FSP / DSP (Street Prepared) Fsp

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:02 AM
justintime
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fsp

so, I went from sts to FSP due to R-comps...

Locally its not really a problem, but im curious what does all does it take to make the cooper so it wont be squashed in fsp?

Old 11-20-2006, 10:19 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I would say a lot of stuff.

Here is a very competitive FSP Scirocco for sale: http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/200507.aspx

I'd say, do everything that the Scirocco has done, and then realize you're still going to be 300lbs heavier than it is...

EDIT - and oh by the way, it'd be WAY cheaper to buy that Scirocco than it would be to build your Mini into a competitive FSP car! $6000 is a nice price.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 PM
justintime
6th Gear
its only pushing 95 horses. granted it weighs less, as far as weight shavings what is legally alowed in FSP??

Old 11-20-2006, 06:23 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by justintime
its only pushing 95 horses. granted it weighs less, as far as weight shavings what is legally alowed in FSP??
Nothing, really. You can change seats, exhaust, headers, wheels, and that's about it. SP doesn't really allow any extra weight reduction. Back seats have to stay in, as do carpets, headliners, and whatever else.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:44 PM
justintime
6th Gear
doh, as far as suspension.. is the sky the limit??

Old 11-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Suspension is not "FREE" but you can do a lot of stuff,; coilovers, camberplates, excentric bushings. But no rear lateral links (unless you only do the ST mods, but use race tires.)

SP allows full engine management, including individual throttle bodies. So, lots of money to spend on intake...

Old 11-21-2006, 05:38 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
doh, as far as suspension.. is the sky the limit??
When you say "skys the limit" to an autocrosser, that means you'll be cutting up the body to move the suspension attachment points, and getting custom chromoly control arms built and stuff like that

I'd read the rules. At one time, there was some movement to allow "camber kits" into SP, which would have included rear lateral links on a Mini. Since I haven't owned an SP car in many years (and never owned a really competitive one), I don't know the rules anymore. I assume Keith is right, and this would make building an SP mini a little tricky - you'd have to set rear camber via ride height.

In light of this, and the fact that I assume you want a street driven Mini, I'd say to prepare the car as an STX car (meaning you can use an LSD and wider wheels), but run it in FSP on sticky tires. You won't get the SP intake rules, and won't be able to remove the cat, but that's pretty serious surgery for a streetable car anyhow. Under STX rules, you could use 1 rear lateral link per side - again read the rules, my ST_ rule knowledge is a bit dated.

Anyhow, this is why I run stock It costs enough money just to make an HS car go fast

Seriously, if you want to be fast in SP, that Scirroco is a bargain. I'd like to buy it myself, but have no tow vehicle (my other car is a subaru outback), and nowhere to store it - aside from the garage stall my Mini occupies

Old 11-22-2006, 03:37 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motoring
Suspension is not "FREE" but you can do a lot of stuff,; coilovers, camberplates, excentric bushings. But no rear lateral links (unless you only do the ST mods, but use race tires.)

SP allows full engine management, including individual throttle bodies. So, lots of money to spend on intake...

hmm, this almost makes me want to run azenis and stay in sts

would the car be competitive in FSP with

stiffer struts/or springs
rear sway and endlinks
front and rear brace
14/15 in wheels w/khumos v710
intake
exhaust
highflow cat

or would I actually need coilovers, camber plates, and possibly a remap/ecu

Old 11-23-2006, 05:25 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear

rear sway and endlinks
front and rear brace
intake
exhaust
highflow cat

Not sure exactly *how* competitive you want to be, but, my estimate is that nationally or even divisionally, it would not be competitive. In local events, if you don't have an FSP car like that scirocco running, you'd be fine.

However, you never know, if you're a wildly-gifted driver, you might do alright with it

Old 11-23-2006, 09:01 AM
justintime
6th Gear
Well.. can you drop in a LSD into a 06 mini? if so who makes it and would it just be easier to find a cooper s tranny used equiped with one?

Old 11-23-2006, 04:33 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Well.. can you drop in a LSD into a 06 mini? if so who makes it and would it just be easier to find a cooper s tranny used equiped with one?
Swapping the tranny would be easier, but technically not allowed in SP since the Cooper S is in DSP and the Cooper is in FSP (ie, not on the "same line" in the listings, so you cannot update/backdate between them). To be legal, you need the 5 speed MC tranny, to which you can add an LSD (oem if it will fit, or aftermarket, either is fine).

My advice for your situation would be to just run FSP until you burn your race tires up (they don't last forever), and by the time they're done, you'll be able to decide if you want to continue in FSP, or move back to STS.

In either STS or FSP, sooner or later you'll really want camber plates, coilovers, rear lateral arms, and a big rear swaybar.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:25 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
hmm, this almost makes me want to run azenis and stay in sts

rear sway and endlinks
front and rear brace
intake
exhaust
highflow cat

The best class to be in for the MC is H-stock. Period. But your times won't be the fastest until you apply your handicap.

STX and STS are also good places to be depending on the competition. At least you don't have to compete against drivers with R compound tires (which are legal in H-stock).

There are many legal things you can add in FSP but it's going to cost you $$$ and you may or may not see that much difference. It depends on how you drive- driving at the limit is good, going overboard is not. I cannot tell you how many times I see drivers in D-mod and E-mod classes do slower times than drivers in stock classes.

Your options-
stiffer struts/or springs- Lowering springs, Koni Yellow shocks. Adjustable Coilovers possible.

rear sway and endlinks- any front bar is legal but won't make a difference.
Stiffer adjustable rear bar (19mm or 22mm). Endlinks won't help unless you have coilovers.

front and rear brace- helps to stiffen things but not required.

14/15 in wheels w/khumos v710- 14" rims will not fit. Since you have limited power keep things very light. 15x7" rims as light as you can afford.
Kumho V710 205/50-15 tires and change them every season. Buy them heat cycled from tirerack.com (see Alex).

intake- any cold air intake, take your pick or make your own. Make sure the filter is clean for race day.

exhaust- any cat-back exhaust is legal, check out the helix13 MC exhaust.
highflow cat- Not necessary for FSP, I doubt it will make any difference.

LSD- is legal for FSP. Quaife differential is expensive as is the labor to install it. It helps with traction but don't expect that much benefit on time. You still have to drive well to no loose traction.

Other suspension upgrades- front adjustable camber plates (RDR-Helix13) help increase front negative camber (very helpful). Rear lower adjustable control arms increase rear negative camber. Aggressive autocross alignment can be set and checked each year.

Brakes-
Any brake line, single or dual master cylinder, vacuum brake booster, brake proportioning valves may be used.
ABS braking systems may be disabled, but not removed; brake boosters may be removed or added.*
Air ducts may be fitted to the brakes, provided that they extend in a forward direction only, and that no changes are made in the body/structure for their use.
Backing plates and dirt shields may be modified or removed.
Cross drilled and/or slotted brake rotors are permitted.
Any brake pads.

ECU reflash is legal.

Other legal things-
Air conditioning systems may be removed in whole or in part.
Any fully padded and upholstered front seat may be used.
Any steering wheel may be used.
Spoilers and cosmetic trim pieces are permitted. Side skirts may not be used.
No unauthorized modifications are permitted in order to accommodate authorized modifications (adding a non stock hood scoop).
Structural modifications are not permitted unless specifically authorized herein.
A spoiler may be added to the front of the car below the bumper.(see rules)
A spoiler may be added to the rear of the car (see rules).
Roll bars and cages are legal (see rules).
Fenders can be rolled for tire clearance.
The use of a fuel cell which complies with current GCR requirements is permitted (see rules).
Accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals may utilize substitute covers of unrestricted origin, shape, and size, provided they meet the following requirements (see rules).
Any ignition setting adjustment or system may be used.
The make, model number, and size of the battery may be changed but not its voltage.
Relocation of the battery or batteries is permitted but not into the passenger compartment.
Wiring harnesses may not be removed in whole or in part.
Carburetors, fuel injection, intercoolers and intake manifolds are unrestricted. Alternate throttle linkage and connections to facilitate installation of allowed induction systems are permitted, but may serve no other purpose.
The use of chilled liquids, ice, dry ice, refrigeration systems, vaporized compressed gases, etc. is prohibited.
Cylinders may be rebored to .0472 in. over standard bore and the appropriate standard oversize piston may be substituted. Cast or forged, non-stock pistons of the same dimensions and configuration as original equipment pistons may be used. Additionally the replacement pistons must be of the same weight or greater as the original equipment pistons.* The .0472 in. limit is absolute, no additional tolerance is permitted to accommodate wear.
Any mechanical shift linkage may be used.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:44 PM
justintime
6th Gear
that certainly gives alot of things to be done. unfortunatly I have two months till next season :x

Old 11-23-2006, 08:32 PM
justintime
6th Gear
here are the results from the last autox. not many people in class unfortunatly
it was two tracks in one day, kinda weird but thats what the d1 and d2 is.
I spun out on the last run but recovered pretty nice reguardless :p
1T 43 Justin Davis Mini Cooper D1 55.622+2 52.931 51.679+1 D2 52.994 53.208 59.858+2

FSP 33 Brady LotzMazda 3D 158.93956.939+1 57.115 91.733 D2 57.222 55.580 55.297

FSP54Mike Berritto GTI D1 56.351+5 55.777 58.398+DNF 93.200 D2 56.846+DNF 56.720+1 56.805