General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

2017 Formula 1

Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
2017 Formula 1

Who has been following the F1 season so far? Thrilling to see the increased level of competition, Ferrari and Mercedes pretty much equal, Red Bull always just behind.

I'm curious about the last dozen laps at Spa. In qualifying, Vettel was just a fraction behind Hamilton. For the closing laps, Vettel had a brand new set of Ultra Soft tires vs. Hamilton on Soft tires with 15 or so laps on them. After the safety car, Hamilton was able to pull away or maintain a gap over Vettel.

Why wasn't Vettel able to turn it up and take advantage of the tires? In qualifying trim both cars were 6 - 8 sec/lap faster. Was it fuel economy? Brake wear? ???

Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 AM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Singapore - what chaos at the start. I have never been a fan of Verstappen, he is undeniably a very talented driver but I have always felt that his ***** were bigger than his brain and in interviews after incidents he always seemed to be whining that it wasn't his fault when clearly he had been too aggressive. But this time I thought it was Vettel who was completely full of $%#@ in describing what happened at the start. Raikonnen made an amazing start, Vettel moved hard left and poor Max was caught in a Ferrari sandwich. So Vettel took out Verstappen, his team mate, and himself, as well as Alonso, and handed the race win and possibly the season title to Hamilton. Would love to hear the discussions in the Ferrari garage after that. Anyone able to lip read Italian and have any idea of what Arrevabene was saying?

And how about the "stegosaurus" fins on Force India? I found that fascinating.

Search this Thread