North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   Schroth Belts: Good or Bad? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-discussion/158650-schroth-belts-good-or-bad.html)

JIMINNI 11-24-2008 02:05 PM

Schroth Belts: Good or Bad?

Hi guy's and gal's, My question is, whats the verdict or opinions on using Schroth's "QuickFit or QuickFitPro" on a Mini with stock seats? I'm getting different info. that they are good but also that they can be dangerous. What do you think? Please any info. is appreciated :nod:

Alan 11-24-2008 02:16 PM

I love mine for DEs. Some organizations frown upon them. Check with your local organization to be sure. My only gripe is that they push down on my shoulders since the seat back is short.

You are much more planted in the seat with a harness.

Make sure the label says "designed and manufactured specifically for" your series of MINI.

Alan

minimarks 11-24-2008 03:29 PM

Love mine and give them a big :thumbsup:! Do order the shoulder pads too.

glnr13 11-24-2008 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 2565589)
I love mine for DEs. Some organizations frown upon them. Check with your local organization to be sure. My only gripe is that they push down on my shoulders since the seat back is short.

You are much more planted in the seat with a harness.

Make sure the label says "designed and manufactured specifically for" your series of MINI.

Alan

the shoulders/seat back thing is why some orgs dont allow them. recipe for spinal compression on impact. i run one myself at autox's.

Bigshot 11-25-2008 08:27 AM

There is no problem with any spinal injuries in a frontal collision!

That is why these are made available for the first gen. MINI, the seats have been tested so they do not deform during a frontal collision.

The main arguement against is the possible injuries sustained in a roll over without a roll cage installed. You would not be able to twist your upper body out of the way. On the other hand if you are secured in your car you may be able to regain control.

My buddy is 6'2" and he has them and he has had no complaints about the shoulders.

JIMINNI 11-25-2008 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bigshot (Post 2566571)
There is no problem with any spinal injuries in a frontal collision!

That is why these are made available for the first gen. MINI, the seats have been tested so they do not deform during a frontal collision.

The main arguement against is the possible injuries sustained in a roll over without a roll cage installed. You would not be able to twist your upper body out of the way. On the other hand if you are secured in your car you may be able to regain control.

Now this I have heard. I was told that it might not be a good idea to use the anti-submarine belts without a rollbar just because of this reason.

Big Daddy 11-26-2008 02:46 PM

I rolled and totalled my MINI at the Dragon last year and my Schroth completely protected me. I am 6'2" tall and never had a bruise or any other ill effects from the accident. The Schroth Quickfit gets 5 stars in my book.:thumbsup:

user 7082082 11-26-2008 04:06 PM

Im sorry to hear that Bid Daddy, but I am very happy now knowing that the Schroth keeps you that safe. Especially in the canyons as well and isn't just made for autox.

rwkeating 11-26-2008 04:40 PM

Check out the Schroth web page. They have lots of information on how/why their harness is safe (address some items people have brought up). I read a bunch about Schroth harnesses here and on their page before purchasing mine. I love it.