R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Stumble when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little bit misleading here

Originally Posted by DR61
The average speed of the EPA highway mileage test is 55 mph. You can see fuel economy data for at least 25 CM's here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mini/countryman

This site is only good if you take into consideration the fact that the ratings are for all of the Countrymans. This would include both All4 turbos as well as non turbo models.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knownman
This site is only good if you take into consideration the fact that the ratings are for all of the Countrymans. This would include both All4 turbos as well as non turbo models.
True, I wish Fuelly.com would distinguish submodels and transmission type when setting up your car. I always include name/notes to distinguish my submodel and trans. However a very high % of CM's sold are S models, so most of these are S at least. All4's are also common among S models.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM
RobBohn
1st Gear
I normally get 19.9 to 20.5 MiPG for heavy-foot city driving on my All4, but can get 30.1 MPG if I do sustained higher-speed driving under 70mph, with Sport mode off, using cruise control. If I do cruise control above 70mph, I get usually 28-29 MPG. I have the stumble update installed.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 PM
hittlets
2nd Gear
Have the issue, won't fix the problem

[QUOTE=gratuitous;3452248]The Mini Service department performed the version check after I gave them the reference number "SI MI2 02 11", and told me that the update applied to my vehicle.

I noticed the stumbling issue on my 2011 CM All 4S just a couple of times over the last 2 months. I researched the issue here, but I decided to wait until my service to have it fixed. My service was today and I took it in and told them about the stumbling. The service rep told me that he would look at it, and at the end of today he called me to tell me that he couldn't replicate the problem I told him again when I was experiencing the problem, and I told him that I knew there was a software update. He told me that unless they can replicate the problem they can't do anything about the problem.

This is my first Mini. Is it common for them to not address an issue unless they can replicate the problem? I understand if this was a new problem, or one where a reliable fix wasn't available, but since there is a software update that does something to fix the problem, why wouldn't they fix it?

I asked them to keep it overnight so that they could try to replicate the problem. I also wanted to take some time to get advice from you. Should I push the issue with them? Do they really not fix anything unless they can replicate the problem?

Thanks for your help,
Tim

Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
[QUOTE=hittlets;3511710]
Originally Posted by gratuitous
The Mini Service department performed the version check after I gave them the reference number "SI MI2 02 11", and told me that the update applied to my vehicle.

I noticed the stumbling issue on my 2011 CM All 4S just a couple of times over the last 2 months. I researched the issue here, but I decided to wait until my service to have it fixed. My service was today and I took it in and told them about the stumbling. The service rep told me that he would look at it, and at the end of today he called me to tell me that he couldn't replicate the problem I told him again when I was experiencing the problem, and I told him that I knew there was a software update. He told me that unless they can replicate the problem they can't do anything about the problem.

This is my first Mini. Is it common for them to not address an issue unless they can replicate the problem? I understand if this was a new problem, or one where a reliable fix wasn't available, but since there is a software update that does something to fix the problem, why wouldn't they fix it?

I asked them to keep it overnight so that they could try to replicate the problem. I also wanted to take some time to get advice from you. Should I push the issue with them? Do they really not fix anything unless they can replicate the problem?

Thanks for your help,
Tim
Thats a pretty standard response, as the time it takes to update the software makes this an expensive fix.

The hard part is that the problem occurs so seldomly and doesn't throw any codes or errors. My dealer said they were able to replicate the problem, but considering its only happened a half dozen times in a year, that seems unlikely.

Keep it all documented, and have them read the whole TSB that indicates there is no ecu notation when the problem occurs.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hittlets
...Is it common for them to not address an issue unless they can replicate the problem?...
In a classic case of YMMV...

I complained about the stumbling on acceleration when arranging for my first 'official' visit to be serviced. They did the service and reported on their research about my complaint - they couldn't reproduce the problem but there was an update. They scheduled a return visit to do the update. I got a loaner and they called after half a day to say the update was complete.

They did not resist performing the update and, although I was prepared, they proposed it.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
How bad did your car stumble? If it was enough that you became concerned for the safety of your family as in my case than I would stand your ground.

It is in their system. It won't get logged by the computer and happens randomly.

If it were me, it would be a no brainer. But I also will return an under cooked steak.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:51 PM
eggmole
2nd Gear
This has happened to me alos. I have brought it to the dealer twice and aqdvised them of the issue and the proposed fix for it, but each time they say that they were unable to replicate the issue and the do the standard reset and make sure I am running premium gas and the engine cleaner.

I will continue to bring it back each time it happens until they run the update. I have told my SA but he said based on it not causing and lights they cannot run the update. Bu ti make sure he is documenting the issue so i have proof. Luckily the dealer is close and I get the loaner each time. So they can keep wastining money on a loaner until they do it.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eggmole
This has happened to me alos. I have brought it to the dealer twice and aqdvised them of the issue and the proposed fix for it, but each time they say that they were unable to replicate the issue and the do the standard reset and make sure I am running premium gas and the engine cleaner.

I will continue to bring it back each time it happens until they run the update. I have told my SA but he said based on it not causing and lights they cannot run the update. Bu ti make sure he is documenting the issue so i have proof. Luckily the dealer is close and I get the loaner each time. So they can keep wastining money on a loaner until they do it.
Another example of an SA not reading the TSB at all

Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Mine never caused lights... but it did do the stumble/jumble. My service department did not even know of the update until I asked them to look into it as I had heard of it from others. They had no problem running and updating the software while it was in for the recall. Not sure why some dealerships make it so tough on it's customers. And I run the best petrol I can when I can….never touched the engine cleaner stuff nor was it ever recomended that I do. I feel for ya……

Old 05-15-2012, 05:02 PM
hittlets
2nd Gear
Thanks all,

Glad to know that I am not crazy to think that it would be unreasonable to have this addressed (besides the of time to have it done). My service guy told me today that they just can't replicate it, but assured me that he is concerned about the issue and if I experience it again to call him and he will look into it. I applaud him for appearing concerned.

Knowman, I wouldn't say that I am not concerned, but as it only has happened a couple of times, I am not too conceded. I am more concerned about the jerking motion I get when I go over bumps during a turn, but I've learned how to control that.

Eggmole, I am in the same boat as you. My Mini dealer is only a few miles from me (probably around 10 or so), so I will be able to take it in, but it isn't in my direction of work or what I normally do. Not that I am complaining (well, maybe a little ;-)

Thanks again for your help and advice. I will try to replicate and provide specific details on when it happens.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
[QUOTE=hittlets;3511710]
Originally Posted by gratuitous
The Mini Service department performed the version check after I gave them the reference number "SI MI2 02 11", and told me that the update applied to my vehicle.

Thanks for your help,
Tim
Did u try giving them the SIM number? And if theyre being fing dicks about it.....I would go to another dealer or contact mini directly and get them to contact your dealer....I would flip out on that dude

Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Agreed, not sure why.....there is such a difference between dealers when it comes to service and what can and cant be done, as I mentioned a few posts back.
Not that it makes matters better... But the past few weeks I've felt the stumbling/hesitation start to re-appear...no where near that of the main issues I had but brought it up to service last week in conversation in regards to a JCW exhaust soon to be installed and they were going to check if any additional updates are out or reinstall the original update. No issues at all NCM here in Ct

Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
Yesterday I took the car out and the motor was getting real close to stumbling again. Mind you it is 70 degrees out and it rained the night before. I'm pretty confident if the temperature were to drop below 50 degrees I'd be walking.
I have to take the car in again as our replacement car is apparently at least another 4 weeks out. Of course the service manger has left the company so I guess I'll have to go thru the song and dance again.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM
bunhud
1st Gear
I have been watching this stumbling thread, for some time. I recently was due for my scheduled maintenance. I told the service that my car was stumbling and at the worst times. I told him about the forum and the update that has been discussed. He seemed skeptical, at best. They came and got my car on May 30.

As of today, I still don't have my car back. The service guy told me that something in my radio/computer was not accepting the update and that they needed to replace that panel of components. Apparently that part had to come from overseas.

I was told, yesterday, that I would get my car, today. I am not holding my breath. It has been 13 days, now. I really miss my baby. I have a loaner, but it is not as nice as my car; not nearly as outfitted with options. This is making me crazy.

In addition to me just telling my woes, I need to ask a question. It never dawned on me until I was reading a different forum that it might be appropriate to tip 1) the employees (there have been two different ones that have brought two loaners to me) or 2) the service guy. It seems logical, but I am not made of money and I am bit frustrated with the service guy cause he has avoided me a couple of times, I think, by not calling me with updates on the progress or should I say, lack thereof.

Should I be tipping the employees that are delivering the loaners? If so, how much? I wouldn't mind throwing $5 to $10 at her (so far both have been women), but is this standard etiquette? Am I hated already for not tipping the first two?

Should I plan on tipping the service guy so he doesn't give me poor service, next time?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
There is a new update which does not conflict with the panel and no you do not have to tip them it is their job to serve you properly.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
You don't tip them. They are well paid. Did you actually have a problem with the stumble or just worried that yo u might?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 PM
bunhud
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALIENLOVE
There is a new update which does not conflict with the panel and no you do not have to tip them it is their job to serve you properly.
I don't think it conflicted. What they said is that my components would not take the update and that it was probably a good thing they discovered this while everything was still under warranty.

Originally Posted by Mojito
You don't tip them. They are well paid. Did you actually have a problem with the stumble or just worried that yo u might?
Yes, I was having issues with stumbling. I always have to cross 3 lanes of freeway, very quickly, after merging, during rush hour. Most of the time, my car was stumbling before it would kick in and it made it very difficult and even dangerous.

I picked up my car, this afternoon. So far, so good. We will see how it goes... And no, I didn't tip anyone.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Hodaka
2nd Gear
Wink

Just had mine done yesterday

I live about 4 hr drive from the dealer I bought the car from, next nearest is 8 hrs. I happened to have a business trip Calgary (8 hrs), so made an appointment ahead of time. I had experienced the stumble a few times, including one when pulling out to pass. I mentioned this, and the SIM # to the SA over the phone.
Dropped the car off thurs morning, picked it up same evening. Had a blast hooting around town in a Cooper S 2-door 2012 for the day running errands.

BTW, CM4S manual. Got 6.7 l/100 KM on the trip here. Highway
, couple mountain passes, speeds from 80km/hr to 120. Pretty good, I'd say. That's 35mpg US - In a car that's rated at 31. No hypermileing or whatever it's called, either - just normal driving.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:18 PM
52804x4
5th Gear
My Feb. 2012 production date, just had this issue yeasterday!!! :sigh:

Old 06-22-2012, 12:52 PM
bunhud
1st Gear
Just thought I would throw in an update. Car is running great, knock on wood.

I also got a real appreciation for my specific car. I had a Countryman loaner, albeit a very different optioned vehicle. I can really appreciate mine, now. It was very unremarkable, in almost every way.. not All4, not turbo, no bells and whistles, at all. The only thing, not necessarily better but different, was the color - red, which turned some heads.

Mine is brown with white top and chrome mirrors.. very beautiful to me plus I have this fantastic custom decal on the back. Mine is also loaded.... Bottom line is - I LOVE MY car!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
So is everyones Countryman doing good after this update?? What will happen to the coding that anyone has done? Just checking in.. Also does anyone 2012 countryman's have this problem in auto all4s?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
The update dropped my average miles per gallon from 25 to 23 or 22.5.

I also had some slight bogging issues but all is hopefully better now.

Dealer bought back the other Lemon and I have a brand new light coffee and white 2012!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Mical
4th Gear
I had the "stumbling on acceleration" but it was more exaggerated when AC was on. I installed Oxspeeds' BOV spring and it worked like a charm. There's a separate thread on the BOV spring. I found it easy to install (others didn't) but for $10 & shipping it was an inexpensive fix.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
How come people found it hard to install and you installed it easily? I have read that thread from the beginning, and it seems to me to install this, is very difficult and time consuming.

Quick Reply: Stumble when accelerating?