F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Why Aux in is very loud vs Bluetooth or Any music app?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:46 AM
activehybrid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Aux in is very loud vs Bluetooth or Any music app?

Hi there,

I've tried all the iPhone, Spotify, other websites to find a real solution but still nothing!

The sound is very loud when I use Aux in cable with +10 sound level for Aux in but I never had that loudness in either Bluetooth or any music app.

Please, please help if you figure out any magic setting in either phone, app or Mini settings.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by activehybrid
Hi there,

I've tried all the iPhone, Spotify, other websites to find a real solution but still nothing!

The sound is very loud when I use Aux in cable with +10 sound level for Aux in but I never had that loudness in either Bluetooth or any music app.

Please, please help if you figure out any magic setting in either phone, app or Mini settings.
BT sends a fixed digital signal, in which the cars radio amplifies it.
Aux cable gets a variatble analog signal, then a the cars radio amplifies it.
So you are double amplifying the analog signal, most likely will result in a higher THD (distortion).

Old 08-17-2017, 09:19 AM
activehybrid
1st Gear
Thanks for explanation!

But isn't there a way to increase the loudness little bit more ?

Old 08-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Antmax
1st Gear
With my android phone, there are music apps like poweramp which have Equalizers and pre amp settings. The Preamp setting does enable you to boost the signal that comes through bluetooth close to analog level.

I'm sure there are apps with similar settings for the iphone.

Here's a screen showing the preamp slider on the far left.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 AM
activehybrid
1st Gear
I appreciate your help!

I downloaded some apps in my iphone but haven't tried yet.

I will write down my experience when I try.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
tagging along, my bluetooth audio is no where near loud enough

Old 08-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Antmax
1st Gear
Yeah, bluetooth is really quiet on my F56 which has Visual Boost. You can't even tell that the floor speakers under the seats are working. USB is marginally better. Aux is the only way to get a nice full bodied sound. I thought maybe it was the speakers, but with AUX and a good music app you can get a pretty good full sound and the floor speakers are put to good use.

So the speakers aren't the problem. The app I mentioned previously helps, but is still no where near as good as Aux which actually sounds very good.

It looks like the audio software is lacking. It's normal for bluetooth to be a little more flat but if your music app has good tone controls you should be able to compensate with those settings as long as that app is being used.

Having looked around some more, it seems to be a common problem. I use a pais for music app on Android that has lots of tone shaping features and FLAC lossless support. It works well within bluetooth limitations. Aux is better but loses you some flexibility.

Last edited by Antmax; 08-25-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:36 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hmmm ...i have 2016 MC F55 with HK and visual boost ( 6 in screen) and have my entire itunes on the USB thumb drive ....i recently also attached my ipod, using the belkin Auto Kit ( discontinued few years ago)into the Aux In and A / B'd same song and both ways sounded equally good ...i adjusted for same volume via the Auto Kit's volume control (which disconnects the ipod's amp so the ipod's volume control is rendered deactivated as the Auto Kit does not connect into the ipod headphone jack)