North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   SCCA Solo and ProSolo (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo-199/)
-   -   FSP / DSP (Street Prepared) Building a DSP Mini. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo/89081-building-a-dsp-mini.html)

OasisT 01-11-2007 08:38 PM

Building a DSP Mini.

Well, the Solo season is quickly coming again and its time to start prepping for the first events. Anyway, I'm starting from scratch in 2007 and am going to build a STX/DSP hybrid Mini again. For starters we are going with a 2006 JCW Mini Cooper S. Here is a list of the components that we are using............

H-Sport Camber plates
H-Sport Control Arms upper and lower
Hawk HP+ Pads
Momo RS2-GT seats w/sliders - 28lbs each
Alta CAI
KW Competition 2-way coilovers
Keizer 15x10" wheels up front with 275/35/15 Hoosier A6
SSR Comp 15x7.5 wheels in rear with 225/45/15 Hoosier A6
GAIC ECU upgrade
Alta Crank Pulley
Deca 11 pound lightweight battery w/custom 1 pound tray
TCE braided brake lines
Quaiffe Limited Slip Differential
Schroth quick fit harnesses
Supertrapp custom lightweight cat-back(less than 20lbs)
Milltek Header w/race cat
Nology Hotwires
Denso Irridium Plugs

Things I am thinking about if I decide to abandon STX since below are a list of mods of which some would boot me out of STX..........

Lightweight flywheel(not STX Legal)
Clutch(not STX Legal)
A/C delete(STX Legal)
Stereo delete(STX Legal)

Thats it for now, anyway, I'll post pics when the car is finished and as progress is being made. Right now, the poor little Mini is stripped bare and is on Jack Stands!!! Hopefully in 6 weeks we will be done just in time for the first National Tour down in Bama!!!!!!:thumbsup: I'm optimistic that the new tires will help us Mini owners a bit against the Bimmers. I really think we can hang with them on the aphalt surface of HPT for the National Championship come late September.

dave 01-11-2007 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by OasisT (Post 1314511)
Keizer 15x10" wheels up front with 275/35/15 Hoosier A6
SSR Comp 15x7.5 wheels in rear with 225/45/15 Hoosier A6

:eek2: :thumbsup: :eek2: :thumbsup: :eek2: :thumbsup: :eek2: :thumbsup: :eek2: :thumbsup: :eek2: :thumbsup: :eek2: :thumbsup: :eek2:

Can't wait to see that, and to follow your progress in STX/DSP.

one more :thumbsup: and :eek2: for good measure.

Rally@StanceDesign 01-11-2007 08:58 PM

Yah what he said!!

Props for going with 15x10s :thumbsup: Good luck out there:grin:

OasisT 01-11-2007 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by RallyMINI (Post 1314544)
Yah what he said!!

Props for going with 15x10s :thumbsup: Good luck out there:grin:

Thanks! Thats the current plan, if they won't fit, we will have them altered to 15x9's. The tires are short enough to where I can keep the ride height to accomidate for clearance for the tire to stick out a bit. My main worry is being able to turn the wheel somewhere close to lock to lock without rubbing on the front bumper and rear poirtion of the wheel well. I'll update as we figure it out.

Rally@StanceDesign 01-12-2007 07:42 AM

If you dont already have the wheels....this might be of interest to you :thumbsup:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3021482

txwerks 01-12-2007 07:57 AM

Rock on... Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

David Fauth's DSP car is up for sale...

http://fauth.rmsolo.org/BMW/

fritznw 01-12-2007 10:58 AM

Craig,

Did your JCW Mini come with the JCW brakes or did you get a different stock brake kit? Curious where you found Hawk pads if you have the JCW kit? If I decide to go full DSP trim, I'll be removing the Wilwoods and going back to the JCWs that mine came with. I didn't think there were Hawk pads out there to fit the JCW kit. Can't wait to hear how the 15x10s work out with the 275s up front. I'll be surprised if it doesn't rub somewhere.

Dudley

OasisT 01-12-2007 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by fritznw (Post 1315330)
Craig,

Did your JCW Mini come with the JCW brakes or did you get a different stock brake kit? Curious where you found Hawk pads if you have the JCW kit? If I decide to go full DSP trim, I'll be removing the Wilwoods and going back to the JCWs that mine came with. I didn't think there were Hawk pads out there to fit the JCW kit. Can't wait to hear how the 15x10s work out with the 275s up front. I'll be surprised if it doesn't rub somewhere.

Dudley

Dudley

No, I didn't get the factory installed kit, it was a dealer installed kit. I initially had to Willwood kit on the car but with the 275/35/15's now out, I decided to go with that tire and scrap the BBK and go back to the stock brakes. The JCW brakes are too heavy IMO and I'm not sure that they would work with the Keizers I have in mind. Who knows, I might try out the JCW brakes if the regular brakes with HP+ don't work out.

I've been thinking about future details over the last day or so and I'm kind of questioning my plan though now that I think about it. I can see it now, a 2007 JCW Mini comes out and is placed in DSP. With unlimited boost, 250+ HP could be possible I'd guess. Hmmm, maybe I need to start this project with a new 2007 model S instead.:wink: Any thoughts? :-)

OasisT 01-12-2007 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by txwerks (Post 1314970)
Rock on... Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

David Fauth's DSP car is up for sale...

http://fauth.rmsolo.org/BMW/

It looks as if its now sold. I wonder who the lucky new owner is?

MINIPARTSGUY 01-24-2007 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by OasisT (Post 1314511)
Things I am thinking about if I decide to abandon STX since below are a list of mods of which some would boot me out of STX..........

Lightweight flywheel(not STX Legal)
Clutch(not STX Legal)
A/C delete(STX Legal)
Stereo delete(STX Legal)

I can't find anything in the '06 ST rules that allows OE stereo to be removed. Remember that a lot of ST cars (STS Civics and Integrae, for instance) came with no radio from the factory. All radios were dealer installed or aftermarket, which is different from a MINI, all of which came with stereos. Stereo removal is specifically listed in 15.2.M in the Street Prepared section

Charlie

cmt52663 01-24-2007 01:21 PM

Looks like Mr. Shields might not be back in DSP in '07

Mr. Wilcox,

Mike has listed his 2006 championship winning DSP car for sale. Might be moving to a stock class.

Sic transit gloria, and there goes my educational beatings for the coming season...

And possibly one less very tough BMW at Topeka.

Charlie

Samtrak 02-21-2007 06:13 PM

pics!

OasisT 02-21-2007 10:40 PM

Unfortunately, its not done yet, hopefully within a 2-3 weeks if the KW Coilovers arrive back from the fresh re-build. :-) I have a test/tune on the 24th of March that I REALLY would like to have it ready for. Anyway, I will post pics when it has taken a bit better form. :thumbsup:

Craig

cmt52663 07-01-2007 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by OasisT (Post 1385182)
Unfortunately, its not done yet, hopefully within a 2-3 weeks if the KW Coilovers arrive back from the fresh re-build. :-) I have a test/tune on the 24th of March that I REALLY would like to have it ready for. Anyway, I will post pics when it has taken a bit better form. :thumbsup:

Craig

Craig,

Looking forward to next year, and with the JCW Cooper over 85k miles, I'll be asking myself again if I have the money to go DSP. Next year I just might. Given the current landscape, would it be silly d'ya reckon? Any luck yourself against the lions and tigers and BMWs?

How much would you reckon an R53 should weigh in DSP trim? Aaron Shae is running one in NE Div, but I do not think it's fully lightened. He hadn't much luck at Devens, but it probably had a bit to do with fully knackered front suspension bushings.

Did you decide the WRXs were a softer target and run STX this year or are you still straddling the fence?

Thanks for humoring my curiosity.

Cheers,

Charlie

cmt52663 07-14-2007 02:59 AM

http://sccaforums.com/forums/5/249845/ShowThread.aspx

"2003 - 03 350Z in BSP, didn't know what I was doing lol
2004 - 04 Mini Cooper S w/out LSD
2005 - 05 Mini Cooper S w/LSD - bought this since LSD Mini was placed in GS

2006 - 06 Mini JCW - bought this because it was annouced at the town hall meeting that all Mini's were going to DS, I went to STX as a secondary option, later they announced the Mini was staying in GS, so, I made a bad move based on info given at the town hall meeting

2007 - 06 JCW still, but, it broke down, so, I was given an 07 MCS and back to GS"

Uh - I guess that answers THAT question!

DaKineMINI 05-14-2008 09:02 AM

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I noticed the OP listed the Alta crank pulley as one of the components for the DSP build - are crank pulley swaps legal in DSP?

Motoring 05-14-2008 09:08 AM

Yes, and in STX.

You want to stay with the stock diameter, just getting the lighter rotational weight.

DaKineMINI 05-14-2008 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Motoring (Post 2230572)
Yes, and in STX.

You want to stay with the stock diameter, just getting the lighter rotational weight.

OK, thanks. Just wanted to make sure because when I read the stickied rules for DSP, it seemed like it might not be allowed.

From first thread of this DSP section :

14.10 Engine and Drive Train
O. Any accessory pulleys and belts of the same type (e.g., V-belt, serpentine) as standard may be used.* This allowance applies to accessory pulleys only (e.g., alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and crankshaft drive pulleys).* It does not allow replacement, modification, or substitution of pulleys, cogs, gears, or belts which are part of cam, layshaft, or ignition drive or timing systems, etc.* Supercharged cars are excluded from this allowance.* This does not permit replacement of integral pulley-damper/balancer assemblies. Alternate pulley materials may be used. Idler pulleys may be used for belt routing in place of items which the rules specifically allow to be removed, such as smog pumps and air conditioning compressors. They may serve no other purpose.* Supercharged cars may not change the effective diameter of any pulley which drives the supercharger.

Motoring 05-14-2008 03:49 PM

the key is the last item, you can lighten, but not change the diameter. Besides most of the crank pulleys are stock size or smaller. smaller crank pulley would result is a slower supercharger speed...