R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Stumble when accelerating?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Thorn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post, my apologies in advance.

I'm glad I found this thread. I had to return my '11 S on the second day of ownership for these stumble/hesitation issues. That was at the 70 mile mark.
After the dealership put on 300 miles, they handed it back saying "can't find anything wrong".

Fast forward 3 months and 7K miles later, dealing with the issue constantly...I attempted to change lanes on the freeway after an abrupt stop in my lane, it fell flat on it's face as a truck drove right up my backside. Scared the crud out of the wife and I. In any other vehicle it would have been a safe lane change.

Brought it back where, surprisingly, they managed to have a code or two thrown (so they tell me). First spark plugs 2 and 4, which they replaced. Immediately plug 1 coded out. They changed all 4 and gave it back to me.

2 days later, what a surprise, still doing it.

I'll be duping it off in their laps again on Friday but don't expect any positive results at this point.

Thanks for reading,
Thorn

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My CMS S has been at the dealer for one week with this problem. They are unable to duplicate it. Mini is unwilling to replace the fuel pump, which the service advisor said is most likely the problem, since everything else checks out. No codes thrown. I bought this car for my 16 year old daughter, she just got her license one week ago, and has not been able to drive her car. I am very concerned, since this is a safety issue. What if the car cuts out when she, or myself or wife are turning left in an intersection?

Old 09-03-2011, 01:43 PM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
Well, picked it up. Nothing done. Only thing I found out is advisor said other CM have come in with same problem and it usually happens with 2 bars of fuel or less and when accelerating uphill. So I will make sure I never go below 3 bars of fuel. Maybe it will not occur then. Right!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:00 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
I was on totally flat ground when mine has occurred. I don't think it's a fuel problem. I believe it to be a mapping problem. But Im not a engineer, just a owner who has it happen once a month...

Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Took mine in for another issue and decided to mention the stumble I
experienced. When I picked it up today they said there was a TSB out on this
and they fixed it with a reprogram of the Computer. We will see, but the same reprogram also cleared my window not going down all the way issue so I am hopeful.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Thorn
Neutral
That's good news Magpullin.
Let us know if it did the trick.
Do you know the TSB # by chance?
Mine's been in the shop for the past 10 days, they're still floundering trying to figure it out.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 AM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
Magpullin,

Thanks. I will be heading to the stealer soon enough to get it fixed. Its been bugging me. Happened yesterday again.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Thorn
That's good news Magpullin.
Let us know if it did the trick.
Do you know the TSB # by chance?
Mine's been in the shop for the past 10 days, they're still floundering trying to figure it out.

Thanks.
Unfortunately no, I could not get any info on the TSB. I asked the sales manager ( who was the closest at the time) and he said it was a Mini Internal Document that was not accessible. I know that is BS, but decided to not argue the point. This dealership is pretty crappy. Overall I am very dissapointed with them and may not buy another Mini because I won't buy here (San Antonio) and Austin is just too far.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:49 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
Contacted my dealer and he said no such TSB exists and he had never heard of a mini acting like that before. Let the run a round begin..

Old 09-26-2011, 01:46 AM
JoanManuel
2nd Gear
Hi guys.. another one in the list today in highway at 140-150 km/h .. when i accelerates.. half second or bit more without power... this morning twice..! really concerned!!..

Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JoanManuel
Hi guys.. another one in the list today in highway at 140-150 km/h .. when i accelerates.. half second or bit more without power... this morning twice..! really concerned!!..
If it happened twice like that I would take it in, even if it didn't throw a code.
Maybe take it out tomorrow where it is safe and try to reproduce the stumble again. Could be the high pressure fuel pump, which are known fail quite often on these engines.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:22 AM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALL4TURBO
Contacted my dealer and he said no such TSB exists and he had never heard of a mini acting like that before. Let the run a round begin..
Yeah, figures..... My dealer has been avoiding the issue with me.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Frankendoc
Neutral
Just a quick update -

Had the car in a few times for this problem since originally posting. They cannot reproduce it and the engine codes are only showing an occasional "super ping" (service managers words). We run quality 91+ octane at all times.

In the recent past I noticed a big puff of white smoke with an especially noticeable hesitation and took it in today to get it sorted. They cannot reproduce it again.

It usually happens around 2-3 times a week at this point. The dealership denies any other similar complaints from other owners.

Last edited by Frankendoc; 10-06-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 PM
minipursuit
Neutral
is this a turbo related issue

does the base engine do this too or is it a turbo related issue.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 AM
lkwillson
Neutral
I am having the same problem but my mechanic is getting all air related error codes when he puts my MINI on a diagnostic computer. Would like to hear if anyone finds anything out!!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 AM
JoanManuel
2nd Gear
My mecanic asked to Germany and they say the issue will be resolved remaping with lastest software.. they say when are installing software the "module radio" was damaged and the car stay 10 days waiting for this module... i dont know what changes are really make... but car goes better... even in 1rst gear... when starting... At this moment the problem not was apeared...but.... only 400 kms after repair...

Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Papero
Neutral
My mecanic asked to Germany and they say the issue will be resolved remaping with lastest software.. they say when are installing software the "module radio" was damaged and the car stay 10 days waiting for this module... i dont know what changes are really make... but car goes better... even in 1rst gear... when starting... At this moment the problem not was apeared...but.... only 400 kms after repair...
Hello, I'm from Italy and i have these same problems...My dealer has remapped the software two weeks ago but the problems still remain...I have also problems with the power...the car seems to have less hps than 184...yesterday on highway, at almost 45 mph, in 4th gear and full throttle I had a Nissa Micra side by side....

Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM
JoanManuel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Papero
Hello, I'm from Italy and i have these same problems...My dealer has remapped the software two weeks ago but the problems still remain...I have also problems with the power...the car seems to have less hps than 184...yesterday on highway, at almost 45 mph, in 4th gear and full throttle I had a Nissa Micra side by side....
ciao! for me il "remapping" is working well.. i feel more power... at low revolutions... the car in standard mode is less "sleep", and engine feeling is better... (near to "sport" mode .. when sport button is pushed)..

Papero: qui ce un forum italiano sulla Countryman .
http://www.motortribe.it/community/forum/f173/

Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Papero
Neutral
ciao! for me il "remapping" is working well.. i feel more power... at low revolutions... the car in standard mode is less "sleep", and engine feeling is better... (near to "sport" mode .. when sport button is pushed)..

Papero: qui ce un forum italiano sulla Countryman .
http://www.motortribe.it/community/forum/f173/
Thanks Joan, the only result by remapping i have is that the minimun is irregular and the start/stop works no more.... But i've just an appointment with BMW assistance next week!!!
p.s.. i'm already member of motortribe...thanks a lot

Old 10-24-2011, 09:32 AM
JoanManuel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Papero
Thanks Joan, the only result by remapping i have is that the minimun is irregular and the start/stop works no more.... But i've just an appointment with BMW assistance next week!!!
p.s.. i'm already member of motortribe...thanks a lot
I think BMW assistance need remaps first the mind of their workers... before let touch so complex engines.. (I think the MINI software is really difficult to handle... ) .. I was looked in forums for another BMW dealer with better prestige in mantenaince than this one was sell my car... I hope it will work..

Old 11-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Tahoe Ed
1st Gear
I happend to me on Monday while getting on the freeway. I was only 3 miles from the dealer and I went there directly. I got a call today as was told there was an error in the computer mapping and they reprogramed the car with the latest firmware. Here is what the service order states:

"4734 Software error Test drove the vehicle and verified concern. On test drive I found that when under load around 3000 rpms the vehicle would studder or hesitate. Performed a vehicle test and found no related faults. Found SIM 12 02 11 that states this concern is due to a software error in the DME. Performed complete vehicle programming as requested in the SIM. Test drove the vehicle and verified that the vehicle is performing within range of mini spec.?"

I noted that the trip meter, which was always displayed on the screen along with milage etc, is now on its own screen with total miles. Not a big deal but I liked the old set up. Drove it home from the dealer and put it in Sport for a 4000' assent on mountain roads. Drove well, probably better than before the reflash. 4800 miles on the clock.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 PM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
Tahoe Ed

Thanks for posting that! I am going to print that out and take it to my dealer,as my car has been checked and of course they would do NOTHING. Hopefully they will do that reflash. I hope it actually fixes the problem. Keep us posted if your car is rid of the problem.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:43 PM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Same happened to me once again which makes third time and I dropped it to the MINI again. Yesterday they called and told me there is a new software called Puma which I dont know what it is, now I am waiting for them to resolve the problem this time, I requested a full report signed and stamped this time and if not solved will give my CM back. Will put a copy of the report here when handed to me.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM
JoanManuel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALIENLOVE
Same happened to me once again which makes third time and I dropped it to the MINI again. Yesterday they called and told me there is a new software called Puma which I dont know what it is, now I am waiting for them to resolve the problem this time, I requested a full report signed and stamped this time and if not solved will give my CM back. Will put a copy of the report here when handed to me.
Hi, at this moment any other trouble with my car... .. And I tried to reproduce the issue with same conditions.. (even if ilegal in my country accelerates from 130kmph to 150 kmph )
I hope your (our) problems was finished with last software update.. Have good luck!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Hodaka
2nd Gear
Just had this yesterday. Uphill, half tank, 3rd gear, accelerating at low-ish rpms (maybe around 3000?). 1/4 second hiccup, and then it was fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stumble when accelerating?