R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Flooded fusebox?

Old 02-12-2017, 12:18 PM
miniroger
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flooded fusebox?

I have a 2013 countryman cooper S. Couldn't get it started last week. Cold weather and low fuel tank. AAA came and put fuel in tank. Still not starting even though it sounded like it was trying. The guy thought it may be fuel line. Ended up getting towed to Mini/BMW dealer. They said the problem was a flooded fuse box due to water seepage from malfunctioning sun roof drainage leaking into fuse box. I can't find anything like this online. Does this make any sense? They say the fuse box and computer (?) need to be replaces at a cost of around $800. Anyone have any comments on the problem, diagnosis and suggested solution?

Thanks.

- roger

Old 02-13-2017, 07:32 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
I dont know if that issue is the cause of your problem but.... any vehicle with a sunroof can have that problem where there's a blockage and water is forced into the cabin interior. Most of the time you see it as wet floors so its quite possible that water found its way down to the fusebox area. A shot or two of compressed air usually keeps those drain tubes clear.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:21 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
A flooded fuse box CAN cause a no start. I bought two three flooded cars from the auction and the flood level varied. the lowest was up to 1/3 of the way on the box and the car wanted to start but did not.

to get the car starting, buy a used box with MATCHING part number and make sure it says R60 on the box...check car-part.com and ebay.

Although you can start the car with this used box, you need to code and program it to mach the VIN and VO using WinKfp and NCSexpert.

Let me know if you need help with that. Im in philly PA

check my profile

Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Aaron Smith
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Footwell Control Module?

I was looking for an answer today as to why my 2011 Countryman S was having weird electrical problems after the battery went dead last night. I came across a couple of threads saying that similar problems manifest themselves from water dripping from the sunroof drains onto the computer that is housed in the footwell, hence the name, Footwell Control Module. There are a bunch of threads on the internet describing how to replace it with a used one and how to make sure that you check your vin before you try to get a used one and then I found one saying that Mini had extended the warranty to 8 years or 125,000 miles. So I went to the dealership and confirmed it that it is under warranty. Wish me luck, it's going in sometime next week, hopefully sooner than later since the passenger window is stuck in the down position and the driver's window doesn't move either.

List of gremlins:
1 Front windows do not function. Rears work fine.
2 Courtesy lights are not working, map lights are but none of the ones that work with the door, even through the switch.
3 Headlights are on low beams but won't turn off with the switch and High beams don't work at all. Fog lights are also not answering.
4 No Dash lights
5 Red Service light is on, Car on Lift light
6 Door ajar light is on, yellow and shows the front right
7 Turn signals and Hazards are out too

Everything else seems to work fine, kind of hard to drive too much without signals though.

I will update next week when the dealership does what they do.

Search this Thread