North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   Wipers? We don't need no stinking Wipers! RainX or...? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/108237-wipers-we-dont-need-no-stinking-wipers-rainx-or.html)

DixonL2 07-23-2007 07:03 AM

Wipers? We don't need no stinking Wipers! RainX or...?

Curious - a subject that somes up a bunch on forums is the "treated windshield" question. So, do you treat your windshield, what success have you had, etc...??

Me: I loved RainX on the windshield for the highway, but around town it could streak and cause wiper chatter. PPG has some newer stuff, Aquapel, that's fantastic. Water beads up and blows off, no streaking, no wiper chatter, and it lasts many months (on 4+ cars I've tried it on)!

I especially like treating the side windows (RainX is great here, no streaking), where treated glass prevents that "gel" effect and improves visibility. And no, I don't work at PPG, but really like this stuff.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...sTreatment.jpg

(I just re-treated my windshield this weekend 9 months after initial treatment, which reminded me to share this...)

gjhsu 07-23-2007 08:44 AM

I wax my windshield (no, really, I do) when I wax the rest of the car. Works really well, too. At first, you may not think you're getting any on there, but it's working...

Rich.Wolfson 07-23-2007 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DixonL2 (Post 1645744)
...PPG has some newer stuff, Aquapel, that's fantastic. Water beads up and blows off, no streaking, no wiper chatter, and it lasts many months...

I have used Aquapel for years. Even before it was easily available. I used to buy it on eBay but then PPG started selling it under other brands in Pep boys. A few months ago I bought some again on eBay, PPG Aquapel brand for only about $3.00 a treatment. It does last for about a year but I do all my cars in both in the fall and in the spring. Great stuff. No streaking. But it is not like RainX and you really do need intermittent wipers so I still use RainX on my kart visor and the windshield of the Spec7.

I am amazed that the only way to get it when it first came out was a $100.00 window treatment from dealers on a new car. Have they no conscience?

Rich

MLPearson79 07-23-2007 09:07 AM

I love Aquapel as well. I put it on in October and it lasts through the rainy season til the end of April. The rest of the year it doesn't rain so I don't really need anything. I get mine on eBay too :) I buy 2 and do my MINI and hubby's Yukon and we can get through the winters hardly needing to use the wipers at all.

JIMMY MILO 07-26-2007 01:03 PM

When I picked up my MINI the dealer gave me a box of various cleaners and coatings, not bad for 29 grand. The water repellent he gave me for the windshield work awesome. Problem is all the bottles are labeled with the dealers name so I cant figure out who makes the stuff. Rain-X works good on the shower doors but it does cause chatter when it starts to come off on a windshield. Is there a national brand auto store that carries the PPG product.

mf44 07-26-2007 01:51 PM

I wax my windows also with Zaino. Water beads right up and its keeps the wiper blades from chattering. I used Rain X on my last cars rear window (with no wiper) and I got the same affect I'd say.

minjae 07-26-2007 07:09 PM

just bought some off ebay. can't wait to get them. it's gonna be raining real soon so quicker the better!!
i bought a good amount to last me a long while. :grin::thumbsup:
(six to be exact..:razz:)

DixonL2 07-26-2007 08:16 PM

I've heard that the automobile-branded stuff is Aquapel, but can't confirm... yet...

bamatt 07-26-2007 08:30 PM

I never treat or wax my windshield other than having RainX washer fluid in the reservoir. Ever since I started using Clarity to clean my windows water started beading like crazy when it rains. The water beads perfectly across the whole windshield so I feel like it has to be the Clarity but I dunno what's in there that would cause water to bead :grin:

BigSky 07-26-2007 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by bamatt (Post 1653910)
I never treat or wax my windshield other than having RainX washer fluid in the reservoir. Ever since I started using Clarity to clean my windows water started beading like crazy when it rains. The water beads perfectly across the whole windshield so I feel like it has to be the Claritybut I dunno what's in there that would cause water to bead :grin:

Aquapel maybe? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bamatt 07-26-2007 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by BigSky (Post 1654042)
Aquapel maybe? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/confused005.gif could be. I was shocked when the beading started but HEY whatever it is making the water bead I'm likin it :grin:

Spade 07-26-2007 11:41 PM

wax. Haven't had problems at all, but I love how clean the windshield holds up to rain... It's almost nice when it rains. It rinses away most of the dirt and dust that may have built up in the last week...

Qksquirt 07-27-2007 03:04 AM

Another vote for Prima Clarity. The absolute best glass cleaning product that I've ever found. That and a little Hydro and the water beads up like crazy.