R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

DME Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:32 PM
timthe2lman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DME Question

Can someone tell me if the DME is engine specific? I have a Countryman S but I have access to a DME from a Base model. Will it work or do I need one for an S model specifically? Thanks!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
NO, the DME is coded and VIN specific to each car. So if you need a DME you need to order a new one with your VIN. Can't make a used one work as the codes won't match to the rest of the car and won't start

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-22-2017, 07:57 AM
timthe2lman
Neutral
Thanks, WMW for the info. Are all of the modules in the car coded to match each other? In other words, can any of the computers be replaced without being coded to match? I suspect that my JBE might not be original to the car. I'm not finding a way to verify that either way. I do know the DME's label matches the VIN of the car.Unfortunately, I can't communicate with it or any other PT-Can components. JBE flags a C90B PT Can comm fault.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:44 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Yes pretty much all the modules are coded to the car. Some can be recoded to work in a different car, but not always. Often if you use a module coded to another car you can loose features or functions. So make sure they car coded to the car before chasing any other problems

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM
timthe2lman
Neutral
Do you know how I would go about checking the coding on the JBE?

Old 01-29-2017, 11:38 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by timthe2lman
Do you know how I would go about checking the coding on the JBE?
You would need a shop that can code modules. Then install the new one and code it. No way for a DIY on coding at home.