R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Limp mode at 2500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 07:27 AM
MaddyMini
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Limp mode at 2500 rpm

Hi all, I'm a newbie, so if this has been answered elsewhere please forgive and redirect me. The issue:

My wife's R60 all4 S manual trans, throws a CEL/ enters limp home mode (yellow, not flashing, half engine icon shows up on dash) whenever these very specific instances occur: going up hill, part (about 75%) throttle, at 2500rpm. It is very regular. It also resets fine next time the ignition is turned off and it is turned on and driven. She has taken to driving "one gear lower" to avoid it.

85000 miles on car. It has a new(er) hp fuel pump, and ignition coils (both replaced in the mid 40k range) Sparks done as per maint plan. MAF sensor also replaced a while back. Issue has lasted through many many tanks of many brands of fuel. Car seems otherwise OK.

I have not read to see if there are any stored codes (I don't have the special BMW scan tools, but do have a regular OBD-II / CAN BUS scanner.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by MaddyMini

I have not read to see if there are any stored codes (I don't have the special BMW scan tools, but do have a regular OBD-II / CAN BUS scanner.
Why not read the codes at this point? Even a generic scan can be useful.

The following users liked this post:
MaddyMini (07-24-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 AM
MaddyMini
Neutral
At the moment the car is with my wife at work.

in the past with this problem there have been no stored codes (or none my scanner would pick up?)

I will scan again this evening and post, but I'm pretty sure there will be nothing there.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:57 PM
MaddyMini
Neutral
Update

just (tried to) read the fault codes on my wife's mini. As i suspected, nothing stored or at least nothing I can pick up (using BAFX OBD II Bluetooth dongle and Torque app.)

To be clear, CEL is currently off (as usual...as per original post the code clears after restart / normal run)

I also should have added that the car is a 2011 in case that matters.

has anyone else ever heard of this issue? The things that make it so odd to me are that it happens mid load, mid rpm, warmed up, and it is so repeatable. Very odd bunch of symptoms in my (limited) experience. Also there is no noticible sound / hesitation / anything when it happens...just the CEL and accompanying chime.

again, any input is welcome.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
If everything was changed at 40k, try a tune up first, plugs, coils. You can check the bypass valve on the turbo but you need to have a replacement handy if the diaphragm is torn. Last thing is HPFP.

MaddyMini (07-24-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 AM
mwhelan
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have an '11 all 4 s countryman, and have experienced the same problem. Dealer says the DMTL pump needs replacing. Might be the same issue with your wife's car.

MaddyMini (07-24-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by mwhelan
I also have an '11 all 4 s countryman, and have experienced the same problem. Dealer says the DMTL pump needs replacing. Might be the same issue with your wife's car.
I think that pump is covered under extended warranty, emission related part!!!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 AM
MaddyMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by yesti
If everything was changed at 40k, try a tune up first, plugs, coils. You can check the bypass valve on the turbo but you need to have a replacement handy if the diaphragm is torn. Last thing is HPFP.
Thanks.

All of the following have been replaced...

Parts that have been replaced:
Sensor P/N 13 62 75 99 907
Sensor P/N 13 62 75 99 906
Sensor P/N 11 65 75 99 547

and the high pressure fuel pump
PN 13517592429

... but the issue persists.