North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   SCCA Solo and ProSolo (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo-199/)
-   -   FSP / DSP (Street Prepared) Has anyone had any issues with a big rear sway and stock suspension? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo/265327-has-anyone-had-any-issues-with-a-big-rear-sway-and-stock-suspension.html)

whrisk 02-11-2014 01:06 PM

Has anyone had any issues with a big rear sway and stock suspension?

I have the hotchkis 25.5mm hollow rear bar with stock suspension and hankook r-comp race tires on my 08 MCS.

this past weekends autox i put the car on 2 wheels on 3 different occasions. the only thing i can think to do is put back on my stock rear sway till i get the coilovers i want.

check out the pic

http://rs903.pbsrc.com/albums/ac236/...3C.png~320x480

Grizld700 02-11-2014 01:31 PM

What setting did you have yours set to?

whrisk 02-11-2014 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Grizld700 (Post 3879695)
What setting did you have yours set to?

I have the bar on the softest setting.

boxter4ever 02-11-2014 05:39 PM

Swaybar ?

Hi , just to be sure the hole on the very end towards back of car :thumbsup:

whrisk 02-11-2014 05:51 PM

Yes, the hole on the very end of the bar.

v10climber 02-11-2014 06:10 PM

This happens more often than you would think. Probably a few times a year a car rolls over at auto-x. Typically they're older cars on worn out suspension running r-comps. I've never heard of a mini rolling though.

If you just have a rear bar and r-comps why aren't you running "stock" class for the last year its going to be around?

For equipment you could put on coils or even just shocks with more rebound force would keep the inside tires from unloading so violently.

I hate to say it but its probably driver technique. You need to be slower with your inputs. Turn in earlier but be gentler with the hands. Also, if the car starts to tank slap in a slalom DONT try to save it. Just get out of the gas and toss the run. That's mostly when people roll the cars is the violent back and forth that gets the car up on two wheels.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using NAMotoring

whrisk 02-11-2014 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by v10climber (Post 3879858)
This happens more often than you would think. Probably a few times a year a car rolls over at auto-x. Typically they're older cars on worn out suspension running r-comps. I've never heard of a mini rolling though. If you just have a rear bar and r-comps why aren't you running "stock" class for the last year its going to be around? For equipment you could put on coils or even just shocks with more rebound force would keep the inside tires from unloading so violently. I hate to say it but its probably driver technique. You need to be slower with your inputs. Turn in earlier but be gentler with the hands. Also, if the car starts to tank slap in a slalom DONT try to save it. Just get out of the gas and toss the run. That's mostly when people roll the cars is the violent back and forth that gets the car up on two wheels. Sent from my Nexus 10 using NAMotoring

I know how to fix it, I am buying ohlins when I sell my other car. I just didn't know if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Also, it only happened during high speed corners, slaloms the car was fine. My steering inputs were really smooth. I have been autoxing for 10 years. I need to edit down the in car video that shows my hands. You can tell when the car get up on 2 wheels.

Btwyx 02-11-2014 07:02 PM

We have that happen with unmodified sport suspension. It doesn't seem to cause any problems.

whrisk 02-12-2014 08:18 AM

i am just going to swap back to the stock bar till i get the coilovers.

whrisk 02-14-2014 09:16 AM

in car

squawSkiBum 02-14-2014 12:59 PM

Wow, I have the Alta 22mm RSB on my car (softest setting), otherwise stock suspension and in HPDEs I haven't come anywhere close to that. It has been a long time since I last did any Auto-X, though I remember some of the FWD cars cornering like a dog at a fire hydrant. Is it possible your struts are worn out and not damping properly in quick transitions?

v10climber 02-14-2014 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by squawSkiBum (Post 3881140)
Wow, I have the Alta 22mm RSB on my car (softest setting), otherwise stock suspension and in HPDEs I haven't come anywhere close to that. It has been a long time since I last did any Auto-X, though I remember some of the FWD cars cornering like a dog at a fire hydrant. Is it possible your struts are worn out and not damping properly in quick transitions?

You're probably not running race tires which is why you're not getting as much body roll. More grip means more roll.

To the OP... :eek2:

squawSkiBum 02-14-2014 03:51 PM

You're right, not on race tires, just the stock Conti RFTs until I wear them out, which can't happen too soon. Yes more stick means more roll - have you seen the videos of the Fiat 500s flipping? Apparently SCCA had some stability concerns with the 500 for autocrossing.

Yikes - time to finally pull the trigger on the coilovers and drop the car an inch or so.

v10climber 02-14-2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by squawSkiBum (Post 3881204)
You're right, not on race tires, just the stock Conti RFTs until I wear them out, which can't happen too soon. Yes more stick means more roll - have you seen the videos of the Fiat 500s flipping? Apparently SCCA had some stability concerns with the 500 for autocrossing.

Yikes - time to finally pull the trigger on the coilovers and drop the car an inch or so.

I believe the Abarth is the only one they allow to auto-x. A local club I organize with allows the regular models but we wouldn't let one run if they showed up on hoosiers

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring

miata_racer 03-12-2014 10:49 PM

not easy to tell from a 6 second clip but it LOOKS like you're lifting off and the car was biting coming into the turn there.

FWIW I ran the hotchkis Race bar on the back of mine (solid rear bar) on the stiffiest setting and only got on 2 wheels once. On my local concrete lot on my BFGs. 15x9 fronts and 15x7.5 rears. With my STF setup on the car.

Craig WIlcox has has his old DS R56 s model on 2 wheels a few times. IT happens. I'd say put the rear bar stiffer so the back end slides more. But without seeing how the car handles and how you drive we can't assess what's really going on there.

kyoo 03-13-2014 06:44 AM

jeez first time seeing this thread here. hopefully with street tires this won't be as much of a problem?

miata_racer 03-13-2014 06:56 AM

It won't be. I never ever ever got on 2 wheels on street tires. :)

kyoo 03-13-2014 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by miata_racer (Post 3895377)
It won't be. I never ever ever got on 2 wheels on street tires. :)

whew :lol:

Btwyx 03-13-2014 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Btwyx (Post 3879893)
We have that happen with unmodified sport suspension. It doesn't seem to cause any problems.

It looks like I misread the original post. I thought the problem was getting on 3 wheels, we've done that and it doesn't seem to be a problem. We've never than I know of got on 2 wheels, that's scary.

kyoo 03-13-2014 07:35 PM

^ i think as above mentioned, it won't be happening on street tires

yetti96 03-14-2014 04:25 AM

Prime example of not needing race tires on a MINI for your first Auto-X outing. Glad the OP was experienced and didn't freak.

whrisk 03-14-2014 04:40 AM

yeah, i put the stock bar back on for the last event. still got the infamous front wheel drive 3 wheeling. i will just have to live with it for now till i can get my ohlins. not as fast without the rear sway bar but way more safe, lol

And if you are not on race rubber i would not be worried at all with the rear sway bar, it was very good with aggressive street tires like hankook rs3's.

kyoo 03-14-2014 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by yetti96 (Post 3895969)
Prime example of not needing race tires on a MINI for your first Auto-X outing. Glad the OP was experienced and didn't freak.

not needing and shouldn't have - glad the rules have changed.

Originally Posted by whrisk (Post 3895973)
yeah, i put the stock bar back on for the last event. still got the infamous front wheel drive 3 wheeling. i will just have to live with it for now till i can get my ohlins. not as fast without the rear sway bar but way more safe, lol

And if you are not on race rubber i would not be worried at all with the rear sway bar, it was very good with aggressive street tires like hankook rs3's.

what class are you running in?

whrisk 03-14-2014 06:39 AM

Dsp

kyoo 03-14-2014 07:03 AM

oh duh