North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   MINI Cooper S vs. Porsche Boxster (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/100852-mini-cooper-s-vs-porsche-boxster.html)

Rick3000 05-10-2007 07:58 PM

MINI Cooper S vs. Porsche Boxster

--------------------

minimarks 05-10-2007 09:19 PM

Crap...That's a tough one....:confused:

ChrisW 05-10-2007 09:22 PM

Keep the Porsche the R56 is ugly.

eny mini 05-10-2007 09:25 PM

I bet the insurance on the MCS is a LOT less $$$??

Rick3000 05-10-2007 09:36 PM

------------------

mistro 05-10-2007 09:41 PM

sell me the Boxster...

saxman 05-10-2007 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by minime07 (Post 1517471)
I bet the insurance on the MCS is a LOT less $$$??

you'd be surprised. We just picked up an 02 MC, and I'm shopping for a boxster for me, and the insurance between the 02 MC and the 98 boxster I'm shopping for is about the same.

koogzah 05-10-2007 10:32 PM

My last driving instructor said he liked my JCW more than the Boxster. And this guy drives Boxsters on the track like every other day. And the Mini can seat four. And can hold tons of gear. And is much better in the snow. Whew, yeah, that's a tough call. :lol:

koogzah 05-10-2007 10:34 PM

Oh, wait. You are thinking about getting an R56? Then forget what I said. Definitely get the Boxster.

jeffc 05-11-2007 04:16 AM

He could go with a used R53 JCW which would really bring a smile to his face.

mbcoops 05-11-2007 04:34 AM

Definitely drive the 07 before you do anything - it's a different car and might not suit your preferences. If the 02-06 is more your style, you can pick up a used one. Test drive a few!

mb

Scrumpy_Jack 05-11-2007 05:25 AM

I am a porsche nut and passed on a boxster when my wife and I bought our first mini. 11 months later I bought myself a GP and I am not looking back!

Rick3000 05-11-2007 05:36 AM

-----------------------

solberg 05-11-2007 05:42 AM

That's ridiculously low mileage on the Boxster. I'd keep it.

jakay11 05-11-2007 05:42 AM

Well, My wife really wants a BoxsterS (metallic blue, tan leather...)
You can make (or get) a Mini to handle nearly as well as a Boxster...

The Boxster gets you PCA membership, and the associated track time.
The Mini gets yo BMWCCA membership, and the associated track time.

You can bring your track tires to the track IN the Mini. (Well, I have a 944 so can do the same :) )... the Boxster needs a tire-trailer...
Both have a huge following, and large online support groups (Rennlist & NAM to name a few)

Both groups have nice people and pricks... (law of groups of people... there's always one @$$ho!e in the group...) but there seem to be more P-car people that spend serious $$ and look down at the person with a budget who is a car enthusiast, but what do you expect of someone who brings a $750,000 LeMans prototype to a Drivers' Ed track event populated by 944s, 914s, older boxsters and 911s... (most of these cars can be had in the 15-25K range).

I guess it comes down to space and styling... I had a choice between a new R56 and used R53... I got the older car, (CPO) with a better warranty, which I feel handles better and is punchier.... Used GPs (Prestige Mini in NJ has/had one FS). is more of the things I like in the R53 more better...

I'm not sure though that I'd sell the Boxster for a Mini, unless you really do need that space for a trip to Costco, or to haul 7 bags of mulch home... (yes the Mini can carry more than the Wife's BMW 3-series...)

HTH, and good luck!

jakay11 05-11-2007 05:52 AM

BTW, to sell the Boxster, try listing it on PCA's website (yes you need to be a member). Also Rennlist & Pelican have forums and FS space (for free)...

You can always TRY to sell it for 2K more than you bought it for...
(just make sure that you have RMS repair documentation as well as all maint. With that low mileage you'd hit the time vs. miles maint. items.)

As for performance, are we talking braking, straight line (not really appropriate for either machine), track times, MPG, range?

If you're talking about Modding, the Boxster can easily get bumped to well over 400hp... turbo kits and 3.8L engine swaps, big brakes, blah, blah, blah... the '07 Mini is a NEW car that does not yet have the same depth of mods available (YET)... you can make a great track toy or canyon carver out of a Boxster for the same $$ you'd put into a Mini... BUT if you bring your P-car to a dealer for maint, they will bend you over, and then steal your wallet... (read this months' C&D on a $79K long-term BoxsterS :) )

Again, it really comes down to styling and how much cr@p you need to move around.

Or just go out and buy a used (CPO) Mini and keep both :grin:

MOE4me 05-11-2007 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rick3000 (Post 1517353)
Hi,
... unbiassed opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Dude, you're on a MINI forum. Although we try to be "fair and balanced", there's just no way.

DixonL2 05-11-2007 08:01 AM

Dude, you're on a MINI forum. Although we try to be "fair and balanced", there's just no way.
+1 !

Check your values and the value/dollar proposition. Cars are a money-losing proposition at best. Why not enjoy the Boxster for a while, then sell it (you'll still have rediculously low mileage) and get a CPO Mini?

Is it the car, or the image thing? Minis definitely throw a different vibe than Boxsters... is there value in that for you?

Whatever - both are good enjoyable cars, the Mini's, well, smaller (in expense as well as size), but bigger (in fun, diversity of ownership). DOn't forget ther huge number of regional MINI clubs in addition to BMWCCA - the regional MINI clubs get you track time, instruction, and fun events as well, with a completely different vibe than Porsche or BMW events.

clarkdr81 05-11-2007 09:40 AM

It's a tough call, although I haven't driven a Boxter I imagine it is a fun car. I guess it comes down to what car you like best. That may not be much help so here's one more thing to consider, don't underestimate the advantages of owning a new car. The MINI will have a four year warranty AND 3 years of free maintenance. I don't know if the Porche has any kind of warranty on it at this point, but if it doesn't and you have any mechanical problems, repair costs could get ugly.

roaduscarnivorous 05-11-2007 09:49 AM

i didn't know you can buy boxsters for that cheap now. that's pretty sweet

buy an r53 :P

justintime 05-11-2007 10:57 AM

keep the boxter and drift

MDK 05-11-2007 12:02 PM

Since you just got and don't want to take a bath on taxes,etc- I would suggest you keep the Boxster for 6mo-1year-heck it's spring and top down motoring weather is here! After that time the loss situation will be better or resolved AND the 08 Mini's will be out. I am always unsettled about gettinga first year car, let Mini work out the bugs this year and make improvements to the 08. Waiting for 08 will also give you a chance to get a JCW version of the MCS-it's not out yet for the 07's

roaduscarnivorous 05-11-2007 12:18 PM

you guys're not being helpful. he wants us to convince him to trade in his box for a mini :razz:

if you've always *dreamed* of having a porsche :roll: then you might regret selling it mostly 'cuz you just got it and will most likely lose money selling it. but if you just want a good car, a car that's good, and a car that'll be good to have fun with, R53! :grin:

chows4us 05-11-2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rick3000 (Post 1517353)
unbiassed opinions are appreciated.

Be sure to read up about RMS seals on the Boxster. That can cause a bit of money to fix.

Rick3000 05-11-2007 04:17 PM

--------------------