F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Transmission fluid/filter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:33 AM
Ms Mister
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission fluid/filter issue?

Hello,
I purchased a used 2009 mini cooper this February. Currently I am facing an issue that I think is being caused by bad transmission fluid or a bad filter. The car is shifting very hard, it feels like I'm being rear ended every time it changes. When I slow down the car will jump slightly and accelerate about 5 mph for a moment, and then go back down to where it should be. I just had a terrifying experience where the car felt as if someone had slammed on the breaks suddenly. I think the car suddenly downshifted.
My car is automatic and has paddle shifters, with about 98,000 miles on it. Got a fresh oil change three days ago, and replaced one camshaft sensor about 5 days ago.
Not sure if this could be part of the issue, but the car has been giving me a yellow light that says the coolant is running hot for the past two days. I wouldn't think the two issues are connected, but I don't want to assume anything.

Do you think my filter has gone bad? How much should I expect in repair costs? This is my daily driver, and I put about 10 miles on it a day at minimum. Is that too risky? Should I let the car sit until I can afford the repair?