General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

DSC good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 03:16 PM
Electrc109
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm an avid SCCA solo II racer, and am weeks away from ordering a new mini cooper. I would like to test drive a mini with DSC and one without DSC, but I know that will be rather hard to do.

So....

does the dynamic stability control help when autocrossing or does it inhibit ***** to the wall steering? when replying, please let me know more than yes or no, I'd like to understand your experience behind DSC.

Old 04-30-2002, 05:04 PM
wizardbill
1st Gear
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to BMW:

"Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is a suspension control system which goes beyond the single components of Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Cornering Brake Control (CBC) and Automatic Stability Control + Traction (ASC + T). "

An explaination of all of these terms--and more!--can be found at this web site, or one of the links found there:

http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/dsc.htm

This next link (also found at bmwworld) gives an explaination of how you might change your driving technique to take full advantage of a car with this type of system:

http://63.123.226.48/318ti/notebook/asc/

Old 05-01-2002, 05:09 PM
Electrc109
3rd Gear
does DSC has a switch? I'd be thrilled to hear that it does....

Old 05-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Yes.
You can activate it or deactivate it at will.
SW

Old 05-13-2002, 03:50 PM
abscars
Neutral
Hi, I took my test drive in a Cooper with DSC, and I did drive wildlyenough to activate it.(See my Story on th enews page) It does work, and would possibly be a good thing for drivers who aren't paying attention when they get over their head, or are driving too fast for conditions. I don't think it would be a performance advantage in autocross or track day, but it's switchable. Teh MINI I bought does not have it, and I don't care.

Abner, HS MINI Cooper, Liquid yellow/Black/Premium Pack, foglights, bun toasters.

Old 05-14-2002, 02:54 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
I've heard simular things and I think it is a great learning tool. Push the car, push it hard, and when the dsc starts working, remember where and try the same stretch of road again but change your approach to the corner, see if you can do it again with out the dsc activating. Experiment and you will find the better line. As for autocross, everyone I've heard said they would shut it off, but don't the F1 cars use a simular system? If it is good enough for F1 is it not good enough for the rest of us?

Old 07-01-2002, 09:32 AM
eMKay
Neutral
>>I've heard simular things and I think it is a great learning tool. Push the car, push it hard, and when the dsc starts working, remember where and try the same stretch of road again but change your approach to the corner, see if you can do it again with out the dsc activating. Experiment and you will find the better line. As for autocross, everyone I've heard said they would shut it off, but don't the F1 cars use a simular system? If it is good enough for F1 is it not good enough for the rest of us?

Autocross is done at a much lower speed than F1, DSC would not be an advantage because it will retard your speed much more dramatically at the lower speeds, in autocross what is considered "in control" by the driver would be considered "out of control" by the computer. Sometimes the best way through a particular chicane or short slalom is with some drift. Not so in F1