied in place. I also replaced the old down tubes with new ones. I also installed a set of m7 strut tower plates but forgot to take pics. They went in without a hitch and no sign of mushrooming. Yeah!

Here is the mic location now:

The old downtubes... finally out of the car:

THIS... seriously, this is the biggest PITA known to man. It put up an epic fight. Tried all the tricks and no go. The whole job took 2 hours and this thing took an hour and 45 minutes of that. At least that's how it felt.

Trying to get the centrer console out. No way to remove the down tubes with it in place.

Finished. Mic cord run and plugged back into the head unit, new down tubes in place and everything buttoned up nice and tight.

The head unit at night:

Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wtorres141
Finished up the front set of JCW-type calipers I purchased here, preparing for new brake setup early 2019; I'm not a fan of the bright red so I went with dk.grey metallic to match the wheels.

Dk. Grey with silver heat resistant decals

Here is the lucky recipient of those calipers- cannot install them yet... too cold out there, also need to wait on four new disks to fit these JWC-type brake upgrades.
Like that color. A lot. And the calipers should look really good behind those wheels. I'd love to do something like that, but one of the downsides to the GP is I want to keep it close to stock, so red calipers for me

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?