F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

secret compartment

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:10 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I hide the speeding tix so my wife doesn't have a clue.
ISAMIN

Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GregoryK
I can order from Germany but it costs as much as the compartment!
I can probably make it work. Thanks for your help!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:42 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for doing that. Looks, as you say, like a different shape.
Not a cheap upgrade in that case!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:57 AM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Thanks for doing that. Looks, as you say, like a different shape.
Not a cheap upgrade in that case!
Yeah unless you changed both pieces to something different. Not so much a different shape but it would def take some modification and some gluing.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:57 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Originally Posted by heavyJ
I ordered the parts last week from ECS last week and got them yesterday, and installed them last night. Took little over an hour, but if I had to do it again it would take 30 mins or so. The hardest part was getting that damn center cluster out at the top.

Parts were $179 for the compartment, piano black cover and the piano black piece behind speedo. Which is crazy because if you order the car with piano black it is $200 and no compartment, so that is some hefty markup on 2 plastic panels.

Instructions if anyone is interested, sorry no pictures but like I said not too hard, and I always forget to document things.
Tools needed: T15 screwdriver, Trim Pry tools, Towel or something soft to lay the cluster on, Screwdriver (I used flathead)

1. Pull the center channel grill off (trim pry tool)
2. Pull 2 pin clips from Center light ring thing
3. Pull the ring most of the way off, I could not figure how to get it all the way off, as stuck at top, but I pulled it far enough off to access the 2 T15 screws at the bottom.
4. Take out 2 T15 screws
5. **Tricky part** use screwdriver to push down the tab that hangs on for dear life under the center channel grill (center little hole under grill), pull the center cluster out at the top first until the tab gets past the hole, also 2 spring clips which pop easily on their own.
6. Shift cluster up a bit and pull it out of the hole and rest it on the towel or something soft, I didn't disconnect anything but I guess you could.
7. Take out single T15 screw that hold in vent.
8. Pop out vent there are little spring clips on other 3 sides (not one on screw side).
9. Pop plastic panel out 4 spring clips on back.
10. Pop Compartment in make sure it works before reassembly, stick new plastic panel on to check fit.
11. Put vent back in and screw.

Next 5 steps needed to switch out behind speedo.
12. Take vent out on driver side same way as passenger.
13. Take 2 T15 screw right below speedo.
14. Slide Speedo toward you and off bracket
15. Pop Panel off 4 spring clips.
16. Replace panel and reassemble speedo and vent.

17. Reassemble center cluster bottom in first and top second.
18. Put all screws and pins back.
19. Snap back on speaker grill.
20. 4 screws in panel on compartment and 2 screws for compartment.

I have not done the last step because I need the screws which I need to call the local mini parts dept or I can just wing it but would rather have real parts because I doubt they cost much. I will ad part numbers when I get them.

I am extremely happy with the outcome, as I don't think the checkered really matched the interior once I got it and I got the secret compartment for under the $200 Mini wanted for it without the compartment.

Let me know if anyone has questions as I just did it last night and I will try to answer them.

Part Numbers: 51459290340, 51459297776, 51459297772
Any chance you could take a pic of your dash and mark on where you are referring to in your notes. Center channel grill etc...(gather you mean the speaker grill but am unsure why this needs to be pulled so just want to make sure...and drivers side vent etc....

Thanks if you have time.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:09 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Any chance you could take a pic of your dash and mark on where you are referring to in your notes. Center channel grill etc...(gather you mean the speaker grill but am unsure why this needs to be pulled so just want to make sure...and drivers side vent etc....

Thanks if you have time.
These are not my pics but I found them when searching for dash pics online.

I added all the circles and arrows

The 2 circles by the vents are where the screws are for the vents, and 2 circles on the radio are where the screws are you take out to get the unit out.

Arrow is the damn thing you have to push down to get it out and the hole it goes into, if you look closely you can see the grill off on top, the center hole under the grill is where you have to push it down.

Left Arrow is where the vent screw is, other are is where you screw the compartment in and above and below are the spring clips that hold it in, it uses the same clips from stock panel. The screws are not really necessary but I found something to go in the hole so it looks finished

Old 06-29-2016, 07:19 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Thanks!!!!
So you have to pull the center console so you can pull the vent to the right of it? In the vid at the beginning of the thread it looks like that guy pulled the cover without pulling the consol....but maybe that is not a good idea.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Thanks!!!!
So you have to pull the center console so you can pull the vent to the right of it? In the vid at the beginning of the thread it looks like that guy pulled the cover without pulling the consol....but maybe that is not a good idea.
I guess you could do it but there would be a possibility of breaking something. The screw is on the left side and the spring clips hold it in on the right by the panel. I think in the video he had to grind stuff off and it left a gap, I wanted mine to look stock so I did the right way or a way a dealer would do it.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:27 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
I guess you could do it but there would be a possibility of breaking something. The screw is on the left side and the spring clips hold it in on the right by the panel. I think in the video he had to grind stuff off and it left a gap, I wanted mine to look stock so I did the right way or a way a dealer would do it.
Thanks Heavy J.
I just ordered my compartment (no fascia for the moment). I'm with you on the installation. Better to not break anything. :=)

Old 06-30-2016, 11:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
51459292102 I will see if we can get it. Its so new its not available in the US yet.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-30-2016, 11:45 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
51459292102 I will see if we can get it. Its so new its not available in the US yet.
I'm not sure....I think it's the opposite. You could get the secret compartment but now you can't. Also that color was not a US option on the 2016 JCW's.
I already checked with Bob Wiesenthal at ECS and he said he couldn't get it. ....but please feel free to try would love to order it from you!

Old 06-30-2016, 12:11 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yea, we are going to try another way, at first we could not get it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-16-2016, 10:31 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Hey Heavy. Quick question. Did this following your great instruction. With the center console back in place it is now a little lose at the top. When I first looked at the clip at the top you have to push down on where the front of the center speaker grill goes - I thought I saw a clip but it is not there now. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway went to my dealer to check out the fit and with the new cars they fit tight. Don't think the wires were in the way. Any thoughts?
Thanks Mate!

Old 07-16-2016, 12:23 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Hey Heavy. Quick question. Did this following your great instruction. With the center console back in place it is now a little lose at the top. When I first looked at the clip at the top you have to push down on where the front of the center speaker grill goes - I thought I saw a clip but it is not there now. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway went to my dealer to check out the fit and with the new cars they fit tight. Don't think the wires were in the way. Any thoughts?
Thanks Mate!
If you look at the picture above on both sides of the arrow at the top of the console there are spring clips as long as the are there and pushed into the holes that should be as tight as it gets. How loose is it?

Old 07-16-2016, 12:32 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
If you look at the picture above on both sides of the arrow at the top of the console there are spring clips as long as the are there and pushed into thei holes that should be as tight as it gets. How loose is it?
Compared to the one at the dealer somewhat. The one there was right...no movement.
Also there is gap around the vents. Screws at bottom are tight.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:18 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Compared to the one at the dealer somewhat. The one there was right...no movement.
Also there is gap around the vents. Screws at bottom are tight.

2 things I can think of.

There are 2 little hooks that didn't get in just right when I was putting it back together, I had kind of pull put the bottom in first then the top to get it in right. I thin the screws would seem tight since there it is holding it out.

OR the spring clips are not pushed in at the top because something is wrong with them or they just need to be pushed in tight.

post a couple pics from the side. I can snap some of mine to compare.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:13 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Secret compartment

I am very happy with my '15 and I use the compartment.
Good luck with the installation. It doesn't look easy.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:03 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
It is tough to see from the photos...but the gap on the car at the dealership was tight.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:43 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
A little caulk and some duct tape and you're good to go.

I'm just glad my '15 already has one.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear

Here is what mine looks like, hard to see what exactly the issue is but I am thinking those clips on the sides, or a cable in the way.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:47 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
It is tough to see from the photos...but the gap on the car at the dealership was tight.

Did you ever get this fixed and did you end up making a panel for the front of it?

Old 07-25-2016, 04:16 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
heavyJ - Have to drive to pick up the bits to put it all together. Will have one last try...especially after seeing your pics!

Old 07-31-2016, 04:37 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Finally picked up my ECS tuning order. When first looking at it I thought it was broken as the lid would not lock. After looking at it carefully I a small spring and a cam that was at the end of the plastic slider. I pushed in the spring and moved the slider back ...it then would not close.... I then pushed it up and it lock the door and it could not open!!!
At that point it dawned on me that this cam or pendulum can sit in a neutral position and the door will open and close normally but it the door is closed and the pendulum moves it locks the door and you have to pull the whole thing apart to open it (take it out of the dash). Logic?
If the car receives a heavy impact in the front or back this would lock the door (hopefully) stopping the screwdriver you keep in there from flying out and then getting pushed into the passenger's chest with the air bag deployment.....or something like that!!

Old 03-08-2017, 10:05 AM
bsajko
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to install this in my '16.
Before I order, can someone tell me if the original trim cover can come off/new compartment pushed in, without removing the radio and vent?
If preventing to break the original trim cover is the reason to remove the radio/vent, I'm okay with skipping that part since I see it cannot fit onto the new compartment...

In the video at the beginning of the thread it looks like the guy did it without removing anything other than the trim cover. Does anything need to be modified on the compartment to fit?

Thanks for any tips!

Old 03-08-2017, 10:07 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
I took the radio out. Pain. If you want it to all fit properly that's the way. The SC fits without modification. Just slides in.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: secret compartment