R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

2011 S All4 - HPFP dying, or?

Old 05-28-2017, 12:15 AM
ATP
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 S All4 - HPFP dying, or?

I just crossed 51k miles. I've changed the oil every 4k miles since I've owned it at 40500 miles, and prior to my owning it it has been dealer serviced at whatever designated intervals Mini asks. And I've never let the gas get below half of a tank as I have a Solstice that is sensitive to its HPFP dying prematurely due to low fuel and I've just gotten into the habit of filling up at halfway.

So for a while now our Countryman has been having a bit of a rough time at startup on colder mornings. I've mostly ignored it since it's rarely cold here in SoCal. More recently it would stumble a bit while getting up to highway speeds and occasionally misfire, yet again I wrote it off.

A couple weeks ago I put in new Beru spark plugs. I'd have checked the coils with a multimeter but I can't seem to find the resistance values on-line for what they should be.

I recently got the notice in the mail from Mini stating the warranty on the HPFP has been extended.

Well, now things are a lot worse. Now it's rough to get going up from a stop to 10MPH, keep having to play back and forth between the throttle and clutch like it's not getting enough gas. And once you are moving, there's no difference between 20% throttle and foot to the floor. It just doesn't rev the engine any faster, you just slowly accelerate. And now I'm getting the "multiple misfires" error along with the specific cylinder numbers

I've switched the ignition coils around (and even the spark plugs after going a bit nutty) and the misfires stay in the same cylinders, so I'm pretty sure I can rule out the coils as an issue since the bad cylinder doesn't follow the coil. It also feels like it's just not getting fuel.

In any case, trying to see if my experience is what others have had for their dying HPFP, or if I just have it in my head that that's likely the issue since I got that notice recently.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:03 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Dying & dead HPFP's are a common problem. Lots of threads on this site about it.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Scan OBD for codes (free at some auto parts stores or buy a $20 one off Amazon). HPFP usually will give some codes that pinpoint it. If you have the code the dealer will replace it. If not they will potentially diagnose, charge you and do something else.

I was routinely scanning my car, the day the codes popped up after a hard start I called for service and had it replaced.

Search this Thread