F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Can't fill up my 2016 4 door

Old 11-05-2017, 02:33 PM
katenka853
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't fill up my 2016 4 door

I have had my 2016 MC 4 door since June. No problems to speak of until today. We went to fill it up and immediately it started acting like it was full and the gas nozzle would click and gas would even come up into the place where you stick the gas nozzle. We were at Costco, then drove to Shell, then after an hour I took it to a BP. I read a forum thread where some people complained about this same problem with 2014s but were able to get around it by pumping with the nozzle upside down and/or not squeezing the handle all the way. I tried all those suggestions when I took it to the BP and nothing helped. I got nearly 4G in after about 15 minutes. Unacceptable. It's still under warranty so I'm taking it in ASAP but does anyone else have this problem? My last car was an Infiniti M35 that would occasionally do this, but usually after it was about 2/3 full. Today my car didn't want any gas to go down.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:58 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
My wife little pickup was doing this and I had her fill it slowly. They have most pumps with either a high fill pressure or a larger orfice to fill you up and get you out so they can get another customer in quicker. More money .. more money .. more money !

If your tank fills quickly and there is enough back pressure, the nozzle will shut off. Its the design. So since my wife fills it slowly, she can fill it up full, and sometimes cap it were she can see the liquid level at the top of the fill nozzle each time.

Hope it helps.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:56 PM
katenka853
Neutral
Yes, that's what I was doing. I would barely depress the trigger on the nozzle handle. But nothing worked. Every now and then it would put .05 gallons in without stopping. And yes, pumping full blast was obviously out of the question; it would shut off immediately. And this problem literally just started out of the blue today.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:28 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I've heard of Mini replacing some gas tanks because of this problem.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 AM
katenka853
Neutral
Yep, they are gonna replace my gas tank. Crazy. I wonder what goes wrong with it.

Also does anyone have their media system switch inputs for no apparent reason? It will arbitrarily decide to switch to radio from usb or bluetooth on a whim. Or vice versa. It's very annoying.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
I bet its the vent valve in the tank that is too touchy and the pressure builds up and the pump senses it and backs off maybe?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-08-2017, 04:31 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Glad they're taking care of your gas tank problem Can't help with your audio source troubles though.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 PM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this problem periodically with my R60, but just picked up an F55 and yesterday was the first day I filled it (it's used with 10k miles), but it did the same thing. I could only fill it with the trigger about half squeezed on the pump. If it continues, MINI will def be getting contacted.

Hope the new tank takes care of your issue. In the winter, when it takes more than 5 minutes to fill a tank, this isn't fun!

Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
katenka853, ask your Service Writer to see if he/she knows what is going on with the slow fill issue or see if you can talk to a Mechanic.

There are a few things that could cause the issue with the tank, as gas tanks are no longer just a jug hanging under the car, they are way more complicated now with emissions regulations along with safety concerns. On my former SVT Contour I had a similar slow-fill issue, would take 20-30 minutes to get 13 gallons into it. Turned out the material chosen for the roll-over safety valve on the filler neck would swell and cause the flap to get stuck almost closed and block free flow of the gas in. Ford had to replace both the filler neck and gas tank as a complete assembly, luckily it was covered under warranty.

Good luck with your replacement.

Search this Thread