General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Old 05-05-2018, 05:33 AM
djohnson34
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One of my employees wanted to race calling my MCS slow. He has a Dodge Dart (I know right hey thought it was fast).
We lined up leaving work and I smoked his ***, and never had to hit fifth gear.

Loved it. I like when people think we are slow in our Mini's

The following users liked this post:
kurtsunn (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Today began some major surgery for Egan. In the process of replacing the clutch, but first I must remove a bunch of stuff. This is how far I got today, which the subframe was the last bit.

kurtsunn (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:23 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Snaps

Today began some major surgery for Egan. In the process of replacing the clutch, but first I must remove a bunch of stuff. This is how far I got today, which the subframe was the last bit.
He looks like he sneezed and all hell broke loose!
Good luck with your project Snaps.

The following 2 users liked this post by vetsvette:
kurtsunn (05-05-2018), Snaps (05-06-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:49 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
whipped mini's brakes into shape

Whipped Mini's brakes into shape with the installation of some free to me carbon ceramic pads for the rear calipers which the stock pads were fried crispy and crunchy during the track event.

would you like them crispy and crunchy?

we then went for some cheap and good real Mexican food as an excuse for bedding in the new pads to celebrate Cinco de Mayo

kurtsunn (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 07:06 PM
kurtsunn
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Drove him to work today... Need to add some Techron to the tank, its been 3k miles.
What is the Techron supposed to do?

Old 05-05-2018, 07:07 PM
dnsherrill
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
replaced the expansion valve, evacuated and recharged the AC....also replaced air filter, recently replaced radiator fan resistor, and cleaned condenser.
My helper gave out in the first hour!

Old 05-05-2018, 07:10 PM
dnsherrill
2nd Gear

Are you removing the entire engine for clutch replacement?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:32 AM
kurtsunn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dnsherrill
replaced the expansion valve, evacuated and recharged the AC....also replaced air filter, recently replaced radiator fan resistor, and cleaned condenser.
My helper gave out in the first hour!
Is it hard to evacuate and recharge the AC? I see kits available from auto parts stores and was wondering how hard it was to do.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:45 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
I've been working too much lately to get anything done, but at least I'm getting some good roadtime and getting to know the car much better. My last job was in New Bern NC and I took the quicker route to get there --- too much freeway as 40 is quite boring...

What did you do to your mini today?-rlvkwzg.png

...got there in 8hrs 45mins, but decided to take the scenic route home and enjoy some good driving --- took secondary roads through the farmlands of eastern NC and then had a total blast in the mountains!

What did you do to your mini today?-mbj7fyw.jpg
What did you do to your mini today?-aiikwkp.jpg
What did you do to your mini today?-da3avh8.jpg

Took 13hrs to get home!
LOL
Hopefully next year I'll make it to MOTD for a proper sortie and have some real fun.

One thing that happened is the "powder mirror" on my sun visor plopped down and startled me...

What did you do to your mini today?-jikekyl.jpg

I finally have a week off and I've got a rather long to-do list.

Starting out today by installing a WMW motor mount then a bunch of other basic maint. related stuff and several cosmetic things.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
He looks like he sneezed and all hell broke loose!
Good luck with your project Snaps.
A 7 hour sneeze I would add.

But thanks for your words of encouragement. It's been a long time coming because I was originally going to do this the previous winter, but Egan was driving alright enough to drive for short periods. The clutch would slip in the higher gears at different times, and sometimes when disengaging the clutch pedal it felt like it wasn't always engaging the gear (a hesitation sometimes happened, especially if I shifted fast).

In the process of doing this, I am also replacing the inner and outer balljoints, the lower control arm (will have a new power flex bushing for the LCA) on top of the clutch. The clutch itself btw is the Valeo kit, flywheel included.

I do have a rear main seal leak, so that of course will get replaced (input shaft seal, and clutch fork bushings too), and after removing the intercooler, I noticed a bit of dry oil in the front of the engine below the supercharger. My hope is to have this done by next weekend since I won't have much time during the work week.

As far as balljoints are concerned, it's good I ordered those parts since the bolts do move, and are no longer rigid, so definitely is the time. And while I don't have these parts, the driver side tie rod end also has a bolt that is no longer rigid, so I'll have to consider replacing those soon also. The passenger side is fine, which I think is interesting given the miles on Egan at this point (162k).

Originally Posted by dnsherrill
Are you removing the entire engine for clutch replacement?
Nope, don't plan to. I know some folks have done that (I think because they're doing more stuff), but my plan to avoid removing the entire engine since it is very much possible to do so. I am using MOD Mini's YT channel as a guide, plus the Bentley manual to get me head around all of this, and my Dad is assisting too since the Mini is at my parents' garage.

I was going to replace the supercharger, but after consulting with Way, he suggested that since my supercharger still is working fine, I should hold off. Even with the miles on it, I only hear the sound of a healthy supercharger, so that'll be something for the future then.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Wished I had the mini with us.
10 days trip to san Francisco for some R&R , rented a car and drove the panoramic HWY, to stenson beach, boy about 40min of breth taking ecolibrium trolling drive and every minutes missing my mini for that drive...
Next time it will be a drive 1500miles with mini towing in the back of the car.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Doug1066
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I washed and waxed mine and am getting ready to install a K&N air filter.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:43 PM
vetsvette
A 7 hour sneeze I would add.
In the process of doing this, I am also replacing the inner and outer balljoints, the lower control arm (will have a new power flex bushing for the LCA) on top of the clutch. The clutch itself btw is the Valeo kit, flywheel included.
As you get a little older you'll learn what took some of us way too long to realize. "When you drop something on the floor and bend down to pick it up...
Look around and see what else you can do while you're there before going to the trouble of getting up again".

You're doing the right thing by taking care of everything you can while you have access. It's worth the extra time in the long run.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:56 PM
vetsvette
Just parked mine behind the house. Got back from 4 days in fabulous downtown MOTD about 5pm after putting ~1100 miles on it. Taking a break for a few days is the plan. (click on the thumbnail for the hi-res version)
Photo courtesy of Killboy.com

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-2000123.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 05:46 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Smashed in the front of my car when another car turned left from the oncoming lane RIGHT in front of me last Tuesday ("May Day!, May Day! literally).
Slammed on the brakes but not enough time or distance to stop.
It's repairable, but was declared totalled with the cost to repair more than twice its "value", not including buying it back, getting it re-titled as a wreck, fixing it, specialty post wreck inspection, uncertainty about if more is wrong than the estimate, etc.

It was in great shape with 6 speed conversion, Quaife LSD, Koni Sports, great summer and winter wheels/tires, rear sway bars, Miltek header and exhaust, etc., so I wanted to
hold on to it for another 5 years or so, but that's not going to happen now.

I'm going to pick up a 2009 JCW Clubman in great shape with only 27K tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:30 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
busy day, cracked front rotor, 10 trackdays on it

installed AP jhooks, with the new front ducts these shoudl last longer

also had a CV boot fail, these are always fun

Old 05-07-2018, 07:11 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo
Smashed in the front of my car when another car turned left from the oncoming lane RIGHT in front of me last Tuesday ("May Day!, May Day! literally).
Slammed on the brakes but not enough time or distance to stop.
It's repairable, but was declared totalled with the cost to repair more than twice its "value", not including buying it back, getting it re-titled as a wreck, fixing it, specialty post wreck inspection, uncertainty about if more is wrong than the estimate, etc.

It was in great shape with 6 speed conversion, Quaife LSD, Koni Sports, great summer and winter wheels/tires, rear sway bars, Miltek header and exhaust, etc., so I wanted to
hold on to it for another 5 years or so, but that's not going to happen now.

I'm going to pick up a 2009 JCW Clubman in great shape with only 27K tomorrow.

I am sorry for your mishap, especially after the 6-speed with LSD conversion.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:56 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Thanks.
I did get almost 4 years out of the new 6 speed transmission + Quaife, but I was hoping for at least another 4.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:16 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Thanks.
I did get almost 4 years out of the new 6 speed transmission + Quaife, but I was hoping for at least another 4.
Sorry to hear of your troubles and your car's demise.

You'll love the R55 JCW.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your accident. I recall looking at the posted pics of your Mini through the years... So I assume you are going to let it go?

At least no one was hurt in the accident?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:32 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Just abrasion on left inner upper arm from the airbag.
I initially wanted to repair it, but the amount is just too much for what I would be left with. It's getting towed far away by the insurance company today.
I don't have the space, time, or motivation to part it out.
Best car I've ever owned.
Wife loved it, too.

I test drove a nice clean low mileage 2009 JCW clubman last Friday and am picking it up tomorrow.
First thing will be to get some good summer wheel/tires
(have my eyes on Enkei PF01 17x7 +45 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 215/45/17).
Will use the factory wheels for winter and change the all seasons on it now for winter tires this fall.
Saved the compact spare from my R50 (works with the JVC Clubman if you add a 16 mm spacer -
Detroit Tuned sells one), and my Raceseng shift **** (need to buy a different adapter for $20),
and the vanity plate to re-use on the new car.
Sooner or later, a bigger rear sway bar, and better stainless steel exhaust when the current one fails,
and Koni Sports or Bilstein Sports when the current shocks go (that will probably be a while since
there's only 27K on it so far).
Otherwise not planning on any big mods. It'll be plenty fast enough.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:27 AM
non-s
1st Gear
Dang, I would have taken the Koni sports and rear sway off your hands! Haha

Old 05-07-2018, 12:34 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Yep. The R50 had Koni Sports only about 4 or 5 years old at this point, and it had a rear 19 mm solid H-Sport bar.

The 25.5 mm hollow H-sport on the softest setting might be just the thing for the Clubman, though.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:36 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
1. Found a nice flat hard plastic plug/cover, to plug the hole in the back window where the wiper used to be.
2. Installed a set of wheel studs with nuts. I have a hard time with 1940's (at least!) designed parts on a 21st century car.

Mike

P.s. - Cristo, I feel for you. Not fun at all.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:16 AM
dnsherrill
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kurtsunn

Is it hard to evacuate and recharge the AC? I see kits available from auto parts stores and was wondering how hard it was to do.
No, not hard...spend about $50 on some gauges. Watch a Scotty Kilmer video on how to use them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?