F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Goodbye BMW- Had Enough of my F56

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 05:21 AM
olliesgrandad
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodbye BMW- Had Enough of my F56

Sadly I have sold my Cooper D after 6 months and 15,000 troubled miles.
The car spent 10 days off the road during my ownership.
The final straw was a breakdown requiring recovery and a new steering rack assembly. After 6 days in the dealer with parts backordered to Germany (and me in a Vauxhall rental car!) my Mini was returned with the front n/s wheel arch plastic pulled away and broken. Dealer said that it was recovery that had caused damage (I totally agree) The dealer contacted BMW Mini-Allianz and they just did not bother to reply to any emails or phone calls. After I threatened them with the County Court they asked for 3 more days to respond and then didn't!
Mini Customer service said that it wasn't a manufacturing fault and opted out of helping. Eventually last week my Dealer's service Manager stepped in and got the car repaired (£116 and 30 minutes!).
Following this I had a phone call from MIni- Allianz stating they had not damaged my car and the woman who rang talked to me as if I were a child.

In a 9 month period last year I bought 2 minis and yet BMW are happy to lose my regular business.
On Saturday I bought a Mercedes C220 CDi.
Very sad

Old 03-17-2015, 05:45 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks...

Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
what's a cooper d? is that diesel? or typo for s?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cooper D is a diesel model across the Pond

Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Luxury....10 days off the road. Mine was just in for 3 days for various issues including the fact that some sensor dropped off the back suspension....I've had a New gearbox...waiting for months for new shocks....My dealer trys but BMW are useless....17 days total so far....

Old 03-19-2015, 02:19 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
That indeed sucks. It happened to R56 cars, it's happening to some F56 cars. Sh#t happens, we just don't want it to happen to us. If I were GregoryK I'd have driven that car right through the showroom window Rambo style.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:15 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Went for a drive in a GTI last night. Quick compared to the F56. But those VW dealerships are kind of low res.
Car was nice but you feel like you are sitting high up and that is a much bigger car! Also the fake engine sound can be switched off - but boy it is clear it is fake!
If Mini don't look after me this is very likely what I will buy. I'm sure I will like it in the end. Wish there was more choice.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:54 PM
anotherminiinthegarage
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All car companies and their factory robots are capable of manufacturing a lemon. Between my wife and I, we have had four MINIs. Love them all...

Last edited by anotherminiinthegarage; 03-20-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-20-2015, 03:05 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
similar crap happened with the gen2 rollout....lack of parts and lack of training....my gut saysthe gen3 will become a good car...but first year cars are always a crapshoot.....

Old 03-21-2015, 07:34 AM
olliesgrandad
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Went for a drive in a GTI last night. Quick compared to the F56. But those VW dealerships are kind of low res.
Car was nice but you feel like you are sitting high up and that is a much bigger car! Also the fake engine sound can be switched off - but boy it is clear it is fake!
If Mini don't look after me this is very likely what I will buy. I'm sure I will like it in the end. Wish there was more choice.
I can't believe how good my Mercedes after the Mini. I paid less for it at 18months old with 20,000 miles ( my mini had covered 15,000 in 3 months) than I paid for my Mini. It is the top of the range AMG Sport model with 18 inch alloys and still 18 months Mercedes warranty.
Build quality is in a totally different league and the diesel engine propels it to 62 mph in 8.1 seconds with an auto box and tops out at 143mph. Economy is only about 45mpg than the mini.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Sad how manufacturers' preach customer service then totally rude the new owner repeatedly. I worked in dealerships for 10 years and they mostly all do this.
The 21st century customer service is such façade'. We really need to fight back somehow

Old 03-21-2015, 01:58 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Car was nice but you feel like you are sitting high up and that is a much bigger car! Also the fake engine sound can be switched off - but boy it is clear it is fake! If Mini don't look after me this is very likely what I will buy. I'm sure I will like it in the end. Wish there was more choice.
I had a GTI as a rental a few months ago - a very nice car. Too bad it is sooooo bland appliance looking on the outside.

There are plenty of other fun-car options at the $30-40K price point.
Just stay south of the all-out luxury market, and you will have a dozen decent cars to choose from, starting with a 228i with track package !

Originally Posted by olliesgrandad
I can't believe how good my Mercedes after the Mini. I paid less for it at 18months old with 20,000 miles ( my mini had covered 15,000 in 3 months) than I paid for my Mini. It is the top of the range AMG Sport model with 18 inch alloys and still 18 months Mercedes warranty..
Yeah, no kidding.
You are comparing a used luxury sedan vs. new mass market fun toy coupe. Merc will have better quality of parts throughout, but the two have literary nothing in common: size, performance, interior materials, target market - are all massively different.

As you are seam to be enjoying your luxury sedan, it appears you should have bought a large 4-door Merc/BMW/Audi in the first place !

a

Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 AM
activehybrid
1st Gear
this kind of things happens in every manufacturer

similar thing happened to me. 2016 brand new BMW R 1200 GS malfunctioned, dealer couldn't fix the problem in 30 days(even contacting with BMW Motorrad Factory) and I used my legal rights to give it back.

I asked the person who was in charge to deal this issue only. He said this happens in each car but mostly happen in american cars (dodge and chrysler) and rarely happen in Honda.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:36 AM
Jan Poole
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by activehybrid
this kind of things happens in every manufacturer

similar thing happened to me. 2016 brand new BMW R 1200 GS malfunctioned, dealer couldn't fix the problem in 30 days(even contacting with BMW Motorrad Factory) and I used my legal rights to give it back.

I asked the person who was in charge to deal this issue only. He said this happens in each car but mostly happen in american cars (dodge and chrysler) and rarely happen in Honda.
I can verify that Dodge could not care less about their customers...years ago we bought a new Dodge minivan it was around 24K (1993) We noticed immediately that anything that touched the paint would make a print in it, you could take you fingernail and put it through the paint, bugs hitting the van would leave imprints in the paint. Called Dodge and to their credit they sent someone to our home who looked over the car, admitted something was wrong with the paint but it would "eventually harden" and told us "It is not in Dodge's best interest to do anything about this problem" to which I responded "then it is not in our best interest to buy another Dodge ever" and we drove the van for about another year, the paint did harden it took about 2 months to fully cure. I was appalled at their response and our van was not a fluke, it was green metalflake and for several years after we would see this color van with paint peeling off ours never peeled but we did not keep it long enough for that to happen.