F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

P1290 code or something else

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Czarnicoloff
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1290 code or something else

So I have a 2015 F56 2.0L Manual,106k, completely stock. It’s been in limp mode for some time with a check engine light. Sometimes by turning ignition on and off while the vehicle is moving I can get limp mode to turn off and the car drives with no issues. Check engine light stays on but no drive train malfunction and the car is completely normal.

I pulled a p1290 code with 2 different OBD code readers. Turns out that code is for the coolant temp sensor. The car has never overheated nor ran hot ever.

I took it to the mechanic just to confirm what I thought and he told me something completely different.

According to him my electronic waste gate is stuck closed and hence the turbo charger is toast. Went on to stay there was no p1290 code at all. I checked it when I got home and it was still there.

im wondering if perhaps the turbo issues are a symptom of the coolant sensor? It has anyone experienced anything similar? I ordered a sensor and will see if I get extremely lucky and it fixed the issue but I’m not getting my hopes up. Thanks!!

sorry my pictures suck

Old 07-23-2020, 04:01 AM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Czarnicoloff

So I have a 2015 F56 2.0L Manual,106k, completely stock. It’s been in limp mode for some time with a check engine light. Sometimes by turning ignition on and off while the vehicle is moving I can get limp mode to turn off and the car drives with no issues. Check engine light stays on but no drive train malfunction and the car is completely normal.

I pulled a p1290 code with 2 different OBD code readers. Turns out that code is for the coolant temp sensor. The car has never overheated nor ran hot ever.

I took it to the mechanic just to confirm what I thought and he told me something completely different.

According to him my electronic waste gate is stuck closed and hence the turbo charger is toast. Went on to stay there was no p1290 code at all. I checked it when I got home and it was still there.

im wondering if perhaps the turbo issues are a symptom of the coolant sensor? It has anyone experienced anything similar? I ordered a sensor and will see if I get extremely lucky and it fixed the issue but I’m not getting my hopes up. Thanks!!

sorry my pictures suck
Good morning. Did you solve your issues? I've got the same code that shows on my 16 JCW with116,000

Old 10-31-2020, 02:55 PM
Arrivederci Zagato
2nd Gear
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I have the same issue as well with the p1290/wastegate. If the OP or anyone else passing by has some answers, it would be appreciated!

Old 03-31-2021, 01:01 PM
Rednkentucky
Neutral
Anyone get a resolution for this error P1290 on F56 S? Is it waste gate, turbo, vacuum or something else that resolved it?

Old 03-31-2021, 03:21 PM
Arrivederci Zagato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rednkentucky
Anyone get a resolution for this error P1290 on F56 S? Is it waste gate, turbo, vacuum or something else that resolved it?
Yeah I got it fixed a few months ago. Diagnosis was that the wastegate was open (thus no pressure) as the rod that moved it was stuck in position. Had to replace the whole assembly as I was told by several shops that it isn't something that can be fixed in isolation.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:27 PM
Rednkentucky
Neutral
Originally Posted by Arrivederci Zagato
Yeah I got it fixed a few months ago. Diagnosis was that the wastegate was open (thus no pressure) as the rod that moved it was stuck in position. Had to replace the whole assembly as I was told by several shops that it isn't something that can be fixed in isolation.

So just the wastegate was replaced?

If you don’t mind me asking what was cost to replace the part?

Did it require you to go get it retrained? If heard that the wastegate when replaced requires a programing from dealer to get it retrained.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:58 PM
Arrivederci Zagato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rednkentucky
So just the wastegate was replaced?

If you don’t mind me asking what was cost to replace the part?

Did it require you to go get it retrained? If heard that the wastegate when replaced requires a programing from dealer to get it retrained.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my post. Actually, the whole turbo had to be replaced. I went to three different shops including a dealership and they all told me I'd have to get the whole turbo replaced as you can't replace the rod on it's own. The cost for me was $2000, but I found a low mileage junkyard turbo. New it would have been somewhere around 3.5-4.5k including labor.