North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   bilge fan brake cooling (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-discussion/319340-bilge-fan-brake-cooling.html)

MrBlah 09-20-2017 05:03 AM

bilge fan brake cooling

anyone else using bilge fan in brake cooling ducting?

Curious where you are fitting them, I'm currently running ducting from fogs but I definitely need more cooling. My plan is to keep the ducts I have and redirect them to the rotor face, and bilge fan duct into the center of the rotors.

these cars are so tight, I would like to fit a pair of 4" fans as they pump 230 cfm each but I have no idea where I could fit these things

looking for placement ideas

njaremka 09-20-2017 05:17 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but what makes you think you need more brake cooling? What are you running for calipers, rotors, pads, and fluids?

I would think the fans would only be effective when sitting still, and if you are performing a proper cool-down lap, brakes shouldn't be that hot afterward.

MrBlah 09-20-2017 07:18 AM

Brake life is horrible, I use 33 % of my pads in one weekend simply due to the heat. I'm running 295mm rotors up front right now with hawk dtc-60 or g-loc 12's and brake ducts to the rotor center.

I'm not changing the brake duct I have, I'm just adding MORE cooling

Fans are effective depending on the duct size the crossover between fans vs no fans is over 60mph but my plan is to keep the existing duct and add one more, so the crossover is not relevant

MrBlah 09-20-2017 07:23 AM

also I'm not even threshold braking yet, I'm leaving lots of brake zone on the table

squawSkiBum 09-26-2017 09:06 PM

I had the same idea of using in-line fans with the brake ducting, to help with cool-down. No idea where they could fit though. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the 2" duct from the bumper to the back of rotor.

MrBlah 09-27-2017 05:12 AM

I did some testing, it's basically inverse square law with airflow, if you cut the tube length in half you double the output I picked up a wind meter and verified this is the case due to the bends.

I cut mine in half so the bumper duct goes right to the front of the hub, it doubled the air output. Back duct now has a 3" fan on it, mounted above the axle, it's tight but it workshttps://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...292e75dbef.jpg

ECSTuning 09-27-2017 08:16 AM

Nice brakes line ;) I like the double air design.

MrBlah 09-27-2017 05:16 PM

those are ecs lines! but they are coming off, they do not work with the wilwoods, those will go on the jcw autocross car instead

Whine not Walnuts 09-30-2017 03:30 PM

If you cut the driving light hole out a little more you could duct from the front bumper to the wheel well. Might be able to swing around the lower front side of the shroud. Is that where the white fitting pipe is coming from?

Another way to increase flow is to use a pipe that is smooth inside. Also thinking that by reducing the end of one hose to more of a point, you increase the pressure that in turn will move more air to back and out via directional force.

Whine not Walnuts 09-30-2017 03:32 PM

In mechanical piping a 90 degree elbow normally adds 10' of straight pipe relative to pressure drop.

MrBlah 09-30-2017 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by r53coop (Post 4333930)
If you cut the driving light hole out a little more you could duct from the front bumper to the wheel well..

the front driving lights have been removed, the front duct feeds from the driving light openings, the white fan/duct is behind the strut

test dive went well, I may need to re-position the fan when the suspension is compressed it's hitting the swaybar

Whine not Walnuts 09-30-2017 04:25 PM

Dont know how much chopping you want to do but you could put a fan inside the driving compartment that then blows in to the wheel well. The old cars and trucks had vents like that in the old days. A hinge and a cam lock and you had outside air in the car.

Just reverse the flow. Would need to take the window washer bottle out

MrBlah 09-30-2017 04:26 PM

window washer bottle holds methanol now lol