F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Passenger airbag off light staying on

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:37 AM
jmb2232
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passenger airbag off light staying on

Good morning everyone!

I just noticed the other evening that the passenger airbag off light remains illuminated all the time unless someone is sitting in the seat. I could swear that it has been remaining off after startup when the seat is empty. My wife's R56 acts that way -- remains off after startup. I'm wondering if the sensor thinks there is something of some weight in the seat but not enough to be a person. I know that my lunch kit being in the seat has not been causing the light to remain on. Can someone help me out and confirm that the default for the light is off if the seat is truly empty? Thanks.

Mike B.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmb2232
Good morning everyone!

I just noticed the other evening that the passenger airbag off light remains illuminated all the time unless someone is sitting in the seat. I could swear that it has been remaining off after startup when the seat is empty. My wife's R56 acts that way -- remains off after startup. I'm wondering if the sensor thinks there is something of some weight in the seat but not enough to be a person. I know that my lunch kit being in the seat has not been causing the light to remain on. Can someone help me out and confirm that the default for the light is off if the seat is truly empty? Thanks.

Mike B.

I believe the light stays on while the seat is not being occupied by a passenger. It turns off once the seat is in use. No point in deploying an airbag if there isn't a passenger to protect. I'll check mine tonight and report back if I'm mistaken.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:24 AM
jmb2232
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Lucila
I believe the light stays on while the seat is not being occupied by a passenger. It turns off once the seat is in use. No point in deploying an airbag if there isn't a passenger to protect. I'll check mine tonight and report back if I'm mistaken.
Thanks. Still I cannot believe that I have not noticed the light remaining illuminated when the seat is empty. I'm embarrassed to say that I have had the vehicle for just over a year. Guess I'm getting senile.

Mike B.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmb2232
Thanks. Still I cannot believe that I have not noticed the light remaining illuminated when the seat is empty. I'm embarrassed to say that I have had the vehicle for just over a year. Guess I'm getting senile.

Mike B.
👍🏻 I noticed it a while after buying my car too. I did watch mine the other night and It stays on permanently as long as the seat is empty.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:17 AM
jmb2232
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Lucila
👍🏻 I noticed it a while after buying my car too. I did watch mine the other night and It stays on permanently as long as the seat is empty.
Thanks for the reply, Lucila.

Mike B.