General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 05:11 AM
kurtsunn
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ive's Mini
Hit this today!
Congratulations ... any tips for the rest of us to reach there? What (if anything) were problems along the way?

Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 PM
gum
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I removed piston 1&4 to install new rings after cleaning them, next task light honing,

Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Went over 14,500 miles today on a short drive on roads made for a MINI. Painted the stripes Monday.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:35 PM
Struns
1st Gear

PO looks like he put in some of those cheap flea-bay brake parts. No wonder this car didn't stop to well...should have all 4 corners done by Friday, if UPS is on time.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Made some steady progress this afternoon on Egan by replacing the oil filter housing gasket, which originally I wasn't going to, but considering I had to replace the oil cooler gaskets, and I just so happened to have a spare filter housing gasket lying around (seriously, I do not remember when or where I got it ), I figured it was a good time to do it.

...and I'm glad I did because that gasket was certainly leaking as evidenced from the bolts that I removed that were covered in oil, and it definitely hardened over time as if felt more like a bendable plastic than a rubber seal. No wonder it was leaking.

I also removed the two bolts holding the starter motor in place to get ready to remove the transmission, and those two blasted bolts on the top f the transmission where all the wires and hoses are. Didn't have to remove the entire intake, which was nice, but damn was it tight. All that should be left is the remaining bell housing bolts, plus the clutch slave cylinder, and on Friday after work, I should be ready to remove the transmission, and see what the innards look like after 162k miles. Seriously, the clutch has never been touched since the car was built, so I'm extremely excited to see how well it has held up.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-54880588625__0910458a-5dbe-438e-b768-1263f9653133.jpg  
Old 05-24-2018, 05:07 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Struns
[/img]

PO looks like he put in some of those cheap flea-bay brake parts. No wonder this car didn't stop to well...should have all 4 corners done by Friday, if UPS is on time.

Looks like you went with Centric Premiums. I'm doing the same tomorrow, with the same rotors and TRW Premium Ceramic pads. Surprisingly, I removed the rotor retention bolts last night with zero fuss

Old 05-24-2018, 06:23 AM
Struns
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
. Surprisingly, I removed the rotor retention bolts last night with zero fuss
LOL who ever did mine last broke off all four of them, even looks like he tried to drill them out with no success.<shrug>

Old 05-24-2018, 06:33 AM
cyow5
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Upgraded to EBC green stuff pads and dimpled rotors, Sparco wheels, and Conti DWS - all huge improvements over what it came with. Also did a brake fluid flush and rebleed, reaffirming my distrust of mechanics in the process. It should not have made that big of a difference if they had been doing it correctly all along, but oh well, at least now I have the pedal feel I should've had.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-img_0724.jpg  
Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 AM
BbyDenns
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed a clutch pedal stop from Burger Tuning.

Thoughts: I Like it! I left all 3 spacers on, and it took the travel down to about 1/4" until the clutch starts engaging. It feels great and makes shifting easier without needing muscle memory to know where the clutch engages. For $10 and free shipping, its hard to beat.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:59 AM
cyow5
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BbyDenns
I installed a clutch pedal stop from Burger Tuning.

Thoughts: I Like it! I left all 3 spacers on, and it took the travel down to about 1/4" until the clutch starts engaging. It feels great and makes shifting easier without needing muscle memory to know where the clutch engages. For $10 and free shipping, its hard to beat.
The steering rack on my Elise has a bolt directly behind the clutch; I replaced it with a longer one, a locknut, and a plastic cap so I have an adjustable stop and it is awesome to have. I hadn't taken the time to look though the minis, so I will definitely check that out.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:08 AM
BbyDenns
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyow5
The steering rack on my Elise has a bolt directly behind the clutch; I replaced it with a longer one, a locknut, and a plastic cap so I have an adjustable stop and it is awesome to have. I hadn't taken the time to look though the minis, so I will definitely check that out.

LINK

I'm sure a custom stop could be made from parts lying around a garage, but for $10, free shipping, and about 2 minutes install time, it's hard to beat. And since it has shims for adjustment it should be able to work with different clutch packages and vehicles.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:05 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Added some new "stripes"

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-img_3605.jpg  
Old 05-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Snaps
4th Gear

Had a setback while working on Egan today. After getting the rear main seal installed, the flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate, it was time to get the transmission put back into place.

After about an hour of fiddling, it was still not settling in correctly, so my Dad and I were going to take it back out, and try again (also to examine if the clutch disc had shifted in the process of wiggling the transmission back into place, which it did).

Before we were about to do that, I discovered I made a horrible mistake. I replaced the guide tube, input shaft seal, put new clutch fork bushings, and thought I buttoned everything up correctly. As it turns out, the clutch fork release shaft was in backwards. Yes, I actually somehow put it in backwards, and I found out what really went wrong upon removing the bolt that connects the release shaft and the clutch fork itself. I apparently stripped the threads on the release shaft (along with ruining my new bolt), so now I'm going to see if I can rethread the hole, reuse the old bolt, and try again.

If not, I'll have to buy a new Clutch Fork Release Shaft, which thankfully is only around 75 bucks n Pelican parts. But still, I mean COME ON!!!

Last edited by Snaps; 05-28-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:58 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Tough break. But, at least you caught it before you stuffed the transmission back on and damaged anything else. If it was me. I think I would go with new parts.

All I've done recently is test fit some new 3rd Gen parts for Raceseng and order some new coil overs from RMW. I will be doing a review of both after they go into production.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:53 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Tough break. But, at least you caught it before you stuffed the transmission back on and damaged anything else. If it was me. I think I would go with new parts.

All I've done recently is test fit some new 3rd Gen parts for Raceseng and order some new coil overs from RMW. I will be doing a review of both after they go into production.
Thinking about it, it would've been worse had I got the transmission in, some of the bell housing bolts put in, and then tried to reconnect the slave cylinder so I could test the clutch. I would've been like, "WTF?!"

In the end, that is likely what I will do, but I know my dad wants to try and rethread it first since he knew he used to have a full set in metric, but now it has since mysteriously disappeared, so he's determined to get another one, try it out first, and then we'll decide then.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:18 PM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
First New Jersey state inspection! And I almost forgot that it was due this month, because I bought the car new 5 years ago. Fortunately, a few days ago, I happened to notice another car with a failure sticker in the windshield, and thought, "Oh, crap! Almost missed it!" From now on, it's due every two years.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:24 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
earned a trophy with it, also broke the header flex pipe and I've got a boost leak, the fuel tank evap line broke. it did get home under it's own power though.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrBlah:
kurtsunn (05-31-2018), vetsvette (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlah
earned a trophy with it, also broke the header flex pipe and I've got a boost leak, the fuel tank evap line broke. it did get home under it's own power though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wtcuz3xFG4

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Glad it made it home too! Never fun when you have to find transportation home after a fun event.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:42 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Success!

So after rethreading the clutch fork release shaft, reapplying some grease, using some locktite on the bolt that holds in the fork, and release shaft, I was able to finally get that blasted transmission back into the engine bay.

I double checked to make sure the clutch disc was aligned perfectly, and using a transmission jack from harbor freight, as well as a ratchet strap, I was able to line up the transmission perfectly that it went in on the first try. I reconnected the clutch slave cylinder after getting some bellhousing bolts snugged in, and tested to make sure the clutch worked. That Valeo clutch kit is definitely lighter in feel compared to stock, which will take a little bit to get used to, but it reminds me of VW clutches, or my GF’s Fiat 500.

My kit from black stone labs also arrived, so I’ll put my sample that I collected earlier last week in there, and see how healthy my engine truly is.

Last edited by Snaps; 05-29-2018 at 07:17 PM.
kurtsunn (05-31-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Snaps
4th Gear

Got the transmission mount put back on, so the car is holding the whole engine and tranny, which is nice. Also started doing some buttoning up on some parts, including reinstalling the drive side axle, and finally got the starter put back together.

Unfortunately i I ran into another snag when my coolant temperature sensor broke off, so now I have to buy a replacement, and then while I’m at it, I’ll replace the thermostat since it’s in the same area, and that has never been replaced.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:43 AM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
had the windows tinited in my new LCI JCW

Before
Before
After
After

Raven99 (06-30-2019)
Old 06-02-2018, 08:25 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
performed a DIY alignment

When push comes to shove, one cannot afford to be elegant. Track events are coming up back to back, and no time to get a professional alignment, so I took matter into my hands. Performed a DIY alignment using some basic good enough adjustment and measurements. I didn't bother to do the trigonometry. Just some common sense and intuitions.

I also conducted a pre-track tech inspection. Fluids, torques, and tyre pressures as well as visual inspections. As always Mini is good to go.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:04 AM
mcaanda
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Stickers - yea... stickers

JCW Scuttles that I had wrapped in white to match the color combo on the car.

Additionally, when I bought some other bits for the misses 2016 MCS, I happened to think ya know - those too would look good wrapped so the brake intakes were done as well.

Being that there was wrap left, thought hmmm... ya know, those little triangle bits on the rear would look good as well. Not trying to go bonkers with it I felt that there was enough "sticker" application done for a while.

Still working on what I want for stripes...

2015 MCS

2015 MCS

2015 MCS

Old 06-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Doug1066
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 Cooper Clubman

HAL got a bath today.
HAL got a bath today.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:29 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Spent some quality time with my spouse...'s car.
https://i.imgur.com/UrMFJmT.jpg

Wash, Iron-X, clay, polish, polish, wax. The poor car's paint had been neglected for years. I couldn't take it any more.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?