F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Water leaking down interior of door

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:46 PM
clevelandrum
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leaking down interior of door

Earlier this year I noticed water on the inside of the passenger door, and damp carpet. I thought it was a problem with the door seal, maybe behind the side mirror. I finally took it to the dealer and they believe it's coming from the sunroof, but they don't know how to access the area. So they contacted Mini, and are awaiting a solution. Anyone else have a leak?

One picture shows water on the carpet. The other shows where it collects in the crevices of the door and near the side of the glove box

Attached Thumbnails Water leaking down interior of door-leak1.jpg   Water leaking down interior of door-leak2.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 12:19 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Not in an F56 but my previous R56 had the same symptoms, turns out there's a sunroof drain tube that is connected in the A pillar but had somehow gotten loose so water would just run straight down into the passenger footwell. I got bad mold allergies due to lots of rain in the middle of a humid St. Louis winter dumping water into the carpet (before I realized what was happening). Independent shop charged $400 for replacing.

I'm guessing part 7 in this diagram might be loose or something:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=54_0486

TIS states replacing the front drain tube isn't possible without extensive bodywork :(
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nroof/GGkRKNmD

However I looked up the R56 repair manual and it states the same thing. I'm pretty sure the indie shop had to lower part of the headliner and remove the A pillar to access the drain tube so there was no extensive bodywork involved.

Hopefully MINI national has a solution or other alternatives to try.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:43 PM
clevelandrum
2nd Gear
I think you may have nailed it! I just dropped it off at the dealer, and they thought it would then go to a body shop. MINI HQ advised them to run a video scope down the hole and send them the footage for verification. For the 2nd time in 2 weeks, they gave me a new Clubman as the loaner. This loaner is E-blue, and is quite nice.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:47 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I got a clubman once recently when my car went for an oil change. They're nice cars, a little on the big side for me but interior feels really upscale. Hard to compete against my JCW in terms of driving dynamics though

Old 06-22-2017, 07:49 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I saw a flexible camera/scope that worked with WiFi for sale on slickdeals the other day. Around $25 IIRC. Never thought of using it for that though. It's not unusual for the drains to get blocked, especially if the car is parked outside. Another reason I passed on the sun roof on my F car.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:48 AM
clevelandrum
2nd Gear
Leak seems to be fixed. Turns out it was a clip inside the a-pillar that was installed incorrectly. No major repair that required help from a body shop. Sun roof works too, had a loose wire connection.