North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   Questions, Questions, Questions (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/114895-questions-questions-questions.html)

Blazermaniac 09-23-2007 12:08 PM

Questions, Questions, Questions

1 Attachment(s)
It's been more than a month since Eli the Cooper S came to America. As my mind wanders, I just have so many questions about its capabilities:

1) Does the Mini float? If we drop the Mini with fully inflated tires into a lake, would it just immediately sink to the bottom or would it gurgle for a while? How long would it take to sink?

2) What is the Mini's terminal velocity if it were dropped out of an airplane taking into account its shape, air resistence etc.?

3) Could the Mini be deployed from a cargo plane in a parachute for military purposes?

4) If you were to drive the Mini on solid ice with DSC on and in a Mini with the LSD option, and tried to turn at high speed, what would these options do to the Mini on the turn?

5) Does there become a point when DSC won't bail you out and you would roll your mini on a sharp curve?

6) Do the Xenon lights really turn in conjunction with the stearing wheel?

7) How large of an engine can be dropped into the Mini's engine bay?

8) What is the gender makeup of Mini owners? My guess is that more males own the Mini S, but I imagine its fairly close.

9) How many average sized hampsters could you fit into the cab of a Mini?

10) Is there a way to rig up a fridge that would be placed in the space where the seats fold down?

11) If they made a cartoon with the Mini as the main character that drove around the mountains solving crime, what car would the Mini's nemisis be? I am thinking an Excursion, but KARR the evil arch nemisis of Kight Rider was a tempting alternative as well.

I feel like I need to know these things.

:) :confused:

Jurrell 09-23-2007 12:41 PM

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...farter/ugh.gif

r56mini 09-23-2007 01:25 PM

ignored.:nod:

tigwantstoplay 09-23-2007 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Blazermaniac (Post 1766338)
It's been more than a month since Eli the Cooper S came to America. As my mind wanders, I just have so many questions about its capabilities:

1) Does the Mini float? If we drop the Mini with fully inflated tires into a lake, would it just immediately sink to the bottom or would it gurgle for a while? How long would it take to sink?

2) What is the Mini's terminal velocity if it were dropped out of an airplane taking into account its shape, air resistence etc.?

3) Could the Mini be deployed from a cargo plane in a parachute for military purposes?

4) If you were to drive the Mini on solid ice with DSC on and in a Mini with the LSD option, and tried to turn at high speed, what would these options do to the Mini on the turn?

5) Does there become a point when DSC won't bail you out and you would roll your mini on a sharp curve?

8) What is the gender makeup of Mini owners? My guess is that more males own the Mini S, but I imagine its fairly close.

10) Is there a way to rig up a fridge that would be placed in the space where the seats fold down?

11) If they made a cartoon with the Mini as the main character that drove around the mountains solving crime, what car would the Mini's nemisis be? I am thinking an Excursion, but KARR the evil arch nemisis of Kight Rider was a tempting alternative as well.

Think less, motor more. :nod: :thumbsup:

minihune 09-23-2007 02:04 PM

I think you have too much free time. Get a second job...soon.

1 - the MINI will sink like most cars not built espressly for aquatic transport. The cabrio might sink a bit faster. Windows up, the hardtop might sink in about 15 seconds or less since it is not airtight. Just be sure to either have the windows down or bring along one of those window breaking tools to let yourself out once you are totally submerged and not quite out of air yet. An air breathing device usually helps to reduce stress and prolongs your enjoyment of getting out of a bad situation with more comfort.
2- Terminal velocity of a falling MINI shaped object is likely about 117 mph (wild guess). In reality it isn't that easy to predict the exact speed. see http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/phy00800.htm. So that means you can drive it faster 3 miles on the ground than you can drop it from 3 miles up. Maybe.:lol:
3- Yes. three large military parachutes and put the MINI on a big flat cargo platform to cut speed and to land on. Don't forget to mount some machine guns in the passenger compartment. Rally lights are cool too.:nod:
4- Depends on your tires- winter tires will studs work well as they have been tested in Minnesota on icy roads every winter. And depends on how high is high speed- it's likely both DSC and LSD will be defeated and spinning will be the only option. And depends on how thick the ice is because it's very likely that you will have a very real test of question 1.
5- Yes, the laws of physics always apply and others have tested it in their MINIs with the same result of loosing control and hitting something or going sideways and rolling over.
6- Mine don't but they do self level. I've got the old 2003 MCS.
7- I think someone in Europe put a V6 in there but the weight of the engine is a bummer and everything else needs to be beefed up to handle the extra power and weight. Or maybe the V6 is just a rumor- 1.6L seems tops for now.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_MINI
8- Mostly males about age 45-50. Do a search, somebody has some data, check with MINI2.com.
9- Interior volume- [SIZE=-1]Cargo Volume with Rear Seat Down (ft³): 23.7; Cargo Volume with Rear Seat Up (ft³): 5.3. plus the front seat area. That's alot of hamsters- what is the volume of the average hamster anyway? Do you have to also close the door without them falling out? I guess you could load them via the sunroof closed just enough to fit one thin hamster. Seems kinda mean.[/SIZE]
10- yes, you can use a really small or even medium sized portable fridge like those used in dorm rooms for students and plug it into a power outlet that you tap off of the cigarette lighter. Just make sure that the power outlet is rated high enough for the fridge. Put some good drinks in there and some cheesecake or something for when you stop. Might be handy when buying cold foods and you don't want them to melt any on the way home. Heck, don't even need to stop at home, just stop and eat some and go on driving. Don't ask about a portable grill on your next post.
11- A Hummer of course.

jascooper 09-23-2007 02:48 PM

I think this post says it best:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...23#post1684823

Originally Posted by Blazermaniac (Post 1684823)
Yeah! I hate Blazermaniac so much. Down with him and his inaccurate questions! :) Not only is he inaccurate, but I think fairly stupid. Dumber than a retarded elephant I would guess.

minifiddler 09-23-2007 03:45 PM

i believe minis arch nemisis is the Hummer! evil evil cars!!!
: )

rockridge 09-23-2007 03:47 PM

Please limit your questions, to 1 question per post. We are all very busy here.... :eek:

minihune 09-23-2007 03:54 PM

This same thread was also posted in another forum.

NAM Guidelines:

SEARCH
Before posting, use the Search function to see if there has already been a thread on the same subject. Do not start identical threads or cross-post the same thread in different forums.

Choose one forum to post in.

I will ask for both threads to be merged.

minimarks 09-23-2007 03:56 PM

Dang, I been wondering about the same things.....:sly:

Edge 09-23-2007 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by minihune (Post 1766616)
I will ask for both threads to be merged.

Threads merged.

Blazermaniac, please don't post the exact same thing in more than one forum. :sly:

Blazermaniac 09-23-2007 05:00 PM

Sure thing. Consider me officially chastened. Keep in mind that I am dumber than a retarded elephant when deciding my punishment. Can I be the first first gear level person to be demoted to "reverse?" That would be an honor. Also, I don't think the hummer is the enemy of the Mini. Too obvious. I think we should make the nemisis something like the Volkwagon Rabbit or the Ford Fiesta. I just hate those cars so much!

minihune 09-23-2007 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Blazermaniac (Post 1766673)
Sure thing. Consider me officially chastened. Keep in mind that I am dumber than a retarded elephant when deciding my punishment. Can I be the first first gear level person to be demoted to "reverse?" That would be an honor. Also, I don't think the hummer is the enemy of the Mini. Too obvious. I think we should make the nemisis something like the Volkwagon Rabbit or the Ford Fiesta. I just hate those cars so much!

No problem.

If we ever do have a user level of "reverse gear" I will nominate you for that honor. Perhaps "neutral" would also be possible.

It's hard to think of a good MINI nemesis.
SUV- Cadillac Escalade
Car- Dodge Charger
Truck- Ford F150
Hybrid? Toyota Prius
Little car- Smart FourTwo?

adam76 09-24-2007 01:17 PM

I think a PT Cruiser would be an ideal nemesis.

Nemesis.

Nemesis.

What a great word. I don't get to use it enough.