R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Bleeding brakes. No fluid from calipers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:07 AM
bulldogmcs
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bleeding brakes. No fluid from calipers!

HELP
2014 all4 s. Finished full brake job yesterday. This morning I tried to flush out the old brake fluid using my motive power bleeder. It was very slow but it did come out. Did all four corners in correct sequence. Turned engine on and pedal goes to the floor and abs light is on. Car has no brakes!!! Now when I try to bleed it I get no flow from the calipers. The car drove fine after the brakes had been changed yesterday. I'm thinking I have a blockage somewhere abs. Pumping the motive to 15psi and no flow and any caliper. Anyone else come across this??

Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
did you check the fluid level? if it ran too low and you add fluid, you might have bubbles and need to redo it again. after each corner, check fluid level and add more.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:07 AM
bulldogmcs
1st Gear
Fluid is full. I'm using a motive bleeder. Problem is the fluid will not move through the brake system.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:08 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
do you have another person to do it the old fashion way? someone pumps and presses, then you release the check valve for a second and then close it, then repeat.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Adrian Valverde
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldogmcs
HELP
2014 all4 s. Finished full brake job yesterday. This morning I tried to flush out the old brake fluid using my motive power bleeder. It was very slow but it did come out. Did all four corners in correct sequence. Turned engine on and pedal goes to the floor and abs light is on. Car has no brakes!!! Now when I try to bleed it I get no flow from the calipers. The car drove fine after the brakes had been changed yesterday. I'm thinking I have a blockage somewhere abs. Pumping the motive to 15psi and no flow and any caliper. Anyone else come across this??

This happened to me too.
The thing to do was

1. Calm yourself ( i thought I had ruined my car!!)
2. Go get the wife and ask her to step on the brakes for you.
3. flush all the air out the lines.
4. Phew! Fixed.

Good luck !

Old 09-06-2017, 01:09 PM
bulldogmcs
1st Gear
Thanks. Walked away from it. Went back and played around with the motive bleeder. All good now. Thx again.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Yah the bleeder (and bottles) are great, but gotta watch the pickup tube and level in the reservoir. Its easy to drain too much and start grabbing air.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:58 AM
Crazy Airborne
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have to do anything special to the brake wear sensors when you replace the pads?I just had the car tell me the brake pads need to be replaced, so Im looking to do that this week but I know there are sensors, not sure If I need to do anything special with them when I put in the new pads?

Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 AM
Adrian Valverde
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Crazy Airborne
Do you have to do anything special to the brake wear sensors when you replace the pads?I just had the car tell me the brake pads need to be replaced, so Im looking to do that this week but I know there are sensors, not sure If I need to do anything special with them when I put in the new pads?
Great question, I'll probably have to do mine soon too. Let us know what you find out.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
The following users liked this post:
Adrian Valverde (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:00 AM
bulldogmcs
1st Gear
You have to remove and replace them. Very easy if you pay attention to orientation of ones you are removing. One per axle. Make sure you have a #14 female torque socket for the front caliper bolts.