FSP / DSP (Street Prepared) Rules Clarification for Street Prepared

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
41 h stock
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rules Clarification for Street Prepared

I am a bit fuzzy on rear camber adjustment. After reading the 2007 rules, it looks to me that the best "legal" way to adjust rear camber is eccentric bushings. Also, adjustable rear control links are not allowed in Street Prepared. Is this correct???

I would much rather replace the rear control links.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2007, 03:55 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Section 17 Prepared Rules, part B (page 107 of my 2007 rule book) says you can exchange parts between different model years.

My take based on that is at the very least you should be able to get rear camber adjustment by using the stock MINI 05/06 set of rear control links which do have some camber adjustment.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
If you do not plan to do the full street prepared intake and exhaust allowances, ie, still street drive the car. You can use the Street Touring prep rules and run race tires in Street prepared. This would give you the adjustable camber links.. You just can't mix and match allowances.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:17 PM
41 h stock
2nd Gear
Excellent suggestions guys! My aim is to have a streetable track/autocross car that is somewhat competive (I know, I know it can't be done) . The biggest rub is the fact that I have replaced my stock steering wheel w/ a Momo. This keeps me from moving between FSP and STS, but I love it over the stock wheel. In a nut shell, I am balancing between FSP, STS, and Improved Touring rules.

Thanks again for the insight!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Well the steering wheel puts you out of STS as well as stock. So it looks like FSP. But that allows the switch to the newer stock adjustable camber links. With the addition of offset bushings you can have all the adjustment you need in the rear. Camber plates will give you what you need in the front.

Sounds like a fun multi-purpose car.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 AM
41 h stock
2nd Gear
After looking at parts diagrams at www.realoem.com and going through Grassroots Motorsports back issues, it looks like the magic of rear camber adjustment using the up-date/back-date rule is really with replacement of the trailing arms instead of the lateral links (more work than it's worth). Looks like the best solution that would satisfy all the rules would be a set of Kmac eccentric bushings. However, a stronger, easier, and possibly cheaper way would be adjustable lateral links, of course .

After dancing around stock rules for many years in "camber challenged" cars, I am looking forward to setting things up to maximize the Mini. Especially looking forward to installing the camber plates!!! No more tire eating (I am sure you can relate, Kieth).

Now, to be competitive in FSP, it looks like it would take a power to weight ratio of 20lbs/hp (measured at the wheels). According to GRM, you can get about 110 (wheel) hp under stock rules, but would anybody want to guess how much more you could get with a CAI, header, reflashed ECU? 5-10 extra? I am guessing that total vehicle weight in FSP trim would be around 2350 (03 Cooper w/ SS+ only option). That's w/ replacing the front seats and leaving in the A/C, etc. So, 117.5 whp may do it. Is it possible to achieve an additional 8 whp with those mods??? It is so hard to find real hp numbers on the base Cooper!!!! No vendors want to brag about these mild increases.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
Read the MTH threads, they seem to be getting pretty good numbers.

Another expence to consider, that will make a big difference, is the addition of a Quaiffe LSD. No more insider wheel spin.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 AM
41 h stock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Motoring
Well the steering wheel puts you out of STS as well as stock. So it looks like FSP.
Looks like I will run FSP for Divisionals (or until my R-compounds wear out), and STS for Nationals. It's relatively easy to swap the steering wheels.

At a quick glance it looks like nobody has ever ran a Mini in STS at Nationals. It could turn out to be a fun experiment to see how well it can (or cannot) do. Regardless, we will be having fun trying to be the spoiler.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
Looking at your list of upgrades, the Magnaflow Cat is not legal for STS.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:53 AM
41 h stock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Motoring
Looking at your list of upgrades, the Magnaflow Cat is not legal for STS.
I assume unmodified means "stock cat". It wouldn't be a big deal to put the stock cat on, but I hate to cut up my stock header (just in case). I am not sure how this rule is being interpreted.

I know MCS people that run STX that are putting on e.g Milltek or similar headers w/ cats that are not equivalent to stock.

I am not sure what makes the Magnaflow illegal over other header/cat combos people are running? My setup is emissions legal, and in the stock location. Help!

14.10 ENGINE
Engine and transmission must remain unmodified, including emissions
equipment, except as noted below:

D. Exhaust manifolds and headers may be replaced with alternate
units which are emissions-legal. Relocation of the oxygen sensor
on the header is permitted. Alternate oxygen sensors, including
heated types, are permitted. This allowance does not permit
relocation of the catalytic converter (see 13.10.E). Exhaust heat
shields may be modified the minimum amount necessary to ac-
commodate allowed alternate exhaust components.

Last edited by 41 h stock; 05-21-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
STX has different Cat rules than STS. In STS you must run the stock cat, in the stock location. STX allows replacement with a hi-flow cat and relocation within 6 inches.

FSP you can run without the cat.

Last edited by Motoring; 05-21-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:28 PM
41 h stock
2nd Gear
Cool! Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like back to stock cat if I run STS.

Next on the to-do list is an ECU reflash per the rules, of course.