R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

2012 Mini Countryman R60 Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 PM
paulm1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 Mini Countryman R60 Tail Light

Odd tail/brake light issue: the upper bulb on the right taillight cluster won't work. I switched bulbs and the bulb is fine. Performed a continuity check of the cluster and it's fine. I would like to find a good wiring diagram or service manual to further diagnose and/or has anyone had this problem too?

Old 11-03-2017, 06:20 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Seen others have this exact problem, ended up a board issue within the tail light itself. Not saying that's what this is, but sounds alot like it.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:21 PM
cudamank
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, second the board is bad. I have the same issue. The contact is burned, and the upper bulb works intermittently.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:07 PM
nwflyingdutchman
Neutral
I'm also having this issue. First it went on the left. Changed the bulbs (which were burnt) and still didn't fix it. I checked the wiring cluster by swapping the tail light boards and the left brake light was functional. Reassembled and connected both tail lights. Left brake light continued to be bad...then today the right one goes out. Lift gate light continues to work. I didn't notice before but there is a clicking sound under the center console when I push the brake pedal. Could there be a relay or switch down there which has gone bad?

2011 Countryman S All4. about 70000 miles

Old 11-26-2017, 01:22 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
There is a brake light switch in the brake pedal assembly that will make that 'click' sound and that's what it is intended to do. If the switch fails then you wont have any brake lights, not just on one side. Did you read the two prior posts? That's where the problem likely is.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:20 PM
nwflyingdutchman
Neutral
My mechanic said that all the components are functional but the software needs to be updated in order for the brake lights to work. Anyone else ever run into this kind of problem with the software needing to be updated?

Old 03-04-2018, 08:03 PM
interloper
1st Gear
Also have a 2012 R60, going on two months of ownership...same deal...My passenger side lower brake light goes in and out, I haven't been able to figure out a cause but it never stays off longer than a day...its super weird. I haven't tried replacing it due to the fact that when I got replacement bulbs the stupid thing worked again. So thats fun.