R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Valve Cover Issues - 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:20 PM
JKam
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Cover Issues - 2011

First time posting but, I have really enjoying this resource and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have a 2011 countryman s. Valve cover was recently slowly leaking in several spots so, I thought I would change it out. Picked up a new cover from ECS tuning. Initial install was fairly painless until I went to check my work. After about 10 mins I cut the engine and checked the cover bolts. I noticed all were pretty loose so, I tighten them up. I figure this was normal given the cover is plastic and it was about 20 degrees when I was working on the car.
Has anyone else needed to re-tighten after initial start up? I was really careful not to over tighten on the initial install and did the same when I re-tightened (I read somewhere that the bolts should be around 7 ft/lbs).

Second issue, it's been a while since the install of the new cover and I have developed a little leak in one of the spark plug tubes. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm planning on pulling the cover again to check the tubes and gasket around the troublesome tube.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-24-2017, 01:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Should have went on fine with the preinstalled bolts. Yes its around like 9ft lbs. Just snug them down again. They might not have been tight enough in the first place. Check the gasket again. If you have any issues let me know. Also make sure before you put the valve cover on you did not drip oil down the tube, and it seems like its leaking now, clean it all out n the tube, make sure its all snug. Then drive again and inspect.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-25-2017, 09:52 AM
JKam
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found an online manual.

States this:
Seal all edges and joints on the cylinder head with sealing compound Drei Bond 1209.

Anyone heard of this before? All edges?? Would RTV black work?