R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Hard accel stutter

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:37 PM
JKam
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard accel stutter

As the title implies I have an intermittent stutter on hard accel usually in 3rd or 4th gear. Hard accel meaning nearly floored. This happened more frequently before I changed out the spark plugs. Went away for a while and now it's back but more infrequent. I can't replicate 100% of the time. I always back off the accel when I feel it begin to stutter and the car drives fine after. It's specifically only on hard accel and usually when there's more demand on the engine. Prior to the spark plug change I was getting a misfire code. I have not thrown a code to my knowledge but don't have a reader to check. I checked the plug gaps the other night and all seems fine. Think it's time to swap out the coils? Do you think that could be a logical next step and the coils are causing the stutter? Would you swap the wires out as well? I'm not seeing any corrosion on the terminals.

My other thoughts on possibilities would include: high pressure fuel pump, something in the turbo or something else entirely.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:26 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
It's one of your coils. I had that issue in my Countryman and I swapped out the bad coil and it went away. Technically I changed all the coils

Old 06-14-2017, 05:12 AM
JKam
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok. Great. Thank you for reminding replying. I'll post back later this week when the coils get here in case someone else is digging around go coil information. Figured I'd replace them all as well while I'm at it.
Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
It's one of your coils. I had that issue in my Countryman and I swapped out the bad coil and it went away. Technically I changed all the coils