General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

Deleting the key for racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Dirt Oval Racer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleting the key for racing

I'm picking up a 2003 to make a dirt oval car out of. I have to ditch the ignition key setup for a toggle and button. How can I cut out the ews setup permanently? I'm comfortable with electronics and schematics, is it possible to do this? I REALLY don't want to register a car just to get a new key just so I can have that stuffed under the dash somewhere. Registration and a key might cost 300 or more, thats a years tire budget!
I did some searching around on this issue, but the threads I came across were mainly about street going cars with owners that lost their key. When I build 4 cylinder cars or hobby stocks from production cars, I always strip the column down to the shaft, so I can mount the shaft with a rod end where I want it. Stock position is almost always less than ideal.
Any ideas?

Old 11-25-2017, 01:58 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Information about EWS is here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...c-immobiliser/
The Functional Description says that EWS is integrated not only with the starter but also the engine control unit (DME/DDE). I don't think you'll be able to get around the EWS.

Are you buying a car without any keys? You didn't say that, but it's the only thing that makes sense for some of your comments. A new key without remote lock/unlock transmitter is fairly inexpensive. BMW/MINI will create a key based on the VIN of the car and I believe that no programming is required to start the car (for 2003, programming needed only for the remote lock).

Old 11-25-2017, 07:07 AM
Dirt Oval Racer
1st Gear
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this car that doesn't have a key. It's abandoned, been sitting since 2011 with a bad transmission (5spd) and the owner of the lot wants it gone, but not at scrap yard price. It's not at a service station, so no mechanic lien, and that all costs money anyway. I wonder if Mini will cut a key with only a bill of sale, if I bring them the whole car to show possession. In the end, this car might end up just being a parts car for the racer. I bid on a couple on salvage auction sites where the key was present.
That link was pretty informative. I'm going to call the mini dealer by where the car is and see what they say.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:25 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Oval Racer
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this car that doesn't have a key. It's abandoned, been sitting since 2011 with a bad transmission (5spd) and the owner of the lot wants it gone, but not at scrap yard price. It's not at a service station, so no mechanic lien, and that all costs money anyway. I wonder if Mini will cut a key with only a bill of sale, if I bring them the whole car to show possession. In the end, this car might end up just being a parts car for the racer. I bid on a couple on salvage auction sites where the key was present.
That link was pretty informative. I'm going to call the mini dealer by where the car is and see what they say.
NO MINI will NEVER give you a key without a title or registration and an ID matching the info on title. This prevents someone from getting a key to a car that is not theirs.
So plan on getting a car with a key, or doing the paperwork so you can get a key.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Dirt Oval Racer
1st Gear
Good to know, I figured as much, but thanks for the confirmation.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Spank
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe a workaround would be to buy a setup from another car--

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2006-M...ZZcReo&vxp=mtr

I have the same question for a couple of 2004 MINIs I have that I am building into LeMons cars, but I also have the keys for them so my problem isn't exactly the same.

From a couple of people I've talked to who still run the factory electronics in their racecars, they all still use the key.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
You can give these guys a try. Not cheap but it works.
http://www.rmsonlinestore.com/main.sc

They can do a bypass on the EWS on the ECU....I have my 2003 done..just so there are no issues at the track with EWS and getting locked out of the system.

You can then eliminate the key. Not sure if they can do a 2011 ECU, but give them a try.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:30 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
better off going with a link ecu, those do not have ews do they? And lots better tuning

Old 11-28-2017, 01:54 PM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Not sure if they bypass the EWS but likey. I'll have to unplug my EWS on my Vipec and find out (essentially the same ecu).

But $$$$ to buy and $$$ to tune for a Lemons/Chump, Dirt Oval car or the like it doesn't make much sense!! Even the $500 or so for the EWS delete doesn't make much sense until your stuck at the track and the car won't do anything because the EWS has locked the ECU

Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 PM
Dirt Oval Racer
1st Gear
Thanks for all the ideas! Buying the whole kit used looks doable, some of those others not so much. I'm waiting to see what some of these sell for at the salvage auctions first. There seem to be plenty of them in the 1500 range just on CL. A little bargaining and a reasonable mini can be had. Maybe sell some of the stuff I don't need, like airbags and interior stuff.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:34 PM
Leora83
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey, did you ever get a dirt oval Mini built? My paved track closed a few years ago and I got rid of my car, but now I have the itch again and I'm thinking of building something for the nearest dirt track. My daily driver is a Countryman JCW so if I build a Mini I can push some of parts expenses through my business. No turbos or AWD allowed, though, so I'd have to find a base model.

Would love to hear how you did with yours.