F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

P.O.S. Pirelli RFT

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:19 AM
tommydh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P.O.S. Pirelli RFT

Ok I now have about 19k on my 2015 f56 S. 4 days after purchasing it I get the tire warning I stop and look side wall is split. I replaced my 52 mile tire with a Bridgestone model since I could not make it to Mini on the bad one. Fast forward a year I go to leave for work I notice TPM warning I look front left 0 psi I get hose from shed as I fill I notice split in side wall. I neeeded tires soon due to treadwear but was not ready at that moment. I had to take wheels to shop to have tires mounted since could not drive on it. I notice bubble in passenger side tire in same F---ing spot a week later the final Pirelli goes once again in the side wall but on the inner side but same area. Anyone else have this type of issue. Needless to say I am no longer on Pirelli tires my GF's fater has removed any pirellis he had on his vehicles 8* M3 M5 I am now on normal tires a set of BFG KDW I ran them on my previous veicles with out issues and they stick to everything. Only issue is now need a freaking spare. In case of extreme emergency Honda 5 lug spare will fit enough to get 4 lugs on to allow travel to repair facility or home.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:02 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
KYDan had the same problem at MOTD this year. Luckily Michelin was on site and had a set of tires for him overnight. I swapped my run flats for Goodyear Eagle F1 AS tires within a week of ownership. I don't carry a spare. I do have roadside assistance through two or three sources. And for dire emergencies I carry a TPMS friendly slime kit in the car.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:38 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Not a good sign for those of us with the Pirelli P7 runflats! But so far so good for me. I will likely change brands at some point but as long as they perform well, as they have so far, I'll keep them. I know looks isn't that important but I do like the look on the stock 18"s!

Old 06-12-2016, 01:58 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
If your keen to keep the runflats the dunlops are better

Old 06-14-2016, 11:24 AM
DouginCMH
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only have about 12K on my Pirelli's, so hope I don't have to deal with this for a while yet. But I did just order a spare tire/bag, jack/lug wrench and chock set-up, to carry along for longer trips. I've never had a car without some sort of spare,and don't really want to start now, especially considering the various downsides to RFTs in general. I'm hoping these last a while, but at the moment I'm leaning toward moving over to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:46 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have loved both my Minis, a 2006 S Cabrio and now a 2015 JCW Hardtop. In a word though, all the RFT suck!

In NY metro area there are so many potholes you are sure to damage these tires every few months, or sometimes even weeks. Of course, having large rims on the JCW only exacerbates the likelihood of sidewall bulges from potholes.

On my 2006 Mini I had tire and wheel coverage. I replaced 7 tires and a rim, so they lost money on me. I put on non-RFTs when the insurance ran out and the car rode so much better and had one normal and repairable flat in about 4 years. I drove with a donut on my back seat (I almost never had passengers).

On the 2015, after 7,500 miles in nearly 18 months I have already been through 7 RFTs. I'll never wear the tread down, but at a $50 deductible on a twice as expensive wheel and tire policy it is still an expense.

So, after this Mini, no more for me, not unless they find a way to get rid of the RFTs. I will NEVER get another car, any make, with RFTs, not as long as I live where I do.