R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Miltek Downpipe intstall now I have an o2 sensor light

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:02 AM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miltek Downpipe intstall now I have an o2 sensor light

Im very new to the site so dont beat on me too bad. I just put a milltek catted downpipe on my 12 countryman along with some other mods (intake piping before and after the intercooler) and now I get a check engine light for the bank 1 upstream o2 sensor. I took EXTRA care removing and installing the sensor and everything stayed in tack. I was wondering if the downpipe could be the issue?

Last edited by countrymanwot; 08-08-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:44 PM
spoolinturbo
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the large diameter DP will throw a CEL (in most cases), a tune will rectify that. If you have any other exhaust mods you want to do, have them done and then have your DME sent out. I hear most tuners have quick turn-arounds.

They also sell O2 Spacers which could eliminate the CEL. It's worked but not a guaranteed fix.

Last edited by spoolinturbo; 08-07-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:57 PM
B2FiNiTY
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just wanted to add that is completely normal.

If you want it off, get a tune.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Markbett
2nd Gear
If I already have a tune and add this will I still get the warning light?

Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
Yes the large diameter DP will throw a CEL (in most cases), a tune will rectify that. If you have any other exhaust mods you want to do, have them done and then have your DME sent out. I hear most tuners have quick turn-arounds.

They also sell O2 Spacers which could eliminate the CEL. It's worked but not a guaranteed fix.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:31 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Markbett
If I already have a tune and add this will I still get the warning light?
What tune are you running?

Old 09-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Markbett
2nd Gear
MANIC MINI Stage 1 ECU Tune

Old 09-14-2017, 08:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
You said you have an upstream fault? That would be the pre cat sensor. So that fault shouldn't have anything to do with your downpipe. So that needs to be diagnosed just like a stock car.

Now if you have the fault for the downstream sensor after the cat then that is caused by the downpipe and you will need a tune to not have the light on.
We can do the tune for you if you want to send over the ECU
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...e-r60-r61.html

It is perfectly normal to get post cat or cat efficiency faults after installing a downpipe as they all cause a light and require a tune to avoid.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Markbett
MANIC MINI Stage 1 ECU Tune
You need stage 2 to get the CEL suppressed

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 PM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
UPDATE: for anyone who cares or follows this. I have been working with a tuning shop for my cel with no luck because they are super busy and somehow cannot find time to get a paying customer into their shop. However my light only comes on when I drive the car on longer highway drives or longer rides in which case I carry my scanner and just turn it off. I have just found a product that seems to be sent from the gods and hopefully will work. It is an 02 sensor spacer with a mini catalytic converter built into it so you can run catless or high flow cats without a tune and WITHOUT THE CEL. I just ordered it and have never seen anything like it but I will come back with a link once I install it to see if it works.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Generally speaking, these don’t work very well. The import guys love them, but they don’t address your root problem for the CEL. Shops are slammed this time of year, but you deserve a solution. Don’t give up - Please post up YOUR findings.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:21 PM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by R56devotion
Generally speaking, these don’t work very well. The import guys love them, but they don’t address your root problem for the CEL. Shops are slammed this time of year, but you deserve a solution. Don’t give up - Please post up YOUR findings.
I know what is wrong with the car it is my upgraded downpipe. So to run the downpipe without the CEL until I get a tune I will try the catted spacer in the meantime.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:56 PM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by countrymanwot
I know what is wrong with the car it is my upgraded downpipe. So to run the downpipe without the CEL until I get a tune I will try the catted spacer in the meantime.
UPDATE: I am running the O2 sensor spacer with the cat in it that I paid $50 for and it has cleared my engine light

Old 12-27-2017, 04:47 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,711 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by countrymanwot
UPDATE: I am running the O2 sensor spacer with the cat in it that I paid $50 for and it has cleared my engine light
Which spacer did you use? Link?

Old 12-27-2017, 06:50 AM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Which spacer did you use? Link?
https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cat...or-spacer.htmlThis is the one I used. It’s for an r53 but it still works. It probably won’t fit a factory heat shield because it’s pretty big. At first the car didn’t like it but I decided to try it out a few days watching the air fuel and a few other parameters on a scanner to make sure everything was ok and it was so I kept it and I cleared the light and it never came back

Old 12-27-2017, 08:27 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Is this on the upstream or downstream sensor?

Previously you stated upstream (what would be the precat sensor on a stock downpipe).

Can you clarify?

Old 12-27-2017, 10:02 AM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
I put it on the pre cat sensor because that’s the one I had a code for. And I’m not sure what you mean by what the stock one is? It’s a Bosch manufacturer

Old 12-27-2017, 12:28 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
The AFR readings (that I assume) you are reading via the OBD2 port may or may not be accurate with this device installed.

People don't normally get codes on the pre-cat sensor after the installation of a catless downpipe. Altering the installation of the pre-cat sensor can be risky. How this device affects the actual AFR readings is anyone's guess. You may want to reevaluate your "solution" to the problem.

What is the code that you are getting?

Old 12-27-2017, 04:51 PM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The AFR readings (that I assume) you are reading via the OBD2 port may or may not be accurate with this device installed.

People don't normally get codes on the pre-cat sensor after the installation of a catless downpipe. Altering the installation of the pre-cat sensor can be risky. How this device affects the actual AFR readings is anyone's guess. You may want to reevaluate your "solution" to the problem.

What is the code that you are getting?
Yes I understand that and I am aware of all of that it was a P0420 code and that’s what cleared it for a short time until I can get to someone who does maniac tunes or has software to tune it because no one local to me is able too so until then the light is off

Old 12-28-2017, 05:42 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
If I'm not mistaken the p0420 code is the efficiency code and triggered by the catless downpipe because the upstream and downstream sensor are reading very similar.

It really has nothing to do with the upstream sensor. Move the device to the downstream sensor.

To clarify, the upstream sensor is closest to the turbo while the downstream sensor is below the car.

The Manic tune will definitely solve the issue.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:05 AM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
If I'm not mistaken the p0420 code is the efficiency code and triggered by the catless downpipe because the upstream and downstream sensor are reading very similar.

It really has nothing to do with the upstream sensor. Move the device to the downstream sensor.

To clarify, the upstream sensor is closest to the turbo while the downstream sensor is below the car.

The Manic tune will definitely solve the issue.
Yes I understand all of this you are 100% correct thanks

Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
What is your reasoning for installing the device on the upstream sensor?

Old 12-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Neal3000
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tried this product for the downpipe CEL issue?
http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detai...nsor-simulator